PDA

View Full Version : How to Install Java on Mandrake 9.1

IronBits
05-08-2004, 12:42 PM
the-mk

OK, here the exact instructions where to download and what to do with it:

Visit the http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html page, go to section "Download J2SE v 1.4.2_02", choose the Downloadbutton on "Linux RPM in self-extracting file" in the "SDK"-column, then read the license-agreement if you want to, scroll to the bottom and click "ACCEPT", download the "j2sdk-1_4_2_02-linux-i586-rpm.bin (as said on homepage: about 35 MB to download), execute the file ./j2sdk-1_4_2_02-linux-i586-rpm.bin and read the license agreement again and agree with their terms with "yes" , it's unpacking the j2sdk-1_4_2_02-linux-i586.rpm file into current directory, execute the rpm-file with rpm -iv j2sdk-1_4_2_02-linux-i586.rpm, let it work...
Then java is installed in /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_02

But, to have MySQL-support with Java, we need the MySQL Connector/J 3.0:
Visit the http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-jdbc-stable.html page,
choose a compressed Version (*.tar.gz or *.zip, whatever you want) and download it. Open the compressed file you downloaded with your favourite archiver and search for a file called "mysql-connector-java-3.0.9-stable-bin.jar", uncompress it and copy this file to the following directory: /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_02/jre/lib/ext

Now we have installed java, but the disadvantage is that we need to call the java-interpreter with the whole path (i.e. /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_02/bin/java myjavaclassfile).
How to improve this situation: add the /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_02/bin to your PATH-variable.
:thumbs:
Does anyone have the instructions for adding this to the PATH variable for system level calls, or so it's in everyone's PATH when they logon or not?

Bok
05-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Not sure on mandrake, but probably look into altering

/etc/profile

or you can just go into

cd /usr/local/bin

and do

ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_02/bin/java java (creates a symlink)

repeat for any of the other commands

Bok