PDA

View Full Version : stats.dbestern.net stats.free-dc.org

IronBits
05-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Some of you may have noticed both sites are down, :( and are in fact, one site ;)

I'll be trying to install Mandrake 10 and get it back online sometime tonight, without losing any data.

Thanks for being patient. :smoking:

the-mk
05-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your hard work! :cheers:

Did you buy Mandrake 10 or did you download the *.iso's?

Tell us how it's working...

IronBits
05-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I got the .ISOs downloaded last night (all 4 CDs worth)
Burned one this morning before I went to work, and then ran out of CD-Rs :bang:
Will burn the rest when I get home and do the upgrade. :trash:

It's what I get for having 8.2, upgraded it to 9.1, then 9.2 beta, then 9.2 when it was released.
I suppose all the other urpmi packages I added, fubar'd something worse than just deleting the libc.so.6 :(

It is behaving strangely, so I hope 10 will fix the whole problem, if not, I'll ftp the latest configs etc. to another winders Server for safe keeping and put it all back together again.

Could take me a few days on the long side...

guru
05-12-2004, 02:29 PM
IB, don't use 9.2 if you can help it. I rebuilt my game server with 9.2 (was 9.1) and funny things started to happen. The system got so bad I had to do a clean build with 9.1 again. It's been working fine since then.

I've also got Mandrake 10 but I haven't had time to install it on any systems. :(

guru

IronBits
05-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Now you tell me :rolleyes: ! :)

Ok, Mandrake 10 is installed, on a NEW 120gb HDD, the other one just wouldn't let me get it back.

I've asked Bok to take a look and see if he can get the OLD 2nd HDD automounted so I can grab the data off of it...

Getting there! :bang:

magnav0x
05-12-2004, 11:14 PM
I'd help ya out IronBits but I get impatient. Last time I had a drive that wouldn't cooperate I wrote out some vulger stuff in binary to every cylinder of the drive and rendered it usless for the rest of eternity.

IronBits
05-13-2004, 12:08 AM
That's ok, I got an idea, while Bok is helping me, you COULD be helping Bok :Pokes: :rotfl:

Chinasaur
05-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Best of luck, let us know if you would like some donations.

:cheers:

magnav0x
05-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Yeah I've been drinking, dunno if you want me to help Bok :rotfl: I'm working on the top secret thing already...remember?!

IronBits
05-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Well, Bok got the old drive mounted, and when I tried to copy the 'website' over to the new HDD, it froze.
I just rebooted it, so maybe Bok can see if he can straighten out the file system on the old drive first I guess... :trash:

IronBits
05-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
Best of luck, let us know if you would like some donations.
:cheers: Thanks, but I will *never* except hard earned money from others :)
Everyone should build their own pharms and help out that way :D
:smoking:

Bok
05-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
Well, Bok got the old drive mounted, and when I tried to copy the 'website' over to the new HDD, it froze.
I just rebooted it, so maybe Bok can see if he can straighten out the file system on the old drive first I guess... :trash:

Tried an fsck on the partition and it looks like it has crashed the machine again :(

We'll try one more time, then I think we need to look at alternate measures.

Bok

Thor
05-13-2004, 11:32 AM
You mean like freak out and use a huge load of explosives?!?:jester: :crazy: :jester: :bonk:

:trash:

Greets Thor:rotfl:

Bok
05-13-2004, 11:37 AM
hmmm, :tempted: perhaps just a :haddock: might do

But then my trusty OpenBSD box has been used many a time to get data off of drives when linux can't read them :)

However that will require the drive being shipped across country

:bang:

Bok

Darkness Productions
05-13-2004, 12:08 PM
IronBits:

Suggest you take the drive and run some geometry tests on it first.... http://grc.com has one that works pretty well.

If it fails that, the drive is teh ded...

Paratima
05-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Agree with DP. As long as it isn't No Tech File System, Spinrite can tell ya if it's revivable. Great proggie. Actually the first diagnostic I ever bought, version 1.1.

I don't see a brand mentioned. If it's a WD, they have a great set of diagnostics here (http://support.wdc.com/download/). As a matter of fact, WD requires you to run these diagnostics before they'll accept a drive back for service! They'll also run on some, but not all, other drive brands.

IronBits
05-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Ok, finally got all the data off the old drive (yup, still locks up) and pulled the plug on it.
Bok should have er running in no time now. :thumbs: :D

/me hugs spinrite disk :smoking:

willy1
05-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Man, got outta that pickle, dint ya!

Bok
05-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
Ok, finally got all the data off the old drive (yup, still locks up) and pulled the plug on it.
Bok should have er running in no time now. :thumbs: :D

/me hugs spinrite disk :smoking:

yup, mysql is up with all dbs, let me rsync them to my server for now too :)

Apache looks like it accepting https connections only.....

http://stats.dbestern.net works :p

Bok

Paratima
05-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, maybe Real Soon Now... :rolleyes: :Pokes:

magnav0x
05-13-2004, 11:11 PM
We waiting for DNS to kick in?

IronBits
05-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Phil, Chris and Glen, you got an email from me. :cheers:

dBestern.net is no more, time to retire another project.

Nothing but an IIS and FTgate mail server behind a firewall.

I'll try to combine some of what was on dbestern.net on dbestern.com and change the DNS.

:beep: :whip:

:trash:

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-14-2004, 04:54 PM
:notworthy :notworthy @ IB - Time for all to bid a fair well to that site with a :cheers: or 6 and also to celbrate the birth of a new site another :cheers: or 6 ;)