PDA

View Full Version : Comments on new layout of Stats

Bok
05-16-2004, 05:15 PM
IB and myself have been playing around with the stylesheet and have come up with

this (http://stats.open-dc.org/d2ol2) and this (http://stats.open-dc.org/index2.php)

Better than the current ones, worse, about the same ???

Comments anyone please....

Bok

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-16-2004, 05:35 PM
The first one is best.

IronBits
05-16-2004, 07:22 PM
The first one is much easier to READ.

The second one, YGM, but again, much easier to READ.

We are trying to match the new theme of Free-DC.org :p :)

willy1
05-16-2004, 09:14 PM
The first one is much easier to read - the milestone thing with all the white (cream, tan?) space isn't the greatest thing - but I'd still prefer the first one.

Bok
05-16-2004, 09:16 PM
You mean the headers for the milestones?

Perhaps they should be the same as the results headers ?

Bok

willy1
05-16-2004, 09:35 PM
No- the headers are fine.

The list of milestones as it is right now with about 10 entries leaves a huge empty space to the right of the milestones list. that's on a 1024x768 screen, and I know a lot of folks use higher resolutions than that.

Taking another look at it, you could probably get yesterday's and today's milestones side by side, similar to the old members/new members arrangement.

Bok
05-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Good point, hadn't thought about that.....

I'll try it :|party|:

:cheers:

Bok

Evilmoose
05-16-2004, 11:58 PM
I like the colors on the first one, It would make the second easier to read.
I dont like the bigger font, just need more contrast like the first one.

QIbHom
05-17-2004, 12:41 AM
There are things I like and don't like about both.

On the first one, I like the milestones and new members being right there. If there is a multiplier (I don't run D2OL), it would be nice to know what it is. Will folks leaving go under new members? In a way, it'd be nice to know if anyone left, but it is really much more important to know who is new, and better to focus on the positive.

I have no idea what the old members is, but that may be because I don't run this project.

The mix of tans and blues is a bit odd. Then again, I guess I'm getting used to it. I do like the change in colours in the columns. Having the critical columns in khaki is really nice.

For some reason, I find it easier to read columns of numbers when they are centred, and columns of text when they aren't. I have no idea if other folks feel the same way. This may be because I am badly dysgraphic and mildly dyslexic, and I need all the clues I can get.

I found the second one really confusing. I had to stare at it a bit before I figured out it was mixing projects. I like the concept, the execution was just a bit jarring.

Going into the second page, the lack of colours when I go into the DF stats in the columns (unlike the first one) makes it hard to trace my stats across, and to see what those around me are doing. Perhaps if you could mouseover a row to highlight it, combined with marking the critical columns in another colour?

Going into the third screen on the second one (personal stats), I like it a lot. The "Time to Barbecue" is amusing. It is clear, and pretty much presents the information I consider critical. I'm not sure what the scores graph represents - total scores, daily average? The only thing I'd like to see there is a time stamp for when the stats were pulled.

Nice job, guys. Just a little tweaking, and they'll be lovely.

Chinasaur
05-17-2004, 03:26 AM
Bok,

I prefer the first page. With the column order back to what it was under the old dbestern page...yesterdays stats next to the name. I find it hard to track across and read the data for some reason.

StarDog
05-17-2004, 08:49 AM
I prefer the first one. It was easier to read. Especially that part about my 250K milestone! :bouncy: :elephant:

Bok
05-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone..

some notes ...

These were two examples of the same stylesheet.

The first was just a run of the D2OL pages, the second is the 'main' page giving links to all the projects plus a bit more.. the links are to the pages as they currently stand and not with the new stylesheeet.

That being said, there were some great suggestions which I will take into account. HTML/CSS is not my strong point though :p

Thanks again!

Bok :D

Chinasaur
05-17-2004, 09:58 PM
One more request?

Alternating light/dark bands so it's easier to track across?

:cheers:

MerePeer
05-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Looks great: http://stats.open-dc.org/d2ol/
Nice work.:thumbs:

Chinasaur
05-20-2004, 09:42 PM
The moving line is a nice touch. Bright but readable.

Bok
05-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah, thought I'd get it all out there live, many eyes are easier to spot problems :)

There are a few problems to work out yet, such as the user disappearing when hovering over :eek: IB's provided a fix for that in the .css I need to put in.

Thanks IB for the highlight piece :cheers:

I'm working on the userstats.php piece now, making it fit in.

I've fixed the conquests/roadkills so they are sorted by days and also put in some switches to limit by team and/or within 100 days. Maybe I'll graph the intersections of those people around?

Got some other things too :)

btw did anayone notice the new 'metrics' at the top of the team pages?? I could add more there if they are doable, any suggestions ? Perhaps 'top climber' etc

Bok

Evilmoose
05-21-2004, 12:07 AM
I love it, but one thing I would still like to see if possible, the abitity to sort rank by column. If we could click on the column header and resort the rank based on that column it would be easy to see where yoyu fall daily, weekly and so on.

I dont know whats involved to do that, but it would be nice.

Nice work so far:notworthy

IronBits
05-21-2004, 12:15 AM
That's what the HISTORY stats are for, click on the Y under the History Column for the project of your choice.
You will get 30 days worth of History stats to burn your eyes out with, along with all your Team Mates to compare by. :rotfl:

But, there is a java:script lib or something that will do that within a table.

I think Cmarc uses just such a thing with his stats. hmmmm.... ;)

Bok
05-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Evilmoose
I love it, but one thing I would still like to see if possible, the abitity to sort rank by column. If we could click on the column header and resort the rank based on that column it would be easy to see where yoyu fall daily, weekly and so on.

I dont know whats involved to do that, but it would be nice.

Nice work so far:notworthy

Yeah,

I've heard rumors of that in javascript :p but I know next to nothing about it...perhaps someone could enlighten me :)

If it was all dynamic then it would be fairly easy to do of course, but then it would be more CPU intensive on the server, which I'm loathe to do. I could write out some extra static pages presorted and use php to present them depending on clicking the headers perhaps. Maybe just on the Free-DC pages, not all teams...

Bok

:D

**EDIT***

hmmm,

sortable tables (http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/)

Doesn't look that hard :) IB, you have PM