PDA

View Full Version : Proth Sieve Crashing?!

royanee
05-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Umm, proth_sieve_cmov is crashing, hard. All the time. I'm using an XP machine with the latest version of proth sieve, but every so often if just dies and asks to send information to MicroSoft. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

AMD XP 2200+ @ 1.8 GHz

By the way, prime95 was running just fine for months, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

royanee
05-26-2004, 11:28 PM
It appears that restarting the client after each crash is working for now, but I'm thinking this is a problem.

Keroberts1
05-26-2004, 11:31 PM
I had that problem when my CPU was overheating coudl that be the cause?

royanee
05-27-2004, 01:06 AM
I don't think so... I can touch the heatsink and it's not that warm... Is there a way I could check if that was the problem? I mean, if it was overheating, it should be throwing some errors in prime95... at least that what my experience has been when I've had computer problems.

Death
05-27-2004, 03:28 AM
can you post microsoft error report here or check applications logs in mmc

mklasson
05-27-2004, 11:40 AM
memory problems? too overclocked mem? sounds odd that prime95 should've worked fine in that case though.

EDIT: oh, btw, maybe it's service-pack related? I seem to recall someone at rieselsieve saying they had problems with proth_sieve and some service pack beta for xp or something like that.

Death
05-27-2004, 12:42 PM
I use SP2 XP beta but sieving gone well

proth_sieve, proth_sieve_cmov and proth_sieve_sse all works fine......

royanee
05-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Well, it's been fine for the past day or two. I'm beginning to think that it is heat problems. But it must be a delicate difference, because I don't see a change in other programs. I'm hoping that it keeps working for now. But I'll attach the crash log for Death if it happens again.

Death
05-31-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm not a Microsof%k engeneer and maybe this logs don't help at all, bat at least we can try =))

And cany also check your CPU cooler? You must blow a dust from him...

royanee
05-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Death
I'm not a Microsof%k engeneer and maybe this logs don't help at all, bat at least we can try =))

And cany also check your CPU cooler? You must blow a dust from him...

It's pretty clean in there, but it seems to crash when I get the computer doing real multitasking. I looked through the error report and here's the interesting stuff:

AVruntime_error
AVfailure
ios_base
basic_ostream
basic_streambuf
basic_filebuf
basic_istream
Copyright (c) 1992-2001 by P.J. Plauger, licensed by Dinkumware, Ltd. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
AVbad_alloc
AVexception
AVbad_cast
AVout_of_range
AVlogic_error
AVlength_error

It may be just that all that stuff exists in the related files, but maybe it's trying to write to or read from a file and it gets and error then crashes. Maybe it's not verifying that the file was opened or closed successfully?

royanee
07-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Well, the computer ended up having problems, leading to an interesting "windows has recovered from a serious error" message. Windows was telling me that it was a memory problem (first helpful crash info I'd seen) and told me to run a program to create a boot disk that would check my memory for errors. It appears that one of my sticks had a few memory locations that would always return 1 or 0, resulting in crashes for many programs (when they started using the higher memory). So the program was working fine unless many things were running and it got pushed into the bad memory area. I pulled out that memory stick and the computer hasn't crashed since. The only problem is that there's a slowdown on the computer (no real effect on proth_sieve, but I didn't expect one). At least I got that figured out. For anyone running Windows who wants to check their memory, here's a wonderful link (the only time I can be excited about a piece of MS software, hehe):

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Under Download Windows Memory Diagnostic, but you probably knew that. It runs off a boot disc, so as long as you have an x86 box, the boot disc should work, but you'll probably need to create the disc in Windows, but you probably knew that too... well I hope it helps someone. :)