PDA

View Full Version : Personal Milestone

Smiling Carnivore
04-15-2002, 04:09 PM
Hey I know it is not much compared to some of my teammates, but I just broke the top 1000. :D It may not be much, but it is a big deal to me. Now I just need to get rolling on upping my production some....

FoBoT
04-15-2002, 05:11 PM
w00t!
:cheers:

:|party|:

:thumbs:

good job teammate! :)

IronBits
04-15-2002, 07:35 PM
Great job! I'm coming for ya, don't get to comfy :D

Condor
04-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Congrats Smiley :D

Smiling Carnivore
04-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
Great job! I'm coming for ya, don't get to comfy :D

Good, I think I may have to concede my race with MTP at least temporarily (I am so tired of waiting for RMA's) so it will be good to have someone bearing down on me again. :D In other words, bring it on! :smoking:

MTP
04-16-2002, 11:39 PM
I figured you were just waiting to unload a huge stock pile of work units on me.

Still haven't built/bought a 4th machine. :cry:

And to make matters worse, I broke my clavicle last monday playing (of all things) soccer with a bunch of cub-scouts! Damn 10 year olds kick my ass! Makes is very hard to type with 1 finger from one hand :help:

Smiling Carnivore
04-17-2002, 02:28 AM
Ouch MTP, that has got to hurt, Only thing I have ever had broken was both the bones in my left forearm and that was painful enough. I hope you mend quickly.

BTW, I am stockpiling, I won't tell you how much, but I have quite a bit stockpiled. Not sure if it is enough yet, I may just wait until I get my sick machine back up and then dump enough to catch back up all at once... :D Of course that is assuming that this damn RMA ever gets back to me. :bang: I would really enjoy going for more than a month without some sort of hardware failure....

MTP
04-17-2002, 04:33 PM
6 months running 24/7 on the VP6 machine, would have been over a year but I had to go from the beta XP to retail version.

Running for about 2 months straight with no issues on the XP1700+ box and the 1.3G Duron box.

Just damn lucky I guess :jester:

With IB's output he will past us both in few.

IronBits
04-17-2002, 05:27 PM
<huff puff huff puff> I'm trying, hold still! :D

Smiling Carnivore
04-17-2002, 11:22 PM
All of this has happened since the beginning of the year, the tally so far is:

2 IBM 40G 7200RPM HDD
(original and it's replacement crapped out on me)
1 WD 20G 7200RPM HDD

1 Azza 361BS MB
(the other one I bought and replacement seem rock solid)
1 Epox EP-8K7A+ MB
(this was my main box, this one hurt my production the most)

I am currently waiting on the Epox MB to come back, it's been out a week or so. I hope it gets back faster then my IBM HDD that took about 5-6 weeks for the original RMA, thankfully the replacement for the replacement went faster.

Also, slightly off-topic, but does any one know of a good inexpensive DDR MB appropriate for a cheap cruncher? (meaning as much as possible integrated.)

MTP
04-18-2002, 09:33 AM
The FIC AD11XP (http://www.fica.com/products/motherboard/Socket462/AD11.stm) is a AMD mb that uses DDR ram and you can get it for about $60 from pricewatch.
Now I'm looking to get a PCCHIPS
841LR (http://www.pcchips.com/index2.html) because it can use either DDR or SDRAM and it has built in video, LAN, and sound. It also runs about $63 on price watch.
To me the Pcchips is the best bargain because you don't need a vid card for it uses both types of ram (I've got some SDRAM sticks lying around). Since it will be a cruncher board you can have a XP1700+ cpu for $90 and the board for $63, add shipping and your looking at a go system for under $200. (well for me anyway, I already have old hdds, cases, ram nics, etc to thrown into it).
Oh and depending where you order the pcchips board from they may sell you the AMR modem for $10 extra, it works great under Win2k, no linux however (very few AMR modems where made as true hardware modems so linux doesn't recognize them).
My PCCHIPS 830LR board with a 1700XP cpu has been running flawlessly under Win2k since I got it about 2-3 months ago. Crunching 24/7 for G@H. Thats all it does so I can't tell you if it has any other issues (games, vid, etc). The AMR modem works great as does the built in LAN and sound (well sound can be a little cracky)

Oh and on a side note. I have 3 15G IBM Deskstar 75GXP series (ata100 7200 rpm) drives that have been use hard for almost 2 years now. 2 running in a Raid 0 in my VP6. No issues, never lost one. The key is the cooling of them. IBM datasheets recommends keeping the drives near room temps (75-90F) at all times. This sounds easy until you consider your case is rocking hot whem its crunching. In my YY cube case I have 2 low volume 80mm filtered fans blowing air across my hdds. Could just be luck on my part or the fact I have always kept them air cooled.

Smiling Carnivore
04-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Hmmm, didn't think the heat would have been an issue, the case had some monster cooling, but nothing directly across the HDD. That could have been it. My main box is moving to a nice big server case where my goal will be to see how many cfm I can get. :D

I have to say that I am digging that 841LR. As far as I can tell it doesn't list the chipset on the LAN though. Maybe I am just blind, I am feeling a little under the weather today. Do you happen to know what chipset for the LAN is? That looks like exactly what the doctor ordered I have to say. Everything onboard so I can rack mount it later if I choose to. Hopefully won't need HDD for very long as I am working on setting up one of my boxen to act as an NFS server to support floppy boot to network. Unfortunately, I had to cannibalize the box that was going to become the client while my Epox MB is being replaced. At any rate thanks for the linkage. :cheers:

ulv
04-18-2002, 04:22 PM
Hey guys, since you're into hardware talk, I thought I could be a little OT:
MTP: Is your site- VP6-board down? I have one that suddenly started to freeze two days ago, and would like to scan through your forums. Been crunching G@H for nearly 1 1/2 year 24/7, P3-700@933, raid0- IBM 45Gb x 2, and it does this to me, clocked it down, all is good, overclocked it again- freeze, took it apart and cleaned it, no change. Well, I'll keep working on this.

MTP
04-18-2002, 08:13 PM
10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN on board, supports IEEE 802.3 and 802.3u standards, and fully compliant ANSI X3.263 TP-PMD physical sub-layer
I couldn't find it either, but since the chipset of the board is the same as my 830LR board I'll guess that it also uses the SiS900 chipset for the LAN (at least thats the drivers you use for it)
Sorry thats the best I can do for you.
I just spent almost $300 on "upgrading" the families camping gear getting ready for several summer camping trips so it looks like my next "farm" machine is on hold for another month :(

ULV-
Yeah, I don't pay the host my co-hort in crime does (York1) he actually took over the site when the first owner (Spanky) move out of country. I just co-admin it, did several of the original site designs and help with the other stuff (news reviews)
From what I understand the host had some major fiber optic damage done and the aren't supporting anybodies sites right now. I'm not sure if York1 is going to move the site or wait until they come back up. Its been over a week now. Starting to really get on my nerves!