PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info on the EPA's IEUBK model

dragongoddess
06-13-2004, 07:10 PM
We have a bit of a crises here in town due to 100 years of smelter emissions which dumped lead into several neighborhoods. THe EPA is saying that 640ppm is an acceptable level for lead in soil. I find this hard to believe but they say their model says its safe.

prokaryote
06-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi dragongoddess,

Dr. Paul Mielke Jr. at Colorado State University was involved with some of the orginal statistical studies that helped to get lead removed from gasoline, paint etc. You may be able to do a google search looking for these reports. Also the stats department at CSU may be able to help in your search. I believe that he is retired now, but may be reachable.

CSU stats dept: http://www.stat.colostate.edu/

prok

P.S. 640 ppm! are you sure it's not ppb? that's about 1.5lbs of lead per ton of soil! Any more and you could probably profitably mine it!

dragongoddess
06-14-2004, 09:28 AM
The city is trying to protect the smelter operation here. By raising the levels this high they will save Ascaro a ton of money as those yards with less then 640ppm will be left alone. BTW the state mandated level is 500ppm but its being waved.
You want to know whats silly about this whole thing any lead deposits that didn't fall into the ground but ended up in your attic are not eligable for cleanup funding.

Thanks I will try and contact him.