PDA

View Full Version : home farm ideas

FoBoT
04-18-2002, 11:32 AM
compgeeks has a mobo with onboard everything for $35
it supports up to 1 Ghz p3
pricewatch shows p3-733Mhz cpu's going for ~$85
and i've seen used ones going for ~$65

does this sound like a good idea or would it be better to go for a duron combo, i see on pricewatch some duron 1Ghz with a mobo for ~$120

so for ~$100 i get p3-733
or
for ~$120 i get duron 1Ghz

hmmm...

Darkness Productions
04-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Depends on your poison. If S@H is your game, then it might be just about even, maybe the p3 would win out, because of the 133FSB and the larger cache. For just about everything else tho, the Duron would prolly win out.

Something else to think about is that the Duron will most likely be cheaper on the Electricity bill...........

Originally posted by FoBoT
compgeeks has a mobo with onboard everything for $35
it supports up to 1 Ghz p3
pricewatch shows p3-733Mhz cpu's going for ~$85
and i've seen used ones going for ~$65

does this sound like a good idea or would it be better to go for a duron combo, i see on pricewatch some duron 1Ghz with a mobo for ~$120

so for ~$100 i get p3-733
or
for ~$120 i get duron 1Ghz

hmmm...

Chinasaur
04-18-2002, 03:22 PM
$120 for a Duron rig sounds awfully high unless you are already adding RAM. Duron's are only $36 on PW. I'm sure you can find a cheap Biostar (I have one and it runs surprisingly fast) for $50-60.

DP is right. The P3's cache makes the difference on SETI and would outperform the Duron under Windows.

FoBoT
04-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
would outperform the Duron under Windows.

:shocked:
what kinda farmer would run winders?
:scared:

if/when i do this, its linux only bay-bee :smoking:

the only reason i am looking at new boards , is because i would sorta like to get 7 identical setups/mobo/cpu combos

Chinasaur
04-18-2002, 05:13 PM
My abject apologies Sir FoBoT :) I did not mean to give offense! :)

It's just I had this dual P3733-VP6, and the best times on S@H were under Windows due to Mobo drivers.

If not S@H, then Duron.
If not now, when?

:)

====
"Ask not what your Farm can do you for you.
Rather, ask what you can do for your Farm!"
===
"Ich bin ein Cruncher!"

FoBoT
04-18-2002, 05:26 PM
actually that is a good point, i have only heard of one project where the linux client beats the windows version, thats in DF

i was just kidding :p

ColinT
04-18-2002, 07:12 PM
China: Instead of 7 slowboats, why not build 3 fast ones?

I gave up on Slow a long time ago.

Chinasaur
04-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Colin, I agree. But FoBoT is the one looking at durons..not me..and it seems he wants a low cost solution...so Durons would work there.

I just read that AMD is phasing Durons out at the end of this year anyway.

I can't believe the prices of XP's on Pricewatch. Gotta get me some soon and replace my 1Ghz Durons.

Paratima
04-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ColinT
I gave up on Slow a long time ago.
Why not take a trip back there? :D
Colin's got a point, though. Less expensive electricity, less noise, heat, etc., etc. Easier to manage, too.

MTP
04-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Well if you catch my reply in this thread (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=663) I gave a link to the PCChips 841LR mb. It has built in video, sound, LAN, for $10 extra you get a AMR 56k modem and can use either DDR or SDRAM ram. It goes for about $63 on PW.

FoBoT
04-18-2002, 09:04 PM
i had a bad experience with pcchips
i had a celeron 766 in a pcchips mobo when DF started, it took about twice as long as a duron 750 to do 1000 structures!! :scared:
and it took 50% longer than a celeron 633 on another mobo

that chipset on that mobo was messed up, in my opinion

i do see Colin's point, especially when you compare a p3-733 price point to an athlon 1.4 or some of the cheaper XP's

hmmmm

well, it all depends on the summer bonus anywho, if its too little $ , this is all a pipe dream :/

i guess it also comes back to the idea of having 7 identical setups or not

buying 7 mobo/cpu combos with XP2000+ is hugely more expensive than 7 duron ~1ghz combos

MTP
04-18-2002, 09:44 PM
Well the older PIII versions used the Ali "Baba" chipset which never was a performance chipset in my opinion.
Plus you are comparing a celeron to a duron isn't that obvious that the duron would beat out the celeron? Same speed cpus from AMD have almost always beat out Intel cpus.

Their AMD stuff uses the SiS chipset which too be honest I have had zero problems with so far. I can run some sandra test for you on the 830Lr with 1700XP xpu if you would like.
Only has 1 stick of 128M Cas2 ram in it though.

FoBoT
04-18-2002, 10:33 PM
good point, a totally different chipset, even by the same company is apples / oranges :o