06-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Members Joining Today
willy1 joins as a newuser

Welcome aboard.
:)

willy1
06-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks -

I'm still a little confused about how this and D2OL are the same or different projects...

However! I was able to install TSC on one box, without the JVM, since I had already been running D2OL on that box. But I'm having problems doing the same thing on the other D2OL boxes. The TSC installer complains about not finding a compatible JVM - but D2OL runs fine.

Any ideas?

rshepard
06-21-2004, 06:39 PM
If I remember correctly, there is a line in the D2OL.lax file that allows you to specify the path to your JAVA installation. I never used it; I always preferred to do the client-with-java installation, as it puts the JRE where the client can find it. You might try that if you can't get it to find the path.

MerePeer
06-21-2004, 06:53 PM
RE: difference
My best guess is that unlike FAD, where you the cruncher can select the sub-projects, when we run D2OL we are assigned projects for SARS, for MALARIA, for HIV, etc. When we run TSC we only crunch TSC solutions, not SARS etc.

RE: jvm
Yes, both D2OL and TSC use the same "engine" which is dependent on java. I don't know enough about the TSC installer to say why it is finding the jvm on some of your boxes and not on others -- it is possibly looking only in your PATH environmental variable. When you installed D2OL on those boxen perhaps you installed the full D2OL-with-java-embedded version? And so maybe TSC doesnt want to go poking around your entire system looking for a JVM. Just guessing here. On my systems I had already installed the sun jre so both D2OL and TSC installs found it.

Both projects have a D2OL.lax file that has many config type things in it. The line you would want to play with is

# LAX.NL.CURRENT.VM
# -----------------
# the VM to use for the next launch

lax.nl.current.vm=C:\\Program Files\\Java\\j2re1.4.2_03\\bin\\java.exe

Notice the double back slashes too, c-syntax.
If you look in your directory tree, then the jre for D2OL *might* have been somewhere like c:\program files\SengentD2OL\D2OL\jre ? Someone else might reply who did install the jre with D2OL.

** bonus info **
If you are installing windows boxes, and they are setup to login, logout (without reboot) or fast-user-switch, then I found my D2OL and TSC would stop working after someone logged out. Turns out this is a java issue, but it can be solved by adding the -Xrs to the java command line. I determined that by adding this line to my D2OL.lax file, that it solved the login/out issue:

lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Xrs