PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Not Geting An Ip

Elspuddy
06-26-2004, 09:07 PM
o.k i'v been haveing a go at this for 2-3 hours now and it's driveing me nuts
i deside to plug my wireless network card back into me laptop so i can watch a movie over my network on the widescreen tv downstaires.when i get downstaire and plug in my wireless card in i got no signel from my ap (bar soime one else unscured ap) after about 1 hour of switching chnnels on the ap and seting the dhcp to alow more ips i just said duck it and throiwed a nic wire out the window watched my movie, then went back up staire to figure out why i was geting no signel from my ap (netgear wg602),
now the ap get's an ip from my 604 but dose not let my laptop get an ip and say it can not find the dhcp server, i'v cheacked all the connections pushed all the plugs back in and rebooted the ap and the 604 also put the signle back on channell 11, i have been haveing some trubble geting windows to accpect the passfrace for my WAP, but i can;t see whats stoping my lappy for geting a ip
any idears
??

Chinasaur
06-26-2004, 10:28 PM
FWIW..

1. Are you using XP? http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,63705,00.html

2. I don't use DHCP. I set my IP's on each device independantly.
3. Ensure your AP is not set to exclude MAC addy's and make sure your DHCP server is active if you are going to use it..no insult to your intelligence intended.
4. I have found with XP that using the Wireless cards/USB device's software is preferable to letting Windows manage your device. You can turn "let Windows manage device" off under Properties.
5. No offense..but you've selected the same encryption level for the AP as the client?

I turn off DHCP, use 128bit WEP and only allow discrete MAC addy's. That way I know I have as many gates up as possible...not that it matters to somebody who really wants in...but it will probably keep out the lazy lamers.

Hope you get it sorted.

:cheers:

Elspuddy
06-27-2004, 08:53 AM
thanks for the help
Chinasaur, but none of that lot worked :(
tbh i'm thinking it's format time :swear: :bang: :trash: , because i :dunno: what to do next

Elspuddy
06-27-2004, 04:52 PM
update
i think my ap is fuged, hoiw did i figure this out, easy, i put my old dlink dwl-650+ cand in, i got a connection to the ap, but no ip, i'v tryed giveing the wifi card an ip but nothing get resovled

magnav0x
06-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Is the AP configured to be a router or gateway?

Elspuddy
06-27-2004, 07:02 PM
nope, but i fixed it
should oif hit that reset buttion at the back of the ap sonner

IronBits
06-27-2004, 11:55 PM
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/XE102.php?view=hm

Works pretty well to :thumbs:

Glad you got it running :)

Elspuddy
06-28-2004, 05:28 PM
well i thoght i had it working, i'v re set the ap, i got an ip nows it's gone back to not giveing me an ip again
:swear: :bang:

IronBits : nice thorhgt on the wall plug networking, but i dont think it will work in the uk :P