PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Mail

Moogie
07-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Sigh, we are having a bit of a problem.

It all (Mozilla Mail) disappeared again. No warning, no nothing. Had it all working, shut down Mozilla Mail and Browser. Then started Mozilla Mail, and no address book, no email messages, no nuthin'.

My Outlook stuff is still in /.mozilla/default/nnnnnn.slt/Mail/Local
Folders/Outlook Mail.sbd, but I can't see it in Mozilla Mail.

Any ideas?

Chinasaur
07-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Try Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/)

:cheers:

Moogie
07-25-2004, 04:25 PM
As I understand it, Thunderbird is a stand alone email client from Mozilla. We'll give it a try.

What makes you suggest Thunderbird?

TIA

Chinasaur
07-25-2004, 04:40 PM
It works, it's a stand-alone product, it's free, uses extensions like Mozilla and Firefox and it's not a M$ product.

I usually recommend FoxMail as it's fast, clean and also free. A good piece of work.

Paratima
07-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Moogs: You can guinea-pig it for me (maybe for several of us). Let us know how it goes. :D

Moogie
07-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
Moogs: You can guinea-pig it for me (maybe for several of us). Let us know how it goes. :D

Will do..though I don't think I'll pass the words "guinea-pig" on to OWW. Prolly wouldn't go over very well.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Bok
07-25-2004, 05:13 PM
I installed it for my wife a while back to stop her using Outlook Express and she loves it. Personally I just use PINE on linux though. Clean & simple, not a hope of a virus :)

Bok

Moogie
07-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks Bok...we'll look into that as well.

Moogie
07-25-2004, 05:35 PM
PINE isn't an X-window application, it doesn't suit our needs as it doesn't play nice with, for instance, word processors and that sort of thing.

Bok
07-25-2004, 06:06 PM
yup,

character only. Sorry, I didn't mean to put that forward for you to try. It wouldn't suit most people.

Bok

Chinasaur
07-25-2004, 10:56 PM
PINE rules for Shell accounts :thumbs:

:cheers:

QIbHom
07-26-2004, 10:59 AM
This is a common Moz/Thunderbird problem.

From the Mozilla FAQ;

exit Mozilla (including Quick Launch), find the folders in your user profile that contain your e-mail (the Mail and, if you use IMAP, ImapMail folders). Back up your mail folders, and delete the .msf files. Do not delete files that appear without any extension – these are the files that contain your actual e-mail. Restarting Mozilla Mail should automatically generate new summary files.

To find where your user profile is, follow the directions from the Moz FAQ at; http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/profile.html

This happens periodically. Deleting the .msf files takes care of it. Done it at least 10 or 15 times on machines I support.

Moogie
07-29-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks...been away for a couple of days but will try that and let you know what happens.