PDA

View Full Version : General questions

Norman108
07-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Sorry if any of this is a repeat.

I have a java.exe program running (seen in Task Manager) but I cannot tell if this is the Distributed Hardware Evolution project or not. Is this the exe that runs the DHE program?

I don't seem to have access to any visual indication of the program running. Where can I peek in on what the DHE program is doing?

Does it make any difference if I didn't choose an island for my work?

Is assignment automatic? Does island assignment change over time?

Does it make any difference that I didn't choose a team for my work?

Know these are very basic questions and I appreciate your patience here.

All the best,

Norman:crazy:

adream
07-27-2004, 06:07 AM
well if you have a "java.exe" in your task manager then thats the client running.

we need more details to help you though:

operating system etc

and also which method of instalation you used, if its a windows machine are you using it as a service or as a stand alone client ?

if you are new to the project and are interested in whats going on, i suggest running the full windows client, as it gives you a bit of feedback etc

regards

adream

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

Norman108
07-28-2004, 02:43 AM
I'm running Windows XP Home edition. With 512 Ram and a 2.80 GHz Pentium(R) 4CPU. One of those automatic duo processing chips.

I used the Automatic Installation as Service intallation option. Is this the full windows client, or must I do something else to run the full windows client?

Also, my main question is is this the best way to run the client? It's impossible for me to tell if it is even getting more work units and such, though it does appear to be running, as per the java.exe.

:cheers: and all the best, Norman

adream
07-28-2004, 06:20 AM
go to the download page: http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/mmg20/dhe/download.php

and follow the direction for GUI install:

"Manual Installation with GUI (not Service)

1. Download Java executable Jar file and Java policy file into some directory. Make sure the latter is saved as java.policy and not java.policy.txt.
2. Download this batch file and change INSTALL_DIR to where you downloaded these files and YOUR_NAME and YOUR@EMAIL to your own.
3. You now launch your island by running this batch file. Don't forget to put it file in the Start->Programs->Startup folder so it runs every time."

aftre you have done this i would de-install the service that you have already installed earlier... im not a windows user but i imagine this is done via "Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services"

once you have the gui client installed it will give you a little more of an idea as to whats going on....theres a client window that gives feedback and theres also a java "creation" that shows neibouring islands and the circuit currently being worked on.

i wouldnt bother to use it as a service on a laptop, its much better to be able to run it when you like, especially with battery drainage issues....

also you mention that its a "One of those automatic duo processing chips" by which i imagine you are refering to hyperthreading ?

if this is the case, make sure hyperthreading is enabled via the bios

if it is then you can run two clients at the same time, for an overall boost in productivity of about 30%

regards

adream

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

kippy
07-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Sorry if this is documented somewhere already. I did look but I couldn't find any answers.

Is there any way to change the priority of the DHEP process? Whenever I start it, it just takes up 99% of the CPU and totally knocks out my other distributed processes. UD and F@H both run side by side at 49% and 49%. Is there any way to get DHEP running so that the 3 processes each take 33%?

Regarding caching: I ran the .bat script, got a work unit from the server and it started chugging away. when I killed the java.exe processes and restarted it, it went to the server again for a brand new work unit and apparently forgot about the hours of processing already done. Is there some way to gracefully close the program so that it picks up where it left off? Also, is there a way to download multiple work units at once for dialup users?

Thanks

Norman108
07-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Just for reference Kippy, on my hyperthreading CPU, when I'm running DHE and F@H simultanously, both take about 50%. This is very satisfying as all my possible cycles are being used.

When I run the latest Boink project from Predictor @ home with just F@H, sometimes the two Boink work units take 33%each. Sometimes one takes 50% and leaves the rest to its other unit and F@H.

When I run all three together, the jave.exe takes between 0% and 50% of my cycles. Some of this seems to vary based on when I allow the java.exe to start. If I shut down all other programs and let the java.exe take off, it seems to attempt to keep its use of cycles to 40-50%. If I let the jave.exe start after other DC projects are running, especially Predictor, the java.exe may not run at all or run just a few percent of cycles.

Not really an answer to your question, and you may not even have a hyperthreading CPU, but thought my experience might serve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have a question for the forum though that has gone unanswered. Until such time (if ever) are I reinstall DHE manually, does it really make any difference as to what islands it is working on?

In other words, is it significantly better for the project if I do the process manually, or does it run just fine without this?

Also, is the any other way to see the results of my computers calculations other than the manual install? Outside of this reinstall, it would be nice to get some feedback on the work that's being done.

All the best, Norman

:smoking: :thumbs: :help: