PDA

View Full Version : Priority project

em99010pepe
08-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Can I ask something.
What's Free-DC priority project?

Right now I'm using DNET and Lifemapper.

DNET - AMD 1100Mhz
Lifemapper - AMD 2200+

Thanks,

Carlos

Bok
08-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Probably DF whilst we hold off the DPC :)

But to each their own really!!

Bok

PY 222
08-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Over here, we crunch what we love to crunch.

I personally go for Projects with stats and big numbers since I am a total Stats Whore.

So, do what you feel like it, be it math, medicine or even Aliens.

em99010pepe
08-13-2004, 04:29 AM
My computers:

AMD2200+ 512 MB WIN XP
AMD 1,1Ghz 256 MB Win ME internet access

DF crashes under XP not under Win ME. Don't ask me why.

D2OL running in GUI mode under XP crashes not under Win Me.

Every single project works fine under Win Me but under XP is another story.

So I will crunch for DNET.

Carlos

PS (I'm reading some pdf's about Linux Mandrake)

BECL
08-13-2004, 06:18 AM
I am also interested in what our priority project(s) is(are).

I have been running D2OL and BOINC (first Seti/dev-alpha-beta, now Predictor/Alpha). I am currently on assignment and when I return home, the servers are going to get a) upgraded and b) reconfigured as required.

I've seen a few comments about AMD'64 and other 64 bit optimziations... I have a few suggestions if they are worth mentioning.

Please free free to ask about Predictor as I have worked on both the server-side code, individual client code and can have current versions if needed, but what I have is only one rev behind and certainly good for optimization development/testing work.... These optimizations, as we have discovered, still allow the process to live in the 32 bit world of Microsoft. There is the obvious whole new set that GCC/G++ and (yes) G77 gives when moving to the 64 bit OS world....

If it helps (but I assume this is already well known).... All the new BOINC based apps run best when developed in the Cygwin environment for use on M$ Operating systems. GCC 3.3.1.3 (i believe current) does a great job at cross compiling so far.

Chuck

BECL
08-13-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by em99010pepe
My computers:

AMD2200+ 512 MB WIN XP
AMD 1,1Ghz 256 MB Win ME internet access

DF crashes under XP not under Win ME. Don't ask me why.

D2OL running in GUI mode under XP crashes not under Win Me.

Every single project works fine under Win Me but under XP is another story.

So I will crunch for DNET.

Carlos

PS (I'm reading some pdf's about Linux Mandrake)

Carlos,

May I ask which Java you are using? There is one (cannot name it from memory, but believe 03 from sun that was problem with D2OL).... If you use SUN for your IE, you then have the option of using either D2OL with or without. This is my experience on XP Pro SP1... (all AMDs and 1 intel machine). I have '04' and '05' coexisting across platforms without problems.

My next move, linux wise, is Suse 9.1 with native 64 bit mode (since XP SP2 is a flop here).... Suse works well from what I have heard, and will be used on Predictor and the non-Sun based Seti machines because of it's compatibiity with Sun.

Anyone with other info... please correct me... I'ld hate to waste the money and time, or advise anyone wrongly.

Thanks,
Chuck

em99010pepe
08-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Chuck,

I'm using IBM java in both computers.

Carlos

FoBoT
08-13-2004, 07:21 AM
since we don't have a 'leader' , the team doesn't tell members which project to run (hence, the 'free' in free-dc ;) )

some members get together and do 'gauntlets' , where they all agree to run X project for X days/weeks, some choose not to do that

some members look at the team standings, like in DF we are #1 and if that #1 positition is theatened, some people choose put more resources onto that to maintain our #1 team standing

other are a little more individualistic, myself i have run DF in an effort to get to the #1 individual in that project. i didn't think it would ever happen, others clearly have more Ghz available to them, but by sticking with it when others put resources to other projects, i attained #1 in DF . that is soon to be lost as those others with more Ghz have poured it on to defend our team standing from DPC.

i also made a goal of being in the top ten individually in a subset of projects, so i diverted resources for that mission.

you can select any criteria you wish to determine which projects to run.

another way to view it is by CPU type. some projects run much faster (stats-wise) on pentium 4 cpu's than AMD, so some people with P4's like to keep them on those projects optimized for P4's

do whatever you want and have fun! :blues:

em99010pepe
08-13-2004, 07:30 AM
So your team theme is HAVE FUN.

I like that.

Bok
08-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by BECL
Carlos,

May I ask which Java you are using? There is one (cannot name it from memory, but believe 03 from sun that was problem with D2OL).... If you use SUN for your IE, you then have the option of using either D2OL with or without. This is my experience on XP Pro SP1... (all AMDs and 1 intel machine). I have '04' and '05' coexisting across platforms without problems.

My next move, linux wise, is Suse 9.1 with native 64 bit mode (since XP SP2 is a flop here).... Suse works well from what I have heard, and will be used on Predictor and the non-Sun based Seti machines because of it's compatibiity with Sun.

Anyone with other info... please correct me... I'ld hate to waste the money and time, or advise anyone wrongly.

Thanks,
Chuck

Easiest way is to use the cli for D2OL and bypass the use of java altogether.

Chuck,

I'm running Suse 64-bit on an opteron. It's pretty nice and easy to install, but I personally prefer Gentoo for AMD64 which I'm running on an Athlon64 without a hitch.

Bok

Moogie
08-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by em99010pepe
So your team theme is HAVE FUN.

I like that.

That about sums it up. :)

Dyyryath
08-13-2004, 12:58 PM
:|ot|:

I like your site, Miss Moogie. :)

BECL
08-14-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Bok
Easiest way is to use the cli for D2OL and bypass the use of java altogether.

Chuck,

I'm running Suse 64-bit on an opteron. It's pretty nice and easy to install, but I personally prefer Gentoo for AMD64 which I'm running on an Athlon64 without a hitch.

Bok

I've not heard of Gentoo. Would you enlighten me?

I am running socket 754, 939 and 940's here now.. (the 939 is just starting up)

May I ask how to put the D2OL in as a service (which I assume is the best thing for the cli??? true?) Then the obvious thing is how to control it once it's in there?

(Yes, I am new to DC'ing... please forgive my ignorance).

Thanks,
Chuck

Bok
08-14-2004, 08:01 AM
I'll leave the service thing for others as I don't play with windows much. I think PCZ runs it like this not as cli as such but as file controlled.

Gentoo (www.gentoo.org) is a source based linux distribution. On installation you can choose (if you wish) to compile EVERYTHING. including gcc itself. This allows you to optimize precisely for your own hardware. Of course youd don't need to and the default optimizations are pretty darn good. It can also run as a live CD much like Knoppix, so it's pretty easy to test it out on any PC without it touching the hard drive.

I'll leave details of the 'emerge' command till later, but for a snippet, if you want to install KDE for instance the command is

emerge kde

it goes off and checks all dependencies, brings down and installs/updates packages (by compiling them....)

Bok :D

BECL
08-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Bok
I'll leave the service thing for others as I don't play with windows much. I think PCZ runs it like this not as cli as such but as file controlled.

Gentoo (www.gentoo.org) is a source based linux distribution. On installation you can choose (if you wish) to compile EVERYTHING. including gcc itself. This allows you to optimize precisely for your own hardware. Of course youd don't need to and the default optimizations are pretty darn good. It can also run as a live CD much like Knoppix, so it's pretty easy to test it out on any PC without it touching the hard drive.

I'll leave details of the 'emerge' command till later, but for a snippet, if you want to install KDE for instance the command is

emerge kde

it goes off and checks all dependencies, brings down and installs/updates packages (by compiling them....)

Bok :D

COOL! I like that idea!!!! I have a nice beefy partial-T3 here (6 T1s')... so I thank you for the URL. I have a nice 250 Gig drive just WAITING for something to do :)

I assume I can do a dual boot and all that just like before with Redhat and read/write the NTFS filesystems? (or is the NTFS r/w that legal stuff in court right now?)

(off topic -- but a good reason to switch back to Linux... which I left at 2.6 kernel)
I did some research on my XP PRO / SP2 problems..... I verified that I do have the correct corporate license key and that we aren't over our licensed limit.... and I did get to see the original paperwork and CD..... so I know it's all authentic......

It appears that SP2 just wont run on either of my configs and I am 100% gratefull for Ghost!

PS: I do like KDE... it and my SGI desktop are laid out the same... I just push them around the layout I like and presto! So be prepared,,, I'll be asking.... (FYI: I have KDE on my Cygwin too... use it for BOINC development... LOL)

Thanks for the info....
and I shall be asking about more.....

Chuck

Bok
08-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by BECL
COOL! I like that idea!!!! I have a nice beefy partial-T3 here (6 T1s')... so I thank you for the URL. I have a nice 250 Gig drive just WAITING for something to do :)

I assume I can do a dual boot and all that just like before with Redhat and read/write the NTFS filesystems? (or is the NTFS r/w that legal stuff in court right now?)

(off topic -- but a good reason to switch back to Linux... which I left at 2.6 kernel)
I did some research on my XP PRO / SP2 problems..... I verified that I do have the correct corporate license key and that we aren't over our licensed limit.... and I did get to see the original paperwork and CD..... so I know it's all authentic......

It appears that SP2 just wont run on either of my configs and I am 100% gratefull for Ghost!

PS: I do like KDE... it and my SGI desktop are laid out the same... I just push them around the layout I like and presto! So be prepared,,, I'll be asking.... (FYI: I have KDE on my Cygwin too... use it for BOINC development... LOL)

Thanks for the info....
and I shall be asking about more.....

Chuck

NTFS r/w is part of the kernel, so you just need to enable it when configuring. Choose the gentoo-dev-sources to get the bleeding edge kernel.

KDE has come a long way :) Of course on most of my crunchers I don't install X at all ;)

Bok

BECL
08-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Bok
NTFS r/w is part of the kernel, so you just need to enable it when configuring. Choose the gentoo-dev-sources to get the bleeding edge kernel.

KDE has come a long way :) Of course on most of my crunchers I don't install X at all ;)

Bok

Thanks... I have it downloading now.... .coming in at a nice, smooth 850kbytes/sec :)

I am grabbing the 2004.2 amd64.... that is the correct one for clawhammers, sledgehammers, and san diegos right ???

Moogie
08-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Dyyryath

I like your site, Miss Moogie. :)

Uh...thank you. :)