PDA

View Full Version : 908 incorrect protein AGAIN!!

meglamaniac
08-13-2004, 06:59 AM
It seems there is a major problem with foldit and my proxy here, because once again it has failed to pick up the update (and doesn't pick it up when I stop and restart it), so my logs are once again full of status 908 errors.

I can't think whats wrong.
It's not a transparent proxy.
I've set the correct address and port.
There is no gateway here, it's proxy only, so the proxy has to be working because I'm posting this.
The update check doesn't say it failed, it just doesn't pick one up.
There is no cache on this network.

Is anyone else having these sorts of difficulties? To put it mildly its a pain in the arse having to download the client again every time the protein changes...

DPRGI-Federico83
08-13-2004, 07:31 AM
2 pc with this problem here...

delete the folder and do a fresh installation, downloading a new package from the df site... :cry: :cry:

meglamaniac
08-13-2004, 07:42 AM
I have a PC at home that's not proxied which has no issues, so I'd be pointing fingers at the proxy transfer code.
I tried disabling the proxy here (very breifly, before 150 angry people in suits came to see what was wrong with thier precious internet!) and sure enough my log the got the "errno=10065,Host unreachable" type stuff indicating it wasn't getting a connection.

So here's the general rundown:
My client gets a connection to the server through the proxy.
My client then fails to notice that there is an update, so carries on with the last protein.
My logs then fill with 908 incorrect protein messages.

There are three things that I can think of that would cause this:
Network caching.
Dodgy proxy code in the client.
Dodgy proxy handling on the server.

As we don't run a cache here, and are on a leased line with multiple public IP addresses (so no caching there either) I think we can elminate caching in the office or at our ISP.

So really, it'd help if someone related to the project could read this and at least answer because if this happens again I'm stopping using it at work - I can't be doing with reinstalling every 3 or 4 days, it's ridiculous.

RandomCritterz
08-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Does your proxy forward the Host: header?

Thread (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6221&highlight=http+host).

meglamaniac
08-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Well if it doesn't (can't check right now) there's nothing I can do about it as I'm not the one who administrates it.
So either way looks like i'm screwed - i'll just have to give up on using DF at work.

Stardragon
08-13-2004, 10:05 AM
First you have to make sure your proxy isn't caching. Then there is the matter of authentication required by the proxy - although if you are certain you can get through to the servers, this is probably not a problem. Nevertheless, if you could tell me which protocol it uses, I could verify it's supported.

Finally, the safest way to verify what goes on is to port sniff when the client checks for updates and to ensure that it indeed reads the correct version of server.status.

meglamaniac
08-13-2004, 10:58 AM
It's a standard HTTP proxy (supports HTTP 1.1), running on port 80.
It does not cache.
Authentication is not used.

RandomCritterz
08-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Use the update daemon from home to fetch the update package, take it to work, apply.

Don't give up!