PDA

View Full Version : new DVD player

Bok
08-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Thought I'd share this.

I just bought a new DVD player - a Philip's DVP642. Hooked it up tonight with component output to my HDTV and the progressive scan is awesome. Optical digital link to a receiver for sound. It plays back virtually all formats known. Tried a DVD-R and DVD+R and they were fine. My other two DVD players won't accept them.. It plays divx too, though I don't have too much use for that, as well as MP3's.

Also, a small sequence of inputs and the player is now region free, so I can watch my PAL copies of Auf Wiedersehen Pet and Sharpe without having to put them through a PC :p It auto converts a PAL signal to NTSC :)

Pretty sweet and only $70 at Target. Best Buy also sell them for the same price..

Bok

magnav0x
08-17-2004, 01:38 AM
only $70 at Target

Are you serious? And to think I've been spending all this time converting PAL DVD's into NTSC format and reburning them all this time. Oh well at least it'll work on all DVD players. Sounds like a very good buy, I'd get one but then I'd get lazy and never do my video editing to proper formats. I may have to breakdown and get one though :D Then again, you can fit a about 6x as much DIVX video on a DVD than you can with normal DVD format. Too many choices now days!