Chinasaur
08-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Far Out :cool:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3576594.stm

:shocked:

:cheers:

Nexus
08-18-2004, 07:01 PM
That's some bizarre, freaky stuff. I still have my doubts as to whether quantum computing is viable, or even possible, but if it is experiments like this under real world conditions are the next step ahead.

GHOST
08-18-2004, 08:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3777589.stm

And will we ever transport a human?

To teleport a human would require knowledge of the type and exact position and movement of every atom of the person to be teleported. That is about a hundred thousand million million million million atoms. To send that information down today's fast data transfer systems would take a hundred million times longer than the present age of the Universe (which is about 15 thousand million years).

If it is ever possible, there is the question of whether destroying a human to teleport their information to another place to rebuild them again would constitute murder, and you might also want to discuss if the teleported human would actually be the original person or a copy.

murder me, copy me, i don't care.

Nexus
08-18-2004, 11:39 PM
If the process for teleporting a human requires the machine to store and transmit info on every atom in that person's body, then it will never be done. It might be possible though if the process does it all in one go, sort of by default. I definitely have my doubts though. I don't think we'll ever see Star-Trek type teleporters that can beam humans around via this quantum entanglement business.

BECL
08-19-2004, 01:55 AM
I work with a guy who does nothing but quantum physics all day long... He's taught me a lot about quantum theories and how to apply them to my 'pet' data compression project.....

When we talked about this article (which he already knew about), he showed me the essentials of it on his whiteboard...... It is freaky, but it's real.. and (in his opinion) definately going to happen soon.

Death
08-19-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Nexus
If the process for teleporting a human requires the machine to store and transmit info on every atom in that person's body, then it will never be done. It might be possible though if the process does it all in one go, sort of by default. I definitely have my doubts though. I don't think we'll ever see Star-Trek type teleporters that can beam humans around via this quantum entanglement business.

...and humans will never fly, because airplanes are hardly than air....

prokaryote
08-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by GHOST
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3777589.stm

And will we ever transport a human?

To teleport a human would require knowledge of the type and exact position and movement of every atom of the person to be teleported. That is about a hundred thousand million million million million atoms. To send that information down today's fast data transfer systems would take a hundred million times longer than the present age of the Universe (which is about 15 thousand million years).

If it is ever possible, there is the question of whether destroying a human to teleport their information to another place to rebuild them again would constitute murder, and you might also want to discuss if the teleported human would actually be the original person or a copy.

murder me, copy me, i don't care.

Here's a thought... Every time you breath in, or eat something, you're trading some atoms for others. Always trading, always changing. No creature is ever the same from one instant to the next. So then is it the stuff that's important or is it the information that is encoded by patterns and relationships that's important? If so, then transcribing information from one medium to another doesn't destroy the content. And if that information is moved at the speed of light, then from the perspective of the information, no time passes. You're standing on Earth and without a break in your consciousness you're standing somewhere else. :eek: :confused: :p

Nexus
08-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Death
...and humans will never fly, because airplanes are hardly than air....

Slightly different things, you'll agree. I'm not saying teleportation of humans is impossible, just that it's not gonna happen via quantum entanglement. Just too much information to store and transmit.

But to claim teleportation is altogether impossible is like saying humans will never fly because a guy with paper mache wings stuck to his arms won't get off the ground.

Paratima
08-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Exactly which article would that be, ole buddy? :cool:

BECL
08-19-2004, 02:16 PM
sorry about that... i had hit the 'new thread' instead of 'post reply'... this whole piece belongs under the teleportation thread...

Anyway, in that article is reference to an ancillary article reference about quantum computing... that is what I am referring to.

didn't mean to confuse anyone... and if the admins would like to move these 3 posts underneath the thread below this one (600m teleportation). ... that would be more proper.

quantum anything.. including quantum gravity theory is wild stuff. We talk about using quantum state changes (liquid to solid and back), which has become the core of my compression research. If it holds true and I get anything from it... I will put (acording to him) anywhere from 100 to 700 DVDs on a single DVD because I've 'crystalized' the liquid (the video stream) into a set of regular 'crystals'.

But still. can you imagine a computer where electrons don't 'flow' (or very few).... Instead, particles are transported using quantum theory to where they belong? then they have their effect on the particles (executing the instruction) and the results are 'transported' back? It means we can't overclock anymore :( :lol:

Chuck

EDIT: Merged in to correct thread - Bok

Paratima
08-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks. I'm easily confused and prone to wandering. :p

BECL
08-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks Bok..... sometimes we engineers need help tieing our sneakers too.... (hence the invention of velcro!!!!)

LOL

Chuck

Bok
08-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Your welcome...

actually it's my field, or at least it used to be.. I have a degree in Theoretical Physics :) Not that it gained me much...

Bok :D

BECL
08-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Then perhaps you would like to work on this a bit?

I have a lot of it laid out.... the problem is obviously defining the equations
for keeping a liquid 'just 1 molecule' below the crystalization stage.... (as I'm
sure you know). The rest -- reducing the group of now regular 'crystals' is
easy and done... that part is a snap...

I've played with test cases and been able to get well over 1000:1 reduction
because of the regularity of the crystal form. It is simply the quantum math
part needed to define the 'catalyst matrix of numbers' that is beyond my math
skills (yes, I stopped at D.E.)

Hollar if you are.... i would love to have a partner to work on it with, the benefits
sure are worth it if the encoding side can be perfected..... The decoder was a snap.

*edit*... i read an article on quantum gravity... THAT was wild!! *end edit*

Chuck

Nexus
08-20-2004, 06:17 AM
I have a major in pure maths, so if I can be of any help just give me a holler.