PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the next text client

Burgergold
05-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Could it be possible to modify the text application so that it backs up or upload the results more regularly? For example, if I've 4500 units and that the PC reboot, I lose them all. A system of the kind ' each 5 minutes, the results are recorded on the hard disk' could be quite practical. Moreover, it could be possible to make turn the application on several computers where the users will not worry to do Q before leaving this one.

Burgergold
05-05-2002, 02:47 PM
:rolleyes:

In resume, I don't want to have to press "Q" to close the application cause I plan to install it and hide it on some computer.

If it's hided, it can close correctly with "Q"

Brian the Fist
05-06-2002, 09:22 AM
See the section of the readme about runing as a service.

Burgergold
05-07-2002, 01:23 PM
Another idea:

Could it be possible to determinate ourself the frequency of upload? Now it's at each 5000, but what if I want to upload automatically at each 500 or each 1000?

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
05-07-2002, 01:58 PM
This was already answered. Howard controls the frequency of upload on his end. That way he can balance the load on his servers.

Burgergold
05-07-2002, 02:27 PM
so this isn't going to be add?
cauz on small cpu, like 166, If I work 16hrs to do 4000 and the computer crash, I lost everything but if my upload is at eache 1000, I'm ok

Brian the Fist
05-07-2002, 02:34 PM
The client is quite stable and does not crash so it shouldn't be a big problem. Just make sure you exit the program properly by hitting 'Q' or removing the .lock file before shutting off the machine. You certainly do not have to leave it on for 16 hrs at a time.

Burgergold
05-07-2002, 03:07 PM
hum... Yes I do, and more than 16hrs, this is why I ask the question if it could be include in the next version.

It's surely not very hard to include, it's just a integer to change

Burgergold
05-07-2002, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah, another idea:

Create a command line to close the client text. This way, there is surely a way to close the client without the Q when we restart windows without hitting Q.

It could be useful for those who are hiding the client with a little application name hide.exe

Brian the Fist
05-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Please read the documentation competely. You can stop it anytime by removing foldtrajlite.lock. The upload interval is easy to change, but is controlled by us to manage the load on our server.
It will stay 5000 for the time being.

brsullivan
05-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Burgergold
hum... Yes I do, and more than 16hrs, this is why I ask the question if it could be include in the next version.

It's surely not very hard to include, it's just a integer to change
Please explain to us why you need to leave the client running for 16 plus hours at a time? Also if you're system is crashing while leaving it running for 16 hours I suggest an upgrade, ie. stop using Windoze 98!

As Howard said, if you run it as a service you don't have to worry about it crashing. And if you can't run it as a service, again its time to upgrade to 2k or XP or you could go over to Linux for free!

Also to change the upload frequency for you would mean changing it for everyone, and we established way back on one of those first few proteins that too many uploads, too fast, doesn't do good things to Howards servers or his bandwidth.
:thumbs: