PDA

View Full Version : Drying Process

em99010pepe
09-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi to all,

Just trying my luck.

My 5th year Final Project is about Drum Dryers.

I'm reading the book "Introduction to Industrial Drying Operations" from R.B. Keey, it's a reference book in this area, and also reading two chapters of another book about heat and mass transfer: "Humidification" and "Drying".

What I really would like to know is if any of you work in this area, Drying. You could help me.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

Paratima
09-28-2004, 11:51 PM
No problem! Drums have to be kept dry or the heads willl rot where the tension bands hold 'em down. Ours are stored indoors. Before any big ceremony, we set ours beside the campfire for at least ten to twenty minutes (not too close, mind), so's the heads get nice & dry & tight. The dancers like it 'cause it gives the drums a nice crisp sound.

No charge. Call any time. :p

em99010pepe
09-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Paratima
No problem! Drums have to be kept dry or the heads willl rot where the tension bands hold 'em down. Ours are stored indoors. Before any big ceremony, we set ours beside the campfire for at least ten to twenty minutes (not too close, mind), so's the heads get nice & dry & tight. The dancers like it 'cause it gives the drums a nice crisp sound.

No charge. Call any time. :p

Thanks but I'm more interested in design of rotary dryer.
I have to write mass and energy balance equations, determine L/d where L is length and d diameter of the dryer, etc.
Calculate volumetric heat transfer, thermal efficiency and so on. Basically design a new one.

Do you have pictures of those drums dryers?

Carlos

Paratima
09-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Um, er, I was talking about drying drums. Our ceremonial dance team has to dry their drums before every performance. Are we on the same page here? In the same book? :eek:

No pictures handy, but I'll see what I can do.

em99010pepe
09-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Paratima
Um, er, I was talking about drying drums. Our ceremonial dance team has to dry their drums before every performance. Are we on the same page here? In the same book? :eek:

No pictures handy, but I'll see what I can do.

I'm talking about drying process. You can dry food with rotary dryers, drum dryers, shower dryers, and so on.

Where your team dries the drum? How you call the machine, a dryer something?

It's more complicated than your are thinking, you just put your drum into the dryer. I was thinking in the process itself. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Carlos

Thor
09-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Paratima, I think you lost Carlos there ;)

@ Cralos Paratima was just joking !:rotfl:

I think in englidh it is called a "wordplay" :jester: :crazy:

I almost:spray: when I read this thread:thumbs:

Thor

em99010pepe
09-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Guys,

I am not joking with anyone and I hope he wasn't too. I'm a student of Mechanical Engineering option of Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics, and I'm preparing a project about the Drying Process.

This is serious. It's work not DC.

Carlos

Paratima
09-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Ooooooh, man. You were, like, serious about drum driers? :eek:

Here I thought you had a drum that needed drying out for a weekend ceremony. :rolleyes:

Well, except for the text you mentioned, everything I know about drum driers comes from manufacturer's specs and the occasional white paper or the even rarer student paper, like the one you're supposed to write. :p (I do some chemistry stuff just as a hobby.)

Try looking up ChemOxide, Simon Dryers, and maybe Flo-Dry Engineering. Don't really know what you want. If you were a little more specific, I could help more. There's also a couple of symposium papers floating around, but boy, are they ever BORING! Try Googling for symposia on drying. Good luck with it.

Thor: You see, I actually DO know a little about drum driers! But I really can dry a drum! :smoking:

Petey
10-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi Carlos,

Also do a search for Carl Munters. He developed a process for dehumidification which doesn't rely on air drying.

The company site is www.munters.com

Btw, I'm no expert in this area - I just spent 6 months on a work placement with Munters when I was a student many...many...many years ago.

Petey

em99010pepe
10-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Paratima, yes it's serious.

Originally posted by Petey
Hi Carlos,

Also do a search for Carl Munters. He developed a process for dehumidification which doesn't rely on air drying.

The company site is www.munters.com

Btw, I'm no expert in this area - I just spent 6 months on a work placement with Munters when I was a student many...many...many years ago.

Petey

Thank's Petey. I will take a look.

Carlos