PDA

View Full Version : The Key Counter's Thread

CaptainMooseInc
10-13-2004, 04:27 AM
:|ot|:

Hi everyone. If you're running Key Counter....then this is the thread for you. I figured I'd put it in the Off Topic area because I believe it deletes threads every so often so this won't chew up server space.

I figure if you take 5 minutes of your time and type something relevant or what happened in your day, then it will up key counts a little more. Plus, if you click the thread manually each time and scroll down, eventually you will start building your wheel scrolls up too.

If you like the idea, type something. If you don't, then this thread will eventually fall down the ranks and die. I figure we need to let it die every week and start a new one so this one can be auto-deleted from the server as to not fill up the poor thing.

Oh yeah, if you want, you can actually read what everyone types...me...I dunno. I might glance, but I wanna type.

I'll start.

My name is Jeff. I currently am only running 1 box for DC projects. Right now my DC project is Find-A-Drug. My favorite targets are Cancer and Proteome, but maybe more on that in a later reply to this topic. Before this sentence now, my current keystrokes since last submission were 3217. I don't really care about the rest of the stuff.

I might be installing Key Counter on my roommate's computer soon because she is a college girl air-head who spends 23 out of 24 hours a day typing on AIM or AOL.

Before Free-DC, I was a part of a team called TeamSetiUSA (now known as US-Distributed). They IP banned me from their team because I was still learning how to build computers and had a really bad experience with AOpen motherboards (which I will never buy again) over and over and over. 3 boards, all the same model, DIED on me. Anywayz, that's off topic. I spent about 2 months away from DC projects after that, then I found Free-DC. I joined up, scared that the team would hear that I was a newbie at building and that no one would want to help me. Everyone was so nice though. Unfortunately, I had to stop using DC projects due to my step-dad's fear of hacker infultration due to security flaws in the programs. I tried running FaD on my username on a Windows 2000 system, but I never was on the name enough to even finish 1 WU. It's still sitting there...waiting to be crunched. I moved out this past August and built my own new system.

Now I'm back. I want to run D2OL, FaD, SETI, Key Counter, and F@H to make everyone happy and contributed as much as possible.

Once I get $310 I can build my g/f her new system (she's currently running a Pentium grade 350MHz system with 64mb of sdram and a crappy Nvidia Rage card).

I'm hoping to be able to run a Free-DC Hydra Cluster sometime soon if my idea for donations ever gets off the ground.

I'm failing 2 college classes on purpose. :thumbs:

I hate Macintosh :trash:

I have been slapped with a fish before, but it was a trout. :haddock:

I'm in a rock band and my hair looks like this... :scared:

I've just sold 3 items on eBay totalling roughly $70 w/o shipping included, plus I sold my XP 2000+ for $30 to someone on the team (who will remain anonymous less they wish to come forward, but I don't think he really cares anyway). That's $70 more towards my g/f's new computer.

My time is up, I think I went a bit over 5 mins, but hey, I can ramble as much as I want, it's my thread.

Oh yeah, and Fozzie, when I get my hands on more computers, you're MINE!

I have 6134 keystrokes now.

wirthi
10-13-2004, 11:00 AM
I have not read what you typed here (I will, later, I'm in a hurry now) but I know why you did it! Don't dare to overtake me :D

the-mk
10-13-2004, 04:00 PM
It's funny what TKC does to people :D

It lets them writing threads only for increasing their keycount...

And I thought, that I'm insane :jester: (yes, I am :D ) :crazy:

But at the moment you all can't submit any pulse of TKC, because the server is down *evil-laughs* :rotfl: :moon:

Maybe there are things you want to know about me (the others who are not interested may stop reading my post):
- I'm boring (still want to read on?)
- I commute more than 100 kilometers a day
- My car broke the milestone of 50.000 kilometers yesterdays morning (which means that I drove about 20.000 kilometers within 6 months; I got my car since the beginning of March)
- Now you can calculate how many kilometers I've got at the end of this month on my car :D
- I have to stand up at 6 o'clock in the morning everyday *yawn*
- the last two days we had about 2 degrees Celcius in the mornings, bitter cold
- I'll stop writing every now and then because I'm tired and I'll go to bed :sleepy:

For those who want to know: I have 1928 keystrokes at the moment :crazy:

CaptainMooseInc
10-13-2004, 04:45 PM
MK...if it wasn't for my Physics teacher, I wouldn't know that the CM/M/KM ppl use . instead of , in big numbers such as 50,000. It's odd. It threw me off at first but then I remembered.

Where do you commute 100KM a day to? That's quite a while. Hopefully you're getting paid well enough for it.

-Jeff

You can never out-moose the moosetastic.

Coming in January 2097: Scrabble-moose.
Coming in January 2097.1: Scrabble-foz (the generic version of Scrabble-moose)

the-mk
10-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Sorry for confusing you with the . instead of the ,

But we here overseas ( :D ) use it quite different as you may see....

Well, I commute about 50 km a distance and the traffic jams in the morning in front of big cities are annoying :swear: especially after holyday time.

At the moment I've to pay the fuel myself, but soon I'll get a company car, where all the fuel and insurances are paid :) hopefully soon, because fuel (especially Diesel) gets more and more expensive everyday :(

CaptainMooseInc
10-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Just as an FYI...I stole my mom's recipe books and boxes. I'm going to be bringing all of her recipes to digital format so I'll be typing quite a bit here for the next little while.

The recipes are getting old and dirty (and some hard to read) so I'm going to try to save them.

I help my KeyCounter stats and my mom at the same time.

Yay for me! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha! :moon:

Bok
10-15-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't use windows much, but I installed it on my win box at home last night and then had a quick game of DoDonPachi via Mame (http://www.mame.net) using my Hotrod Joystick (http://www.hanaho.com/products/HotRodJoystick/index.html) which just uses a keyboard encoder..

4000 key presses in 15 mins or so :) I'll play some more tonight, maybe some Track&Field too..... :p

Bok :D

the-mk
10-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Bok, I can't see you in the stats. You are unranked because of no submission of keystrokes and mouseclicks...

The TKC client offers three options of how to submit the keystrokes to the server:
- once a day
- once an hour
- manually

Maybe you'll set it to once a day or an hour... so we can see you in the stats :)

Good to see new faces in that team! :cheers:

BTW: did I tell you, that I offer stats at http://www.the-mk.at/tkc/ which refresh every hour, so you can see your last days and last weeks transmissions? Now you know :D

Bok
10-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Yes,

I haven't submitted any yet......

Got it set to manual for now :)

Nice stats!

Bok :D

the-mk
10-30-2004, 01:43 PM
No one of the TKC members is typing into this thread? Why the hell did we start it?

Do you increase your keycount in other ways? Now I'll increase it this way :D

Those of you who are bored can read ahead, the others may stop reading here. I think you know why :D

Two weeks ago I was talking about getting a company car. Let's say, I was dreaming of it. Had a meeting yesterday with my boss and he told me that I won't get one in the next time. In the one hand I was glad because I purchased some new winter tires for my own car but on the other hand I'll have to pay for my car. The reason why I'm not getting the company car is the following: next week I (or we) 'll get a new collegue who has more work experience (ten years someone told me) than I have and so he'll get the company car. :(

What will I do next weeks? Now, I want to get new furniture for my room. But at first I have to tidy my room. Sort out things I don't need or I'll put onto (or do I have to say into or something different?) loft. Next step will be putting away the old furniture and then paint my room. Then I'll get a new floor (a parquet floor).

To make it easier to design my room I made an assembly with the CAD software of the company I'm working for. Designed furniture parts and put them into my room and arranged them on the screen until it look good :D That made a lot of mouse clicks and mouse moves, so that my stats at bmt.bewes.be increased :D

I hope that I'll get my new company notebook by the end of next week! It'll be a Dell notebook with a Intel Centrino cpu with 2 GHz and 1,5 Gigabytes of RAM :scared: and a nice Nvidia graphics adapter. For designing parts with CAD you'll need that amount of RAM and horsepower of Centrino Gigahurtz :notworthy I must test the distributed.net client on that machine, that must be screaming fast!

Now I don't know much more to say... maybe I'll press the "Submit Reply"-button and wite the next "article" within the next two weeks...

CaptainMooseInc
10-30-2004, 03:11 PM
True it is that I have not been loyal to the thread in which I had started. Only 702 keystrokes are in my TKC right now.

Me thinks the reason I haven't been typing in this thread is because I've been converting all of my mom's old recipes into a digital format. My keystrokes have been jumping substantially because of that matter. Hey, it's a Saturday and I've got free time so why don't I just type?

I recently won an eBay auction for $64.00 (including shipping) for an AMD Sempron 2500+. Now most people think the Semprons suck but they love their Athlon XP's. The funny part about the Sempron that most people don't know is that it IS the Athlon XP. The Athlon XP has been renamed the Sempron because AMD wants to save the XP name for its high-end 64bit chips.

I've found another thing out about Semprons too. The AMD Sempron 3100+ is the same as the AMD64 3100+ but it has a bridge or something like it locked on it. They have the same core and everything, but like the original Athlon XPs, they had restrictions placed on them.

It used to be that one could solder the L5 bridge on Athlon XPs and "unlock" it so it would be the same speed but register as an MP instead. I'm hoping that someone figures out how to unlock the Sempron 3100+ so it can use its full ability. The Sempron 3100+ is substantially cheaper than its 64-bit counterpart and there has to be some way to unlock the chip from being a restricted 32-bit chip to a full-blown 64 bit chip.

Oh well, maybe someday someone will have a way to do it.

I've also recently passed the $3000 mark for store credit at the Blockbuster video store. I plan on buying a PS2 for myself and 1 XBOX and another PS2 to sell on eBay to convert some of the credit into much needed cash.

My girlfriend finally got a $700 check she has been waiting on from her father in Texas since August. The funds go towards her tuition and school books cost. She wants to be a Child Psychologist.

I've signed up for 13 credit hours this current semester. Of them I may be passing....6....and that's pushing it. Usually in a situation like this I would care because it's my money going down the drain. The great part is though that I have a free 4 year paid tuition to any college in the state on Indiana (paid for by the state) I want to go to. I hate all my classes this semester and I cannot learn a foreign language worth s***. My brain hates foreign language. Next semester I will be changing majors to CIT (Computer Information Technology) Networking Track. This way I can learn how to properly handle and manage a computer network, build them, and troubleshoot them. :thumbs:

Not only should my keystrokes be going up from this thread, I should be making a big jump in the whole mouseclicks department too. Recently I finished DLing The Sims 2. My girlfiend is addicted to it, plus she is CLICK CRAZY. She watches everything at all times and clicks like mad. I submitted once before she started playing and when she was done she had almost 10,000 clicks!!! :shocked:

I've gained almost 4000 keystrokes by typing this so I think my damage has been done. I'll hopefully post again within a week or so. I might start a new thread so this one can die gracefully. Otherwise it may get too long and complicated too follow.

Thanks for reading if you actually did!
-Jeff

CaptainMooseInc
11-02-2004, 11:19 PM
It's me, posting again in TKC's Thread. I have some things I think I want to rant about so I might be able to get them out here.

political comments removed by IronBits

My goal for this thread is to bring my current keystrokes of 3600 up to about 5000 before I call it quits.

I'm changing my store credit at Blockbuster in for cash for a slight loss (substantial to others). I'm purchasing XBox systems and reselling them on eBay for cash. I spend $158.99 store credit and get roughly $100-115 in cash. I'm lucky enough to have run into a promotional deal with Blockbuster where I get 2 games and 2 months of XBox Live for free with the purchase of an Xbox at the normal retail price. This should help my auctions to go a little better.

On another note, I skipped work last Monday (not yesterday). I finally saw my boss this Monday (yesterday) a whole week later. She told me it was my final warning or else I'd be fired. I really don't care though because I'm only making $8/hr there. I have been offered a job at CompUSA as a computer repair tech for starting $9.50. I can't do that work though until I pass A+ and Cisco Certification programs. They pay for me to take both courses plus pay me to take them and I get to work for them doing other things until I pass the course. The only reason I'm staying with my current job is the fact that I get to dictate my hours on a very literal basis and that works great with my other job. CompUSA kinda doesn't care about college schedules and the fact that I have another job. I make $8.55/hr at that other job and I hardly have to do anything.

Anyway, I am at the 5300 mark and I'm tired and I wanna see the end of this election.

Hopefully you had fun reading my :rant:.

CaptainMooseInc
11-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Well, it's time again for another post into TKC's thread. Seeing as no-one else is posting. I've had some interesting developments in my life.

First of all, as you may or may not have read above, I am selling XBox's. Well, I expected to only get between $100-$115 for the XBox I first put up for auction. It went for a WHOPPING $148!!! I am extremely pleased. I earned all but $10 in store credit back as cold hard CASHHHHH!!!!! :D

That's the good part of my life.

Now for the bad.

One of my old best friends' from when I was little (I knew him from 5-13yrs old) has been charged with murder. He's 18 (two months younger than I). Apparently he's been involved in selling drugs for a little bit now (since he moved out when he turned 18). Well, an apartment owner owed three guys some money and wouldn't pay it back. Sooo...they robbed him and beat him up. The guy was scared to goto the police because he thought he may be killed. The guys who beat him up (including my former-friend) were afraid he may go and tell. So, they went back a week later and things got even more out of hand. Two guns were pulled, a .22 and a .38. The ballistics tests aren't back from the lab yet but one of those two guns were shot off at the guy and he died. My friend was holding the .22, let's hope the .38 was the killer. I think the most he could get if he wasn't the shooter is accomplice to murder and some drug charges. If he was the shooter, he's up for the death penalty which means he'll be dead by roughly 22 yrs old once the appeals get through. :cry:

I'm not much of a law-knowing person so someone might want to tell me what he actually could be up for.

People...do not mess around with :machgun: :sniper:. They are bad. I don't think they should be banned, but idiots like my old buddy shouldn't be allowed to have'em.

_SWITCH_
On another note, should we try and get a push to membership for Free-DC? If we have a decent graphics artist, he/she could design a flyer (2 per 1 sheet of paper) that we could print (or bring to Kinko's on a disk and make copies for cheaper), and then leave those fliers at computer fairs, small-time computer shops, or anywhere someone would let us leave them. Make a forum to help newcomers decide what projects to get into whether it be math, science, whatever. Who knows, the whole deal might only bring 5 people, or it could bring 50. Distributed 1000 fliers, get 50 people. Not a bad return. Just wondering if anyone thinks this is a good idea. If so, I'll bring a detailed new thread to The Lounge about it.

-Jeff

the-mk
11-10-2004, 12:21 AM
waa, I need to post...

can't post, too less time...

perhaps weekend...

haha keystrokes haha

:crazy: :haddock: :bonk: :rotfl:

yes, I'm insane!