PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems...

CaptainMooseInc
10-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Heya everyone.

I've got some big computer problems to tackle and I need some help.

I'm trying to work on a PC for my roommate's sister.

She's got a HP system that has onboard sound, lan, and video (ASUSTek board of some sort).

It had been taken over by spyware and I cleaned it up. When I hooked the computer up to the internet I DLed Ad-aware 1.05 SE Pro and in the process of scanning the computer a message came up that said "This computer has been shut down by remote means from: NT Security/????". It gave me 30 seconds to save data and close all programs before the computer shut down.

When I booted the computer back up I finished cleaning off the spyware and then tried connecting to the internet. Low and behold I can't get the internet to work.

I've uninstalled the driver for the NIC and rebooted and had it reinstall. I've tried the REPAIR option for the connection and it says it cannot find the DNS gateway or something like that.

I had the same problem with my roommate's Compaq and Best Buy said it had something to do with WINSOCK. I don't believe that for a minute but hey, what can ya do?

I switched my g/f's computer onto the same network cable and it wouldn't connect either. So I switched out the network cables and her computer connected perfectly after that. I tried reconnecting the other computer and it still didn't connect.

And yes, I did the shut down, unplug, replug, boot up new computer sequence.

Can someone help me please?!

-Jeff

Evilmoose
10-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Winsock is the probable cause. I have had to repair that before I just cant remeber how at the moment. Some Spyware cleaners even come with a "repair winsock" button because thats not uncommon.

CaptainMooseInc
11-01-2004, 07:56 PM
The computer is working again. I found a little program called WinSock XP Fix 1.2. It's great. I copied it to a floppy and ran it on the problem computer...

It fixed Winsock for me and the computer is working fine.

Apparently some spyware will install some changes to your Winsock and when you install that spyware it makes the Winsock settings inoperable. This program takes care of that.

Now all I have to do is clean the trojan horses off of it (doing that now) and I can hijack its spare cpu cycles for FaD to try and outrun Moogie a bit more....:thumbs:

Thanks,
-Jeff

P.S. if you wanna find the program as a just-in-case thing...search google by typing in FIX WINSOCK. It should be like the second link down.

wplm57
11-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Content deleted. Spam

By Colin