PDA

View Full Version : Need router help

Chinasaur
11-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Lost cable (Comcast) this weekend. When it came back up, I tried to use the last settings of the AP...that didn't work for some reason. I had to clone the MAC of a Win2K box to get the AP online.

Weird thing is this: When I re-enabled MAC filtering, the cloned box can't get past the router ... any ideas?

Router: D-Link 614+ 802.11b WAP. I had to use DHCP to set the MAC and then set static local IP's once I get the AP talking to the modem. It could be going to a static local IP is what is causing the problem, but that's just as weird. I also disable DHCP on the AP, use MAC filters and WEP. Affected box connects to the AP via cable.

TIA for any help.

:cheers:

Scoofy12
11-01-2004, 04:44 PM
so... lemme see if i understand you right. the AP is attached to the cable and you couldnt get it online until you cloned the w2k box? and then when you reenabled MAC filtering the w2k box couldnt associate to the AP bc of the filtering?

Chinasaur
11-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Check. Or..because I went back to assigning IP's vs using DHCP..which is how I got the Win2K box to talk to the AP in the first place.

It's kind of academic now. I'm moving back to Seattle and my boxes are getting unplugged anyway :(

But for the future, if anyone thinks of anything...I'd love to hear what might be causing this.

Scoofy12
11-01-2004, 09:20 PM
the most likely conjecture (which is just that, a conjecture) would be maybe some kind of interaction between MAC cloning and MAC filtering in the firmware of the router, rather than DHCP. but probably hard to tell without experimenting a bit

new job in seattle?