PDA

View Full Version : New disease in computers found!

CaptainMooseInc
11-03-2004, 11:35 AM
I've recently been conducting some research to find out if in fact computers can become ill much like humans.

The answer is YES!

Computers can be infected by virii, but I have also discovered a compu-psychological disorder I have dubbed Multiple DC Disorder.

Much like the human version of Multiple Personality Disorder, Multiple DC Disorder can affect many computers, but only those running more than one Distributed Computing project.

The test subject was my own personal computer.

Currently I have Find-A-Drug running on it. In a normal computer, this would be fine.
Other programs installed on the system that involve DC or DC-like projects include (but are not limited to) D2OL, SETI@HOME, Folding@Home, and DIMES.

When switched multiple times in a given time period (for this study, a week), the computer can become confused, leaving parts of other DC projects open while the core program is shut down. The computer becomes confused, not knowing what to believe is real or just another world. It begins talking to itself. I've even noticed an evolution of binary code to include the number 2. The new number seems to be what I now classify as the "Kerry Switch" so that the computer can make up its mind one moment (0), change it the next (1), and then explain it all without explaining a thing (2).

This new disease could be affecting your computer. As a special release to all Free-DC members, I have developed and released a program for download on ABDNet.com. Look in the downloads section for a program called PC-Prozak 0.1 Beta. The program will ask for your main DC project in use. Then the program will search your current processes for running instances of other DC projects that should have been long closed. Run this program twice a day for 3 months and your computer can be cured of this horrible disease.

Thank you for you time and I hope your computers will all be better soon.

-Jeff Lattea
Compu-Psychologist, Ph,D.

P.S.

If you're wondering....this was a....

J
JO
JOK
JOKE
JOK
JO
J

:neener:

PY 222
11-03-2004, 12:12 PM
No wonder my computer has been acting weird lately.

This explains it all. Thanks Dr. Lattea. :rotfl:

wirthi
11-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I really like the idea of comparing human diseases with computer's.

For example, a great field of exploration would be the "wonder of reset". If there is any disease on your computer, a fine standard reset will solve it without any other medication in a few minutes.

Is there any possibility to transfer that behaviour to human beings? I mean, of course there has to be, but has the reset button been found yet?

Perhaps someone should try and make a distributed human project out of this. Every participant gets one quare centimeter of body space to test and has to try and find a reset button there by an experiment on oneself. Once a reset button is found the user reports that to the server. I hope he can still remember the project after the reset. (Ah, well, the rules have to contain that you may NOT borg other bodies for that. Don't want that to become a PG-rated project :blush: )