PDA

View Full Version : Spellchecker for this forum

Scott Jensen
05-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Could we get one? I've really become spoiled by them and hate accidentally or unknowingly posting misspelled words.

Shaktai
05-12-2002, 09:06 PM
While a spell checker would be nice, wouldn't it be better if people just took the time to proof read their own work? After all, spell checker's are less than perfect.

mr_mann
05-12-2002, 09:13 PM
i myself dont care if someone mispells a word or two everyonce in awhile its not biggie as long as u can still understand what they are trying to say :D

Scott Jensen
05-12-2002, 09:48 PM
Shaktai:

I do proofread my posts ... and usually more than once. But stuff sometimes still slips through. Also, for those poor spellers out there, it will enable them to not only present a better post, but if they pay a little attention as the spellchecker works its way through their post, they might learn how to not make the same spelling errors again. That's how I learn spelling these days. And I was always a good student that was born and raised by two teachers, having graduated from college, and make a living as a marketing consultant (where accurate spelling is a must). To this day, I still make mistakes ... especially when posting to forums in my leisure time ... and sometimes late at night before heading to bed. ;)

Mr_Mann:

It's just a request and not some demand. I just prefer posting well and not reading a bunch of misspelled words.

IronBits
05-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Working on adding that spell checker feature for you now. :D
It was something that was going to be added along time ago, but somehow, it got shuffled to a back burner.
It's about 90% installed, and I need Dyyryath to finish adding it to the templates... then we can see if it's worth a darn or not at that time ;)

Scott Jensen
05-12-2002, 10:42 PM
IronBits,

Thanks! :)

Shaktai
05-13-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Scott Jensen
Shaktai:

To this day, I still make mistakes ... especially when posting to forums in my leisure time ... and sometimes late at night before heading to bed. ;)

That late at night before bed is when we all need them. Some nights I wonder if my words make any sense, even when they are correctly spelled. :D

alpha
05-13-2002, 04:09 AM
Will this new spell checker be able to handle British English? I'm assuming you guys are gonna have a US English spell checker and forget about the little people ;)

Nah, I'm not that bothered anyway, but as Scott said, "...and not reading a bunch of misspelled words." Well, as you know, in the UK, we spell a few words differently, i.e. favourite, colour, etc. So while the words appear correct to some, they are incorrect to others.

But I suppose this could branch off to having a whole location specific interface when you login, and all text is shown in that language. I don't think we need to go that far :D

Matt

IronBits
05-13-2002, 10:30 AM
It will be multi-linqual as I understand the documentation. It remains to be seen tho... Dyyryath is working on making the hooks into the Forum. English will be the default tho :p ;)