PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the EON website?

Jwb52z
01-07-2005, 08:23 AM
The project website seems to be completely down and inaccessible. What is going on?

Bok
01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
hmmm,

it's possible that Graeme (the project admin) is in the process of moving the website from washington university to his present position in texas. He said it was going to happen at some point along with improvements to the client and server.

Bok :D

Jwb52z
01-08-2005, 03:17 AM
Thank you so much for the reply and answer to my question. :)

vaughan
01-20-2005, 07:50 AM
Yes, Bok is correct. eOn has moved to the University of Texas.

http://eon.cm.utexas.edu/

magnav0x
01-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Good, now I can drive up the highway and hit their server when it runs out of work units. :D

Mustard
01-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Well Folks, Eon is back, but there are some client issues. You do have to download and install the new clients to participate. I cannot get all my linux systems to run the new client successfully. They contact the server, but that's about it, as they do not progress into the "dimer start" sequence. So I shot a note off to Graeme about it yesterday, and spent the day trying to reason out why some work and some don't. And after a bunch of re-installs of the O/S and client, I'm still not any further down the road of knowledge. Bok is also having non-running client issues, and we tried hashing that out late into the night. Graeme said that he would build a static linux client as his initial feeling is that it is a library issue.

So anyway, just thought I'd mention the client issue in case others have problems so they would know that Graeme is aware of it and working on it. The old client excelled at linux, and this one rocks on linux too. :)

Bok
01-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Agreed,

it also doesn't work on a 64-bit linux platform just yet....might need to contact Graeme regarding this too.

Mustard
01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Bok
Agreed,

it also doesn't work on a 64-bit linux platform just yet....might need to contact Graeme regarding this too.

He's been messing with it, as he mentioned to me that the first occurance of the client malfunctioning discussed above that he noticed, was on an Opteron. He hadn't seen it on other architectures though so thought it was only opterons...

I think we are just beginning to see the re-birth of the Eon project. I also mentioned to Graeme yesterday that it would be nice if the user "profiles" manager on his site also had an option so that people could update their email, as people change ISPs fairly frequently. Another change I asked about was to build into the client a cache that would suck down 5 or 10 work units, and grind them all then contact the server for up/downloading. Reasoning being that the client is pretty network intensive, and when some "farmers" start running 15 or so clients their net traffic gets a little intense, specially if they don't have a big pipe to the net. Due to the way they attack the problem on the project, they can't do a big cache like is possible on D2OL or TSC. Graeme said he like both of those additions.

So I do believe that he is going to expand this project above and beyond what it was when he was with UW where it started.

On stats, you will also notice that there aren't any "team" stats yet on the Eon site like there used to be either.

FoBoT
01-20-2005, 12:25 PM
nice

i hope he has time to get it all together

i'll run it again when i get my lab rebuilt (feb or march)

em99010pepe
01-20-2005, 12:33 PM
The new windows client is very fast!
1 job in 3 minutes compared to the previous version 1 job in 20 minutes.

Can someone confirm my statement?

Carlos

Mustard
01-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by em99010pepe
The new windows client is very fast!
1 job in 3 minutes compared to the previous version 1 job in 20 minutes.

Can someone confirm my statement?

Carlos

Yes, I have noticed good speed increases too.

em99010pepe
01-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Today I lost all my work done in the past two days, 300 jobs. I don't know what's going on. I sent an email to Graeme but still waiting for the reply.
I re-installed the windows client. Let's see if the problem persists.

Carlos

em99010pepe
01-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Problem fixed. Stats are now OK.

Just received an email from Alok Vaid and he said they were doing some database backups and they had to rivert back at 1 stage.

Carlos