PDA

View Full Version : Dual Proc Mobo

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Okay I wanna build a Dual Processor Based system..
so anyone any ideas on what mother board / CPU to use
I know there are AMD MP's out there I just get confused :crazy: by all the "names" that are banded about
was thinking 512MB per CPU - 1Gb in total
120+Gb Sata Drive (maybe 2 so i can RAID 1 it lol)
hmm got a Rad 7000 for graphics it will do (maybe over kill but it will do)..
PSU 350-400 Watts
was thinking of 2k as an os so i can run the windows client of D2oL as im not confident enough to run a linux node yet..
any ideas to add to this would be nice...

Jkusuda
01-09-2005, 04:05 PM
My newest workstation has 2 Xeons 3.0 ghz on an Asus PC-DL mobo. I've been really happy with it and the price for that mobo is relatively inexpensive for Xeon mobos.

Hope this helps.

:cheers:

Bok
01-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm building this exact same setup, though just overclocking 2 xeon 1.6's instead :)

$99 for both the xeons on ebay, the mobo is ~ $195 or so. It needs a small voltage mod but is otherwise apparently rock stable at 3Ghz.

Bok :|party|:

CaptainMooseInc
01-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Ok,

What mobo should I buy two put my Dual Xeon's in? I like ASUSTek so if they have a good one that'd be great!

Please, no RAMBUS boards (if they even used that in making the Xeon boards). I love my DDR. Rambus was made way before its time and I don't wanna be stuck with a technology I can't pop over to an AMD board if I decide I don't like my duallies. :)

Also, does anyone know if Win XP Pro SP2 handles duallies well, or should I resort to a lesser OS? Maybe Linux based cause I know I've been dying to get my grubby little hands into the workings.

Suggest the best Windows and Linux OSes to handle dual xeons.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Bok
01-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Asus PC-DL is the way to go. I have one being modded right now and I'll probably buy another as I have 4 Xeon 1.6 D1's.

They are not cheap at $190 but then again that is pretty cheap for a server class dual-proc mobo.

XP Pro will handle it fine as will most any linux variant you'd like to throw on it. They are HT enabled btw the way so it will look like a quad.

Bok

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Oh bok any AMD boards ya can recommend or are you an Intel Guy :D me like amd and all my others are amd would be stupid to mess with that lol

Bok
01-18-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm a bit of both, though mostly AMD.

I only have one AMD dual board and I'm pretty sure it's an MSI something. Not at home so can't tell ya! It's running two XP2400's modded to be MP's

You can dual opteron boards fairly inexpensively and the lower end opteron chips aren't too bad in price now too

Bok :D

Jkusuda
01-19-2005, 03:31 PM
gopher,

I know you said you wanted AMD but I figured I'd also suggest the Asus NCCH-DL board for Xeon's. It has the 800mhz fsb so you could get 64 bit computing out of the xeons if you so desired. IB perked my curiosity about having a 64 bit Xeon toy so I'm starting to build a configuration now. Not sure I'm willing to drop the cash necessary for 3.6 Xeon's but you can get 2.8's and still go 64 bit.

:cheers:

CaptainMooseInc
01-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Got two 1.6GHz Xeons coming. $117 w/ shipping off eBay.

Now time to get that ASUS mobo and everything to go with it.

You may see a thread opening up asking for help building and especially OCing it. I don't wanna burn out these chips.

-Jeff

IronBits
01-19-2005, 09:53 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50314 :smoking:

CaptainMooseInc
01-20-2005, 04:02 PM
You know that if I $*&^ this up I plan on :machgun: myself.

Dear Computer God, please help me through this time as I delve into building a PC that I have never tried before. Especially the modding part. God I'm $%*&ing scared!

-Jeff

Scooby Doo
01-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by CaptainMooseInc
Got two 1.6GHz Xeons coming. $117 w/ shipping off eBay.

Now time to get that ASUS mobo and everything to go with it.

You may see a thread opening up asking for help building and especially OCing it. I don't wanna burn out these chips.

-Jeff

Your lucky .

I got outbid at $105 before shipping :bang: ( I really must stop using theses walls , it gives me a headache :D ).