PDA

View Full Version : Good deed and crunching combined

jasong
01-12-2005, 04:34 PM
I couldn't come up with a decent title to describe this topic, but...

I'm not going to do this immediately, but I'm thinking about the idea of giving computers to the poor, and asking them to show their appreciation by crunching FaD. Uploading and downloading work, as well as updating the program, shouldn't use up more than $5-$6 a month on an old-style AOL account, if FaD is all they do(probably would be a good idea to clarify the status of the account).

Maybe figure out how much crunching it would take to get about 5000 points for every dollar on the computer and then name that date as part of the deal.

I expect to receive at least a little flaming, but what do you think of my idea?

black_civic55
01-12-2005, 04:43 PM
presonally don't think it'll work. What kind of poor are we speaking?? Some poor can't even afford electricity so thats not gonna work. And are you paying for their AOL service? Cause if they have to pay I doubt they're going to. What's to stop them from selling the computer to get money so they can buy actuall needs?

It's a great idea but i personally don't think it can be done.

jasong
01-12-2005, 05:00 PM
And are you paying for their AOL service?
Answer, and explanation of answer:

Uploading and downloading work, as well as updating the program, shouldn't use up more than $5-$6 a month on an old-style AOL account, if FaD is all they do[.]
It is possible to get an AOL account that charges $3.95/hr, as opposed to Unlimited, which is $24.95(I think). If all they used AOL for was to upload/download jobs and update the client, the charge would be for about 1.5 hours. Also, there may be an ISP available to them that charges, say, $0.50 an hour, which would make the charge about 75 cents. edit: I promised an answer, and then I didn't. Sorry. If I paid for AOL service or other service, it would simply be tacked onto the end. In this case, perpetual debt may be attractive, especially when you consider the payment method.

What's to stop them from selling the computer to get money so they can buy actuall needs?
Obviously, there would have to be a contract. I'm not sure about that expense, might have to look into it.