PDA

View Full Version : They're hereeee!!!!

CaptainMooseInc
01-24-2005, 12:56 PM
:bouncy: :fireboun: :bouncy: :fireboun: :bouncy: :fireboun: :bouncy: :fireboun: :bouncy: :fireboun:

Oh yes it's true!!! My dual chips are here!!!

Now all I gotta do is buy the mobo, case, and ram (and maybe some other stuff) and I should be good to go.

Might someone be able to suggest how many case fans and maybe the best HS&F for the buck would be to run these bad boys? I wanna OC to 3GHz and have them run stable under full load, but if I need to drop them to 2.4 to make that realistic well then so be it.

This is the case I'm most likely buying:
http://www.emicrox.com/eShop/product.aspx?advanced=1&cid=10002&attr=%7cP4+compatible&pid=976045

2 rear case fans (inlcuded)
2 front fans (optional)
1 side panel (optional)

I figure that's enough ventilation to keep the chips cool and my house warm. I'll face the back case fans out, the front case fans in, and the side panel out so it'll basically pull the air straight off the heatsinks.

Maybe I should put a blower in this thing too?

Thanks!!!
-Jeff

P.S. I've got an AMD Sempron 2500+ Retail Box that I'm not going to use anymore. If someone wants to make me an offer (not including shipping which will be cheap) then I may accept it. If I don't get a reasonable (or any) offers in 1 week, then I'll list it on eBay and post the link.

Thor
01-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I don't think you have that many possibilities with the heatsinks...

Don't they differ from PIV's ? You might only have a handfull of choices...

Are you shure that your PSU has enough punch for those cpus? If not I would recommend an Antec PSU ....

And let the fan on the side panel blow inside, as most fans on the heatsinks will blow on the cpu. otherwise, they have to work against each other...

If standart PIV heatsinks will fit, have a look at the Zalman coolers (can't remember thy type right now) those are pretty neat...

Thor

...pretty jealous at that duallie of yours

CaptainMooseInc
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I think I'm going to pull the 420W PSU and replace it with at least a 520W or 550W one. The 420W one will be for sale for a week on here for anyone who may want to buy it, after that it's going to go to eBay.

Oh yeah, you're right about the HS&F blowing direction...

I did have one HS&F that blew AWAY from the processor, and that confused me a great deal...

I think I'll start reading that guide to figure out a suitable PSU...since I will have a DVD-ROM, DVD+-RW, 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD, and a high end graphics card...heh...not suggested on the guide to use a 420W PSU. :p

-Jeff

Thor
01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
The number of watts tells you NOTHING!

Go with a high quality psu! then you won't need 550W.

Have a look how many Amps you have on each rail ...

I think in the guide it is mentioned which rail will be hit the hardest..
Compare those numbers on a cheap and an expensive psu and be surprised.

One reason why I recommended Antec is, th<t they have seperate rails for each voltage, so if you hit e.g. the 12V hard, your 5V rail won't drop...

That helps with stability.

I had a look an the Asus Mobo wich is recommended in the guide, and you have to have special HS for the Xeons. the ones for the PIV won't work.

My AlphaPal 8045 also sucks the air through the HS and does not blow on it. Thats how I know ;-) blowing won't work, because the fins are too close together...

Thor:D

Scooby Doo
01-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Ive been told the Asus PCH-DL is the same as the PC-DL only it has 64bit PCI instead of 32bit. Anyone know if this is true?

IronBits
01-28-2005, 07:26 PM
and about $200 difference in the price of the mobos ;)

IronBits
01-28-2005, 07:27 PM
You need 28amps on the 12v rail ...
30amps for 3.6GHz Noconas...

Scooby Doo
01-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
and about $200 difference in the price of the mobos ;)

PCH-DL £118.62 inc. VAT
PC-DL £115.61 inc. VAT

Second hand PC-DL off ebay currently £114.90 :rotfl:

IronBits
01-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Ok, so I exaggerated a little...

Pricewatch.com
Asus NCCH-DL - $247
Asus PC-DL Deluxe - $193

epinions.com
Asus PCH-DL - $300

PC-DL is cheaper and the recommended overclockers choice for LV Xeons 1.6GHz to get them to run at 2.8+GHz :p

:D

Scooby Doo
01-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by IronBits

...... recommended overclockers choice for LV Xeons 1.6GHz to get them to run at 2.8+GHz :p

:D

Ah this is what I was after :thumbs: .

MrTRS
01-29-2005, 09:52 AM
P.S. I've got an AMD Sempron 2500+ Retail Box that I'm not going to use anymore. If someone wants to make me an offer (not including shipping which will be cheap) then I may accept it. If I don't get a reasonable (or any) offers in 1 week, then I'll list it on eBay and post the link.

I've got $200.00 in my paypal account that has been laying around for a while.
I'll offer $200.00 that includes shipping.

Thanks,
Ray

CaptainMooseInc
01-29-2005, 01:21 PM
AMD SEMPRON 2500+ 1.75GHZ 256KB BOX - $86.00

That's the NIB Retail Price for a Sempron 2500+ dude! $200?! You could buy like......4 Intel Xeon 1.6Ghz chips for that much $$$!!!

I've already started the auction on eBay.

AMD Sempron 2500+ eBay Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44935&item=6739817455&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

That's the link. I'm assuming since you have a Paypal account that you have an eBay auction acount. Just bid like $50-$55 and check on it on the last day. These processors go for around $65 at the end of auction.

If you don't have an eBay account then I'll have my dad bid like $150 on it and then I'll sell it to you from the boards.

-Jeff

MrTRS
01-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I thought you were talking about a complete "Box" not just the CPU.
Thanks but no thanks.

Ray

CaptainMooseInc
01-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Retail boxed sempron 2500+ :p

Sry, I cruise eBay too much and am use to short descriptors.

-Jeff

Evilmoose
01-30-2005, 10:32 PM
I just bought everything I need for this same setup.
I went with the Asus PC-DL & Swiftech MCX603-V w/ thermaltake silentcats for cooling.:thumbs:
Hope to have it up and running by next weekend.

CaptainMooseInc
01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
I -LOVE- Thermaltake. THEY RULE!!!

Arctic Silver 5 is the best compound out there right now right? Would anyone suggest anything different? I have AS-5 and I'm really happy with how cool it keeps my AMD.

-Jeff

Evilmoose
02-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Mines up and running:|party|:
4 instances of d2ol without a hiccup so far @ 200X16 with the ram running in sync.
I will try try for more speed and tighter than SPD ram timings tomarrow.

I havent even soldered the pot to the board yet and might not:cool:

With the swiftech 603v and silentcats at full load Im running 52C on cpu1 and 51C on cpu2. The temporary 6 gig HD is louder then the fans, your right Jeff, Thermaltake rules.

Hows your rig comming?
What project do you have planned for it?

IronBits
02-05-2005, 04:08 AM
:smoking: :thumbs: More boxen goodness :elephant: