PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about duel users

nickbrownsfan
02-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Ok dumb question time :D
What causes the duel username problem? Ive read a few things about it and wasnt sure where the problem begins. Also is there going to be in the future some type of check system that will not allow duel users to exist? I would hate to think that someone could create an account with my username.

Im trying to learn more about the project/client etc so that if/when some of my team mates decide to run this project we will have someone on the team that can help them out.

I tried to do a quick install write up for the team but I have not yet tried to set up a 2nd rig on the project. I would like to add how to do that and from what Ive read a copy and paste of the config file from a working machine should do the trick but Im not sure when should that file be added after the client is in the folder window and install is complete?
The other problem/question is what if they are setting up the comp and dont have access to the config file does just entering the correct email address work as it should? Again the only reason I ask is because of the random problems Ive seen and I think a team m8 may have with a duel user.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice. :)

omer
02-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Sorry for the late reply.

There is no "dual user" problem whatsoever. It is just that if my nickname is omer, and somebody else wants to keep omer as well, he/she is allowed to do that. The main identity that is kept in our database is the email address which cannot possibly be duplicated, so i do not think that you have to worry about dual users. For further details, you may want to contact Alok at alokvaid@mail.utexas.edu. He is the one who handles all these database related issues.

Okay, the second question I do not understand completely, but I will try to answer nevertheless. There are two cases:

1. You want everyone to use your email address and therefore all the workunits will go under your name. This is like having no team, only one person. In this way, you are supposed to enter the email address which you use and dont have to copy client.cfg file anywhere.

2. You want to make a team, and be a member of that. In this case just make a new client with maybe a new address each time. Then you have to sign in using each of those addresses in the website and assign them to your team (you can add a new team name if it doesnt exist)

In both cases you dont have to copy client.cfg file. It will be created automatically for you.

I hope I answered what you were looking for. Omer

nickbrownsfan
02-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Ok yeah perhaps I wasn't to clear on what I was saying. We have a team (team Picard) and one of our members was trying to set up his laptop and his home comp. Somehow he ended up with 2 accounts but both with the same username. He got it sorted, I guess it was an email typo problem but its fixed now. :)

But I was just curious as to how I should tell people to set up 2nd or more rigs (as most of us seem to have more than 1 ;) and wasnt sure if a copy and paste of the first machines config file would be the best route to go.

Sounds like Ill just let them know to be sure to check and 2nd check the email when the set up the client (making sure its the same as the first one).

Thanks for the reply. :)

omer
02-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Actually copying the client.cfg file does the same effect! It just contains your email address, and server information.