PDA

View Full Version : DIMES project

black_civic55
02-21-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't know if any of you have looked at this project yet but they are about to release a new client in which you can have multiple agents under one user name. The great thing about it is that it takes up almost no CPU usage. It just pings other computers. So you can continue to do whatever project you are now with this running in the background. I already created a team for us if anyone is interested.

www.netdimes.org (http://www.netdimes.org)

PCZ
02-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I had a look at this a few months back before they had any teams.
The client is windows only at the moment and uses java.

The client I setup then seems to have stopped updating so I have set up another one.

We are in second place BTW.
Thanks to AvKyJJ :cheers:

If a few fellow Free-DC members would be so kind as to run one client then first place is within easy reach :Pokes:

black_civic55
02-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Alright people are joining. Yea, as i said they are releasing a new client very soon and it takes up virtually no resources. Hop on board and get us to number 1 :|party|:

em99010pepe
02-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Just joined. Is it possible to run more than one instance?

Carlos

black_civic55
02-22-2005, 05:02 PM
thanks for joining

2 instances on one computer?? I don't believe so. As for right now you can only run one client under a name. But with their new client coming out that will change so you can run as many clients as you want under one name.

PCZ
02-22-2005, 06:11 PM
I am having a hard time here gettting a client to register.

Incoming file is null or empty
Could not register.

Every PC I try seems to be the same.

OK figured this one out.
Doesn't register if you are behind a nat router.
Wants the client to have a public IP.

CaptainMooseInc
02-22-2005, 11:01 PM
I can't seem to "login" to join up w/ Free-DC team...

Maybe I'm dumb

black_civic55
02-22-2005, 11:28 PM
try and request a new password

em99010pepe
02-23-2005, 05:46 PM
black_civic55,

Thanks. I think we need more power. Since yesterday I only managed to make 2 025 measurements!

Carlos

PS(Read your PM)

TeeJay
02-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Dangit !

Why can't I find me some ASs ?

I've been looking...real hard too !

PCZ... what line do you use to get some ASs ?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

em99010pepe
02-27-2005, 04:35 AM
46K to 2nd place.
Come on guys!
DIMES is better than ChessBrain. Server always up!

Carlos

black_civic55
02-27-2005, 11:21 AM
we can do it!!! damn that bwhite!!!

black_civic55
02-28-2005, 09:24 AM
19,000 more untill second place in total measurements done!!! come on guys we might get it today!! :drums:

PCZ
02-28-2005, 09:45 AM
bwhite seems to be getting more than his fare share of AS's :jester:

black_civic55
02-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by PCZ

I sent them an email, about a week ago, asking about him and they replied just this morning.

They were not aware of his huge stats and looked into it. He copyed the properties file to a bunch of computers so that he can have multiple agents under one username. Technically its not cheating since you will be able to do this on the next agent but they are still contacting him to tell him to stop.

em99010pepe
02-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by black_civic55
I sent them an email, about a week ago, asking about him and they replied just this morning.

They were not aware of his huge stats and looked into it. He copyed the properties file to a bunch of computers so that he can have multiple agents under one username. Technically its not cheating since you will be able to do this on the next agent but they are still contacting him to tell him to stop.

It's not cheating. I tried that but without success because you have to install all clients using the same folder, if not you have to edit a bunch of files! I gave up.
There was also an issue because under WinMe I couldn't see if the client was running. The javaw.exe was in memory but the interface of the client wasn't there! Probably I need to update my java.
The only way I saw to improve performance was to edit the properties.xml file and change a few numbers. I did that several times but most of the times the client just stopped running with a bunch of errors.

Conclusion: Wait for the new client.

Carlos

Guilherme
02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
How often do they update the stats? Once in a day?

pfb
02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
I've set this up on 2 nodes on my LAN - both use the same username...is that correct or will it cause issues?

And what exactly are ASes and AS Links - and how'd you get them? :p

em99010pepe
02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Guilherme
How often do they update the stats? Once in a day?

From DIMES forum:

our general statistics are updated every five to ten minutes - however, for a single agent, it takes an hour or two to execute the measurements - so you could say that the statistics of your individual agent are updated every two hours

source (http://www.netdimes.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45)

Carlos

black_civic55
02-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by pfb
I've set this up on 2 nodes on my LAN - both use the same username...is that correct or will it cause issues?

And what exactly are ASes and AS Links - and how'd you get them? :p

I'm not really sure bout the same username thing. They say its not possible but some people, such as yourself, have been able to.

now for the ASes and AS links.... from their forum....

Basically, AS stands for "Autonomous System", a netwrok that is owned and managed by a single entity. For example, most ISPs have unique AS identifier, but also large companies (like GE) or universities usually register as ASes. Incidently it cost about $500 to get an AS number. These numbers are then used by the routing algorithm of the Internet to decide how to route my packet (for example, a packet from netDimes which is part of AS 378 is chosen to move to AS 20965 (the european academic network) and then to AS 701 (MCI) on its way to a certain customer.

ASes can vary significantly in size. The largest AS is probably AS 701 (MCI - UUNet) which has almost 2000 links to other ASes. The smallest I'm aware of is an ISP in Martha's Vineyard which has just one router

brianhiggins
02-28-2005, 04:03 PM
I've set this up on 2 nodes on my LAN - both use the same username

pfb - looks like you have 2 agents with different names (pfb and pfb75)

:thumbs:

pfb
02-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by brianhiggins
pfb - looks like you have 2 agents with different names (pfb and pfb75)

:thumbs:

:blush: - didn't notice that...cheers, time to #75 onto the team...

black_civic55
02-28-2005, 06:32 PM
could this post possibly be made a sticky or put in its own forum?? I see this thing goin big soon.

TeeJay
03-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by PCZ

BTW, I too just scored some ASs myself ! :jester:

WooHoo ! :D

black_civic55
03-02-2005, 02:28 PM
we all did, i dont know what happened but it seems everyone just scored a butt load of them.

As of right now remember only the stats under "team stats" are the accurate ones. All others are pretty messed up.

Bok
03-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by black_civic55
could this post possibly be made a sticky or put in its own forum?? I see this thing goin big soon.

Sure,

I'll make a forum for it.

Bok :D

*EDIT* oops, someone already did it!!

black_civic55
03-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Bok
Sure,

I'll make a forum for it.

Bok :D

*EDIT* oops, someone already did it!!

haha yea that confused me, I was thinking that my definition of forum was all messed up!! Thanks anyways! and thanks to whoever did do it.

Bok
03-02-2005, 02:34 PM
IB was on the case yesterday :)