PDA

View Full Version : eon and W2K

n7vxj
03-01-2005, 09:01 PM
O.K. Guys, I have a dual cpu machine running mp2400's I'm thinking about pulling off FAD and putting on eon.First off, it's running W2K.Second, I would need to know where to download the client, and how to set it up on the dually to take full advantage of both cpu's.

Jkusuda
03-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Download here:

http://eon.cm.utexas.edu/download.php

To utilize both cpus, find the program folder and click on the client.exe file 2x and it will open up 2 eon clients.

I've read in here several times that the eon client is fastest running under Linux.

Hope this helps,

:cheers:

n7vxj
03-01-2005, 09:33 PM
O.K., I read the faq's, but have a question.It says something that leads me to believe I have to stay online the whole time the client is running.Is this the case?

Mustard
03-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes, you have to stay online the whole time you run Eon.

And my two cent opinion on this is that is would be a shame for you to use a windows based dual system on Eon. Much better bang for the buck just staying with FAD or something else. Now if you want to change it to linux, then you would clock out a few work units. The bottom line here is that an xp2400 running linux will do the same (or more) eon units that your dual mp2400 runing windows would do. I've done a dual install on my windows boxes and run linux on them for eon.

n7vxj
03-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Well, the fact is all my systems (4) are on a router, and dsl.I simply will not run it because of the fact that I would have to stay online the whole time it's running.I won't run the risk of my systems being hacked, not that there is anything important for them to get to, I just don't like the idea of someone getting into my systems.Oh well, I guess I'll just leave it running FAD.:trash:

Jkusuda
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
n7vxj,

If you are looking for other projects, I was doing DPAD for a little bit and had no problems with that client. It supports multiprocessors as well and was fairly simple to setup and use.

:cheers: