PDA

View Full Version : G@H Classic

FoBoT
05-22-2002, 12:17 PM
i tried to start this discussion in the lobby, since it involved F@H And G@H and its been ignored, so i'll try it here

is everybody going to quit G@H? my feeling is that stanford is going to abandon it fairly quickly, look at F@H 1 , officially they said people could continue to run it, but do you know anybody that still is? seems to me that G@H classic will fade away quite quickly, some switching to F@H3 (with the incorporated G@H core) or switch to other projects

me, i am killing my last couple of G@H 0.99 client before the weekend and will not run it anymore

i have F@H2 running on two pc's at home, when F@H3 comes out of beta i will upgrade them to that, but i will crunch G@H classic no more forever

thoughts?

also, does this forum get a name change? or go away?

Smiling Carnivore
05-22-2002, 03:22 PM
FoBoT, since you run F@H2 now, I will ask you this. Have they gotten any better about the time frame? I tried running it for a little while, but some of my machines are slow and I am on dial up. Do you know if Stanford has addressed this issue at all as far as F@H3/G@H2 goes?

FoBoT
05-22-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Smiling Carnivore
Have they gotten any better about the time frame? I tried running it for a little while, but some of my machines are slow and I am on dial up. Do you know if Stanford has addressed this issue at all as far as F@H3/G@H2 goes?

i don't know anything about the new version 3.0, there is a beta available, but i'm not interested in beta testing

i only run F@H 2 (just like F@H 1) on FAST pc's with a ROCK SOLID continuous internet connection, which means my two pc's at home , athlon 1Ghz and athlon 1.2 Ghz on my cable modem
if you run it on a slow pc you are likely to have time-outs and if you internet isn't reliable/continuous, you will loose cycles

the only issue they say they addressed in this realm is proxy/firewall, the release info says the new F@H 3 will work through http/port 80 for people inside corporate firewalls/using corporate proxy's

if the later versions let you select G@h work only, then perhaps the time out issue will not be a problem, but if you get random f@h/g@h units, then that would be bad

ulv
05-22-2002, 05:24 PM
Well, I share your thoughts about G@H classic, Fobot, it will fade away. I stopped G@H when I reached 100K, went to DF. Never did F@H.
I will wait and see what the new client is all about, but won't be doing any betatesting. And I think I need some new motivation to do more Stanford- crunching, I like the way DF is managed.