PDA

View Full Version : Red Library DLV

CaptainMooseInc
03-28-2005, 08:16 PM
There is a link-validator project that uses very little bandwith and virtually no resources (MUCH LIKE DIMES) that validates links for the Ready Responses Red Library.

The website can be found at: http://www.readyresponse.org/index.php?option=com_distcomp&Itemid=52&opt=2

I am running this project under the name CAPTAINMOOSEINC at the moment. There are no teams so we can't all join and have individual usernames under a team.

What I have done though is shut down my Red Library DLV client and started running it under the name FreeDC.

I see that there are a few guys processing 8000+ links a day while I'm only doing like 2500ish.

I want to know if he's runing multiple clients from different locations because you can only validate 10 links every 5 minutes.

If he's running 3-4 -different- computers this may allow him to bypass the every 5 minute connection rule because it's all from different IP addresses.

Would someone please download the client: http://www.readyresponse.org/index.php?option=com_distcomp&Itemid=52&opt=7

And put in the FreeDC username. If you're willing to do this please respond to my post and I will PM you the password. I only need 1 person to test it out for me. If it works then I will PM anyone that password to the account so they can also use the Red Library DLV client and we can OWN this project something hard.

There are Windows and Mac clients available right now with a Linux client on the way soon.

I'm hoping to get as many people possible to validate links under the Free-DC name and then that's just another project with our name on top.

-Jeff

Leviathann
03-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Sure, I'll check it out.

CaptainMooseInc
03-28-2005, 08:54 PM
You've got PM

black_civic55
03-28-2005, 08:59 PM
i used to do this. but i stoped when i saw it was only for ready response links. If they were able to do it for the whole net then i'd continue but i felt it was useless. matter of fact im still ranked in the top 20.

CaptainMooseInc
03-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey,

Red Library is no little-used portal.

It's like validating links for News.com or Wired.com

It's a bunch of news links. If the links are bad Red Library tests them and removes them. That way the news content you search for it better.

I plan on using Red Library to help find stuff I need for research so I might as well help remove the bad links from their database so I spend less time doing research.

Wouldn't you start up again if Free-DC had a team on a low-bandwith/low-CPU usage project just so we could have our name on top of something else?

Might as well do it well before DPC, US-D, or XPC hops on. Kinda like how we got on top of DIMES at just the right time.

-Jeff

black_civic55
03-28-2005, 10:12 PM
I'll start again but only if we incorporate a team thing, instead of just having my name on there. haha i still feel so accomplished that i stoped over 2 months ago and im still in the top 20

birdman2584
03-28-2005, 10:16 PM
im in as well, if you wanna send me a pm with the free-dc information, ill be glad to run it too

CaptainMooseInc
03-28-2005, 10:31 PM
The team name is FreeDC. We will all have to process links under that name.

I am waiting for Leviathann to get back to me (CHECK YOUR PMs ASAP DUDE! :p) to see if you can run multiple clients from different locations.

As it sits now I can run 1 client on my desktop and get 10 links every 5 minutes. It will not let me get links continuously. Some users are putting out 8,000+ links/day so I think that you can in fact run more than one client so long as a different IP address is asking for the links.

If we can get at least 4 people other than me processing links than we can do tons per day. I am managing around 2,000-3,000 links/day (don't know the exact number because the client seems to be a minute or two late sometimes). The highest producer at the moment is doing 8,000+ so that would put us at 10,000+ links per day. That would put us in the top 10 in less than 2 weeks.

Once I get a response from Leviathann I will PM anyone who wishes to participate the Username and Password to use the Red Library DLV client.

Maybe we can get 20-30 PCs on this bad boy and verify every link they in their database every day or half day. :D

-Jeff

birdman2584
03-28-2005, 10:43 PM
its up and running for me, and it looks like it is working just fine. I think this is how the others do it. Running it at 5 min interval, 10 links at a time...the most one computer can do in a day is 2880.

24 hours a day * 60 mins = 1440 m/day
1440 m/day / 5 min intervals = 288 different sessions.
288 * 10 links at a time = 2880 different links tested.

what im trying to say is it is impossible for them to be scoring over 2880 a day unless they have more than one computer working on it.

black_civic55
03-28-2005, 10:47 PM
i used to run clients with the same name on other computers. i was ranked 2nd everyday

CaptainMooseInc
03-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Birdman and Black, you both have PM

ANYONE ELSE WANT THE USERNAME/PASSWORD???

PCZ, PY 22, Fozzie, Bok, IronBits? Anyone using DIMES mind loading this up too?

Post a reply asking for a PM and I'll PM you the UN/PW ASAP

-Jeff

black_civic55
03-28-2005, 10:52 PM
sent ya a reply

birdman2584
03-28-2005, 10:55 PM
i get this message from the program now.

[10:56 PM] Client started

[10:56 PM] Connecting to Red Library server...
[10:56 PM] Connection to server established...

[10:56 PM] Sorry - you are running too many clients on this project
[10:56 PM] The maximum number of clients you can run is 3

[10:56 PM] Client stopped

n7vxj
03-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I have 4 boxes sitting here on a dsl connection.Would I be able to run it on all four, or only one, since they are all on the same connection?

black_civic55
03-28-2005, 10:58 PM
hmm that stinks

maybe we should run our own names untill a team option is available?

n7vxj - i ran them on 2 computers with the same connection. had no problems

CaptainMooseInc
03-28-2005, 10:59 PM
There's our answer.

3 clients max.

*SWEARS*

I'm going to contact the project coordinator and see if we can't bump that up to UNLIMITED.

Birdman, me, and black_civic will run the client for now until I get a response. If they won't increase the number of clients I will drop out.

-Jeff

birdman2584
03-28-2005, 11:00 PM
hehe, i guess im up for that but who knows til how long a team option will be available. anyone know how often they update the program or the website for that matter?

n7vxj
03-28-2005, 11:03 PM
That Sucks!! Maybe you could convince them to set it up for teams!!!! :Pokes: :bang:

birdman2584
03-28-2005, 11:19 PM
i found the answer to my own question. It looks like the latest release of the client was on March 25 (version 1.7). I guess we can assume they are actively working on improving it and making it more desirable for more people to join.

CaptainMooseInc
03-29-2005, 02:52 AM
Just to let anyone else who was running this client (birdman, black_civic), you cannot CLOSE this one like DIMES and have it run in the background. You MUST hit the minimize button and it'll goto the systray. DIMES does this when you hit the X to close it, but Red Library DLV doesn't.

If you guys have closed it please reopen so we can get some more links put out.

-Jeff

black_civic55
03-29-2005, 07:59 AM
that was my bad, my computer shut off in the middle of the night

Leviathann
03-29-2005, 08:25 AM
oh sorry dude, I thought you wanted me to test it for a few hours before I got back to you. I've been running it since last night and it's still going strong.

PS - it is kinda bad if you have thousands of people pinging (or whatever) your sight constantly because that will kill bandwidth over a given length of time. Especially if someone has a link to their home computer/server with only DSL or Cable, Like I do.

http://leviathann.homeip.net

CaptainMooseInc
03-29-2005, 01:02 PM
It's not their site that's getting pinged.

If you check the links you see that Red Library just collects news links and makes them available in one big collective.

If Red Library hosted then I could see the trouble, but if it's other people's bandwith then ping away *coughs*MAKELOVENOTSPAM*coughs*

:)

-Jeff

em99010pepe
03-29-2005, 03:25 PM
All answers from Wang, he gave me permission to post:

Maximum number of clients

The limits were put in after the inital testing of the client prior to
public-release. Basically we realised that with the number of clients we
have running at present, we can validate all 31,757 Red Library links easily in a matter of a few hours. Due to this, we decided that it was probably best to put a client limit on for the time being - to avoid unncessary work being done by the participants. The plan is to increase the number of clients people can run as redlib increases its number of links -
i.e. the more links Red Library has, the more clients we will need running to validate them all :)

We are now reaching a stage in the project where I think the client limit
will be raised to allow more shortly.

Also, there are other exciting additions to the project coming soon - including the ability for each partipant to put his/her own site URL into the link check rotation. Then - if any partipants site is found to be down by the DLV project - we will send the participant a notification via email (and other mediums to come). This means the DLV project will be providing a service similar to www.alertra.com - but for free and only to the people taking part in the DLV project, because it will be made possible by the people participating! :) We are very excited by this idea!

Teams requests

This is a very popular request at the moment - and we agree that teams
would be an excellent addition to the DLV project. We will be working to
implement teams very shortly!

Cheers,

Carlos

Leviathann
03-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by CaptainMooseInc
It's not their site that's getting pinged.

If you check the links you see that Red Library just collects news links and makes them available in one big collective.

If Red Library hosted then I could see the trouble, but if it's other people's bandwith then ping away *coughs*MAKELOVENOTSPAM*coughs*

:)

-Jeff

This is my point, it's other people's bandwidth, I don't want people ping killing my server constantly but after reading empepe's post I suppose it doesn't matter so ping away!

black_civic55
03-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Well since they are going to be possibly making teams then does somebody want to run the FreeDC one we have going for me and I'll continue to run my name so if we are able to merge names onto a team we could get a lot of extra points

em99010pepe
03-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by black_civic55
Well since they are going to be possibly making teams then does somebody want to run the FreeDC one we have going for me and I'll continue to run my name so if we are able to merge names onto a team we could get a lot of extra points

I would like to add another machine but I will only have access to it on Friday.

So who is running the project? I would like to see how much we have so far but the stats only show up the first twenty! Don't forget that bwhite2 is from AMDUsers team.

members:

FreeDC
AvKyJJ
blackcivic55
em99010pepe

Carlos

CaptainMooseInc
03-30-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm running under FreeDC name. I'm hoping to see at least 2 others that I gave passwords to still running the client, though the stats aren't reflecting that on my node.

Please, if you're still using the FreeDC name please let me know or I'll give 2 other people passwords.

Thanks,
-Jeff

black_civic55
03-30-2005, 04:06 PM
as i said before you can give some one the password for me cause i'm just gonna run my name untill we can have teams. hey guys, get to work, its a little lonely being the only one in the top 20 :moon:

edit: wait forgot AvKyjjasdjfhl or whatever his name is, is with us!!

em99010pepe
03-30-2005, 05:14 PM
as i said before you can give some one the password for me cause i'm just gonna run my name untill we can have teams. hey guys, get to work, its a little lonely being the only one in the top 20 :moon:

edit: wait forgot AvKyjjasdjfhl or whatever his name is, is with us!!

Give me ten more days and I will be there.

Carlos

birdman2584
03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
i stopped running under the free-dc name because i could no longer do any work on it because of the 3 client max thing. Therefore, i just am running it by myself and join free-dc when the teams are put into place.

CaptainMooseInc
03-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Is anyone other than me still running FreeDC name? I'm stopping using the name tomorrow (11,000+ links validated so far). I'll switch back to my CaptainMooseInc name and then when the time comes I'll join the FreeDC name up for the links.

-Jeff

Leviathann
03-31-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm trying to run under my own name but all I'm seeing in the client are connect messages every 5 minutes. It doesn't seem to be doing anything.

em99010pepe
04-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Wang, from The Red Library DLV Project, would like to know what Free-DC members would like to see implemented into the DLV project in the future.
Any ideas?
Let's make a list.

One more thing, he also told me that a few members signed up for individual accounts and you guys don't have to be worried because in the future will be possible to merge the individual stats into the future Free-DC team.

I think it's better to invite Wang to check our forum.

Cheers,

Carlos

CaptainMooseInc
04-03-2005, 06:08 AM
What DLV should implement:

1.) The option to validate more links at once (I don't care if all the links could be validated in a matter of a couple of hours, if I could I'd validate links 24/7)

2.) Teams

3.) Be able to make "Agents" much like DIMES has that belong to a bigger "master name".

4.) An infinite number of clients can connect and get links.

5.) Be able to "ADD" to the library yourself. I believe the Red Library is a news collector source. People could "reserve" certain news sites (such as News.com, Wired.com, Shortnews.com, CNN.com) and "harvest" links from these sites to be added to the Red Library. Of course the links wouldn't become an "official" part of the Red Library until approved however the links are approved. They can be checked though so that suggested links are removed if found dead while pending approval. I myself couldn't harvest all the links from News.com for news, so a few people (say 10 max) could submit links, duplicate links would be removed if submitted more than once.

6.) Teams

7.) Maybe the Red Library client could be "transformed" into a spider of sorts. If the number of links to be validated cannot be increased, maybe the client could "crawl" news sites in search of new links. You would "reserve" your news site and give the spider a few examples of newslinks, it would then search for similar links of "new news" and add them to the Red Library's list of pending links. If the link is not a news link then it would be removed manually (in case of error by the program).

8.) Get ahold of GOOGLE!!! There is no bigger search engine than Google. Google's Toolbar had something where you could do a DC project if you DLed it awhile back. I dunno if it still does it. Take the program so much further than just the Red Library. Get a list of links (it'll only fill a few servers) that Google has and let the program check for dead links. The program would find more dead links for Google and report them to "collector server". This server would then have an in-house set of PCs I'm more than certain Google would put up with their own software to validate the links are dead and remove them from the search results....

9.) Make sure your copyrights and patents are in place cause Gooooooooooooogle will just take your idea and tack another $10 billion on in Revenue....

-Jeff

Wang
04-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Howdy all,

Thank you for all your ideas so far - please keep them coming! We are always looking for ways to expand and improve the DLV project.

1.) This option is coming - the number of links the DLV will let you validate is proportional to the number of links in Red Library (http://www.red-library.com) - as RedLib grows, the client will be able to validate more links. Expect an update shortly.

2.) Teams are coming :D - and if any of you are participating individually at the moment...keep going plz! your stats can later be added to your team, so all the work your client does at the moment will not be wasted :)

3.) I'm not familiar with "Agents" - could you give us some more information on this?

4.) See 1 :) - this will be coming shortly and will continue to improve as Red library grows.

5.) You can add to the library yourself! We do automatically take links from newsfeeds as well - but the majority of our links are from user submissions - http://www.red-library.com/index.php?show=add

7.) This is a nice idea - I will discuss this with the guys at RR. We are also looking planning a feature along similar lines (mentioned above) - the ability for each partipant to put his/her own site URL into the link check rotation. Then - if any partipants site is found to be down by the DLV project - we will send the participant a notification via email (and other mediums to come). This means the DLV project will be providing a service similar to www.alertra.com - but for free and only to the people taking part in the DLV project, because it will be made possible by the people participating! Note, this is different to you just submitting your own site via red library this moment - because right now it will just be treated as another link, whereas with this new feature it will know the link belongs to you, and can alert you when the link is down/404 :)

8.) Another interesting idea, we will look into this.

regards
Wang

em99010pepe
04-03-2005, 04:28 PM
hey guys, get to work, its a little lonely being the only one in the top 20 :moon:

I'm in TOP20. :moon:

Hi Wang.

Carlos

birdman2584
04-03-2005, 04:29 PM
im working on it....lol

birdman2584
04-03-2005, 04:44 PM
1.) i think it would be more conveinent if there was a link to the website on the client and/or a link to the stats.

2.) on the stats page, allow user to see their position in relation to others even if they arent in the top 20.

black_civic55
04-03-2005, 05:04 PM
about time carlos!!! i was gettin impatient :Pokes:

em99010pepe
04-03-2005, 05:59 PM
about time carlos!!! i was gettin impatient :Pokes:

Now to TOP10. I think I lost one machine.

Carlos

black_civic55
04-03-2005, 06:01 PM
yea it looks that way, and if i wasnt a little impared last night......:drink: ...... i woulda had another machine running too

em99010pepe
04-03-2005, 07:01 PM
yea it looks that way, and if i wasnt a little impared last night......:drink: ...... i woulda had another machine running too

Just found that my father closed the application.:bang:
The good news is that Dnet is running, hidden mode.

So perhaps it's a good idea to implement a service mode in the future Red Library DLV client.

Carlos

em99010pepe
04-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Can you guys confirm that now is possible to run more than 3 clients or it's just my imagination?

Carlos

CaptainMooseInc
04-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Look at the #20 spot on Red Library DLV!!!

And as an FYI that's me crunching under that name. I forgot to switch back to CaptainMooseInc so I might as well rank our Team Name. :)

-Jeff

black_civic55
04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
isnt spoofy with us too? or maybe its scoofy, im not sure

em99010pepe
04-11-2005, 02:51 PM
isnt spoofy with us too? or maybe its scoofy, im not sure

scoofy12 is a Free-DC member but Spooty I don't know!

Carlos

birdman2584
05-01-2005, 03:22 AM
take another look at that top 20! Another Free-DC member on the list :|party|: :kiss:

em99010pepe
05-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by birdman2584
take another look at that top 20! Another Free-DC member on the list :|party|: :kiss:

Congratulations.

Last month I was almost exceeding my bandwith limits so I had to stop running DLV. I'm back again. I will add three machines.
I see alot of AMDUsers members(6) in Todays Top 10.

Carlos

black_civic55
05-09-2005, 05:41 PM
well sum1 come on!!

its get lonely once again up here in this 8th spot. :neener:

birdman2584
05-09-2005, 07:26 PM
haha, i can only do so much :looney:

em99010pepe
05-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Hello em99010pepe,

Over the next week we will be migrating to a new dedicated server for
the Red Library DLV project. As many of you will have seen, the DLV
project has been displaying some "time out" errors recently due to the
increasingly high load on our present server. In order to fix this issue
and to provide more room for the expansion of the DLV project we will be
moving to a new dedicated server this week.

This email is just to let you know that the DLV project may have a
small amount of downtime during the migration this week - we will be aiming
to keep this at a minimum and don't worry, you can just leave your DLV
client running and it will reconnect to the new DLV server as soon as
it is up. We will send another email out to you to confirm the server
move once it has been successful.

In other news - team support will shortly be added to the DLV project
(all your current links/404's can be added to any team you join, if you
wish). More information on this soon!

Thank you for supporting the Red Library DLV project,

Best regards

Ready Response / Red Library