PDA

View Full Version : Clients Not Uploading

Paratima
05-25-2002, 08:29 AM
As of sometime this morning, my clients are not able to upload. From the looks of the stats pages, it's widespread.

Do we have a server "in the weeds"?

pelligrini
05-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Are you getting:
"STATUS 909 STRUCTURE WRITE ERROR"

Paratima
05-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Why, now that you mention it... no.

raggie
05-25-2002, 10:05 AM
my stats havent went up in a while whats wrong and i have got that error you mentioned what does it mean?

Paratima
05-25-2002, 10:17 AM
It means there is a difficulty with DF's servers.

Hopefully, Howard or Elena will notice it shortly and give it an administrative kick in the butt to get it going again.

Your results should be OK, especially if you are running with the -df option. When the server gets fixed, they should upload normally. ;)

raggie
05-25-2002, 10:19 AM
lol sighs well im a idiot so when it said that i thought the program got messed up so i reinstalled it lol ...lol i will make sure i dont do that again

pelligrini
05-25-2002, 10:20 AM
raggie: Something's broke... ;)

Paratima: The error line happens right after the client uploads (well, tries to) and will go away after a short while.

On the first machine I saw it happen I stopped the client and it tried to upload two filesets (unsuccessfully). When I restarted it only tried to upload one fileset. The larger .bz2 files are no longer in the directory.

raggie
05-25-2002, 10:22 AM
broke on my end or theres?

Paratima
05-25-2002, 10:48 AM
Their end. Breathe deeply. Try to relax.

Moogie
05-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Relax he says...oi.

Ok..I'll wait to see what happens next. Thanks for the update.

MAD-ness
05-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Be SURE you have the '-df' switch set in the foldit.bat file!

A cut and paste from the technical support forum where I was trying to explain the '-df' switch to someone:

Step 1:

Edit the "fodlit.bat" batch file in the distribfold\ directory. You will see something like this at the start of the file:

@echo off
:start
.\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native

The third line contains 'parameters' or 'arguments' (not sure what the proper term would be) for running the client .exe (foldtrajlite).

You want to add a "-df" 'switch' to this line so that it looks like this:

.\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -df

This will enable much larger buffering, which will allow you avoid the error message and halting of the client after 6 sets of structures are completed (30,000 proteins). The -df switch will allow your client to keep on crunching, even if it isn't able to contact the server to upload results. Also, if you have a larger number of structures to return you NEED the -df switch in order to properly upload the results (otherwise it can 'lose' some of them). With the -df switch enabled you don't have to worry about losing results like this.

You seem to have assumed that the client is connecting to "get work" but this client does NOT download work units, once you install the client you do not have to connect to the DF server before you can begin crunching. Just an FYI I guess.

Paratima
05-25-2002, 02:59 PM
I believe it's fixed.

Brian the Fist
05-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Brian the Fist to the rescue again. :jester:
Just another database corruption problem. Can't wait til we switch database software...

Moogie
05-25-2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Appreciate it. :)

Maxout
05-25-2002, 03:34 PM
Well the uploads may be working, but the stats are not updating. :haddock:

Jodie
05-25-2002, 04:54 PM
I bitched *a lot* when doing G@H. It was frustrating to see things go down over a weekend (or the New Year fiasco - what was that a MONTH) and see no interest in getting things alive again until it was convinient.

So please forgive me for being forward - here's what I posted on the Overclocker's Network team board:

I'm still impressed... I mean *really* impressed.
What we have is a database get corrupted at 3am PDT Friday night/Saturday morning. We see it back online and an explanation by 1:30pm Saturday afternoon. We're talking sub-12hr turn around. You have to pay out the nose to get that to happen with Dell or IBM.

I'm impressed. Rock On DF project!

Thanks, Howard, for actually *caring * about your project. It makes a difference to your users/supporters too, and it certainly doesn't go unnoticed. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Paratima
05-25-2002, 05:16 PM
Yeah. What she said.