PDA

View Full Version : Next Project

Leviathann
04-10-2005, 01:09 PM
As our work on RC5-72 comes to a close I suggest we take on a project that will benefit us the most in terms of getting in the top 10 or even the top 5. Seventeen or Bust. We are currently in 14th so it shouldn't take much to get us up there. What do you all think?

edit, our stats say we are in 14th, this must be out production rate rank, the project site says we are 10th in overall production.

em99010pepe
04-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I suggest DPAD because AMD's and Intel's are good at it.
AMD sucks on SOB but we can help Free-DC, just until we get 7th place (100T away).

Carlos

jasong
04-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by em99010pepe
I suggest DPAD because AMD's and Intel's are good at it.
AMD sucks on SOB but we can help Free-DC, just until we get 7th place (100T away).

Carlos I've said this before, but maybe I'm the only one anal retentive enough to care. If we got super-organized, we might be able to improve our accomplishments a little more. An example of a problem is that I'm sure there are people running Intels on FaD. If you're super hands-on about your hobby, that's great, but if you're looking to improve production for the project, the team, or yourself, you're wasting a TON of time.

I'm going to say something, and it's not a complaint, it's an advantage for the team if you like the idea. I've lost my job because of health problems related to my medication and the fact I work on a hot parking lot(Quitting solved the health problem, btw). I would like to set some some goals, if this really takes off, someone should start a new topic with a title that describes this better.

goals, in no particular order:

(1) Determine a way to calculate approximate points when a project is run in a selected configuration. Gaps are not a problem, educated guesses are permitted.

(2) Figure out what our goals our, and find a way to quantify them. For instance, assuming two projects take the same amount of time to install and we're advancing at the same rate in each project relative to the individual points rules, the thing that would matter would be the relative value of each computer configuration when it came to scoring. We could come up with a base configuration(1GHz AMD "something" running Linux) and come up with a point value relative to 100. If we REALLY wanted to be anal retentive we could have people rate projects from 1-10 so that the assignments will fit their personality or goals. Total the point values up for each project and multiplying them by the total value of all the configurations would tell us where the team needs to add or take away power. (Yes, I know I sound like a nerd)

(3)Alternatively, we could use the point values to trade time with others. I could run rc5-72 in exchange for someone else running LLR tests in Riesel Sieve, something which I've attempted before.(Actually I still want to do this, PM me if you're running an Intel on a project that likes Semprons better. If one does "too much" output, there can be a planned switch every once in awhile which could give one person "extra" time. Anything that likes Semprons is fine)

Close your mouth before a fly flies in. :)

black_civic55
04-17-2005, 06:23 PM
good ideas but if we're going to try and get us to a certain point we're going to need everyoned fire power instead of putting people of different projects. If we get a lot more people to join and support our idea then that option could come into effect.

jasong
04-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by black_civic55
good ideas but if we're going to try and get us to a certain point we're going to need everyoned fire power instead of putting people of different projects. If we get a lot more people to join and support our idea then that option could come into effect. I promise this isn't a flame, but if we want to dominate projects and plan more than, say, a month ahead, it's sometimes necessary to understand how different architectures react to different programs.

For example, I have a 2500+ rated Sempron. It runs Find-a-Drug like a champ, but it's a complete dog at primality testing. If my interest is advancing in FaD, than I'm probably exactly where I need to be. But if my goal is helping out Riesel Sieve with prime-checking, I can benefit from an exchange with anyone that has Intel that goes from about 1.5GHz on up, with BOTH people getting an advantage.

It depends on how much you're into points vs. controlling your computer's output.

black_civic55
04-17-2005, 06:54 PM
i get ya but i've read that pretty much Intels are good on math projects. We're ranked high i think in every math project. I also like science projects more. But right now yes we are all over the place and need some organizing. Even myself i was helping with eon and their problems and now im testing some BOINC.