PDA

View Full Version : Thread priority problem

jasong
04-20-2005, 10:33 PM
If any of you run Eon, you know that it spends some time waiting for work. The amount of time is variable and, depending on status of the server, could be anywhere from about 30 seconds an hour up to what many DCers would think of as unacceptable amounts of downtime.

Because of this, I ATTEMPTED to use RieselSieve to take up the slack whenever Eon wasn't processing work. unfortunately, RieselSieve doesn't seem to care what Priority it's at, since it dominates Eon even if Eon is at BelowNormal and RieselSieve is at Low.

Can anybody come up with a way to solve this problem?

Scoofy12
04-21-2005, 01:23 PM
try setting ReiselSeive to idle?

jasong
04-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Scoofy12
try setting ReiselSeive to idle? I'm not sure if you've misread my message or not, so I'll ask a question.

Are you talking about the setting within a setting? In other words, in the thread setting, are you saying go beyond Task Manager's 6 choices into the more specific, like making sure it's at IDLE:IDLE ?

If so, how do I do that?

CaptainMooseInc
04-21-2005, 05:35 PM
RieselSieve should be set to idle...set eOn to idle...

Windows should handle it from there.

SoB and RieselSieve are very nice together (they share equally at 50/50) so I don't see why there would be a problem w/ eOn not sharing 50/50. If eOn is going more than that then you need to yell at graeme at have him set the client to idle.....

I don't think any DC project comes with anything higher than idle priority so your computer must just be dumb....

That happens with Intels... :p

-Jeff

jasong
04-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by CaptainMooseInc
RieselSieve should be set to idle...set eOn to idle...

Windows should handle it from there.

SoB and RieselSieve are very nice together (they share equally at 50/50) so I don't see why there would be a problem w/ eOn not sharing 50/50. If eOn is going more than that then you need to yell at graeme at have him set the client to idle.....

I don't think any DC project comes with anything higher than idle priority so your computer must just be dumb....

That happens with Intels... :p

-Jeff *SIGH* Time wasted because of the necessity of explaining(btw, absolutely NO offense was intended by this remark.)

Okay, I'll attempt to explain. I only want Sieving to happen when Eon is between work-units, if Eon wants every spare cycle, I want it to get every spare cycle. I want Eon to rudely shove RieselSieve out of the way when it finally obtains it's next work-unit.

On the other hand, when Eon is twiddling it's thumbs for whatever reason, I want RieselSieve to step up to bat for whatever amount of time Eon is idle, whether it be part of a second or many minutes.

Summary: I want Eon to have whatever extra cycles it wants and in it's down time RieselSieve gets the extra cycles.

Scoofy12
04-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Yes, there is a priority called idle (i'm 90% sure. i dont have a windows machine available to me at the moment to check, but i'm pretty sure) and i'm pretty sure you can set it in the task manager. youre saying task manager doesnt give you this as one of the options? what version of windows?
just setting reselseive to that and eon to low should do what you want.

jasong
04-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Scoofy12
Yes, there is a priority called idle (i'm 90% sure. i dont have a windows machine available to me at the moment to check, but i'm pretty sure) and i'm pretty sure you can set it in the task manager. youre saying task manager doesnt give you this as one of the options? what version of windows?
just setting reselseive to that and eon to low should do what you want. This seems to be an incredibly active topic :)

Task Manager gives six choices, but it's possible to be more specific within those choices if you don't limit yourself to Task Manager, like I do. IDLE:NORMAL is higher than IDLE:LOWEST which is higher than IDLE:IDLE. Basically, you can use each word a second time, which amounts to(because of the way it's ACTUALLY handled) about 29-30 separate settings.

CaptainMooseInc
04-21-2005, 06:13 PM
To the best of my knowledge there is absolutely NO WAY for you to get eOn to push RieselSieve out of the way.

That would require a program that interacted with both.

The only TRUE way to get it to work (WHICH I DO NOT SUGGEST and it may not work 100% the way you want it to) is to set the eOn program to priority HIGHEST/Real-Time and set RieselSieve to Idle priority. This, theoretically, should allow eOn to eat your computer alive and then when it's had its fill and isn't doing anything then RieselSieve will jump until that program takes on another meal. RieselSieve will always do a LITTLE bit of work in the background, you can't make it not do any unless you babysit it and turn it off and on and such.

I do not recommend the HIGHEST priority setting unless you (and no one else) are not going to be using the computer. If you want to use the computer and simultaneously allow eOn to use CPU cycles and then when it's quiet have RieselSieve use more CPU cycles.......it won't happen.

Sorry but that's how it is...

-Jeff

Twiztid Truckie
04-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Jeff. empty your pm box :)

CaptainMooseInc
04-21-2005, 09:16 PM
It's emptied again. Also, I have this DISC now! It'll be going out in Friday's mail (tomorrow) after around 1PM. Expect it on Monday, maybe Tuesday at the latest.

You have to use that regkey and register online within 30 days of installing or else the OS won't work anymore.

-Jeff

IronBits
04-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I have never tried it, but, here it is.

SetPriority v0.2 by: Jeff Gilchrist
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/

Usage: setpriority [-g] [-p#] [-t#] [-lowest] <PID>

-g : get process information only then exit
-h : this help screen
-p# : where # is new process priority class (default: 64 [IDLE])
-t# : where # is new thread priority (default: -15 [Lowest])
-lowest : sets lowest possible priority

Example: setpriority -p32 -t-2 342
setpriority -lowest 342
setpriority -g 342

Process Thread
------- ------
RealTime : 256 15
High : 128 2
AboveNormal: 32768 1
Normal : 32 0
BelowNormal: 16384 -1
Idle : 64 -2
Lowest : N/A -15

jasong
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
thanks for the program Ironbits. I checked out the program's website, and since I was there anyway, that's where I downloaded it.

I'm still learning how to use it, but check this out. I set the Priority and Thread settings to the lowest possible and discovered that Eon quit doing anything. Luckily, my ADD kicked in and I left the computer, because when I got back the CPU usage was back to 100%. Apparently, there's some sort of "effect" I'm not familiar with. I'll have to experiment to see exactly what's going on, but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of delay when you change settings. Also, I think the Priority and Thread settings need to be set simultaneously, which is kind of annoying when you just want to tweak them a little.

I'll get back to this thread when I learn a little more about the program.

jasong
04-22-2005, 06:30 PM
I have no idea how much of the last three hours was given to this problem, but it is DEFINITELY solved. The only problem, if you can call it that, is the fact that the PID schema for determining settings means I have no idea how to automate the task to happen on Startup, which is very mildly frustrating.

Oh, well...But, thanks again IronBits, I really appreciate the help. I'm considering contacting the guy and asking him if he accepts Paypal donations. I don't know how hard the program was for him to do, but I think the fact the program exists at all is awesome!!!

IronBits
04-22-2005, 08:17 PM
You didn't say what OS you are using... assuming windows...
tlist or tasklist will give you the PID, just write a quck batchfile / script
more info here
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/Utilities/TlisttasklistPUlistlistsactivetasksandprocesses.html

jasong
04-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
You didn't say what OS you are using... assuming windows...
tlist or tasklist will give you the PID, just write a quck batchfile / script
more info here
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/Utilities/TlisttasklistPUlistlistsactivetasksandprocesses.html I'll check it out, just not right now.

I was so eager to get things working, I went through caffeine withdrawal. For some reason, that helps me concentrate to the extreme. Hmmmmmmmm, if only I could come up with something other than sugary and caffienated beverages to drink, I'll have to do some experimenting at WalMart with their drinks. I need SOMETHING for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to latch onto.

IronBits
04-23-2005, 03:12 PM
water is your friend. :-)

Scoofy12
04-23-2005, 03:21 PM
i switched from soda to apple juice a while back when I decided I was drinking way too much, still has some sugar, but much better for you. also more expensive, but worth it. Since I moved to the frozen north (maybe Indiana isn't so cold for some of you, but try moving from the south), i've been drinking a lot of tea, which I really like.

although right now is "that time of the semester" and i've been on mostly coffee lately...