PDA

View Full Version : 4/30 Give A Way

LAURENU2
04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
:idea: Sign in for the 4/30 Give A Way if you have less then 5 PCs running DC
:umm: Details to follow:cheers:

Twiztid Truckie
04-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Sign Me Up Lauren! Thanks :) I appreciate everything your doing for us fellow teammates! Your a good guy :)

Thanks!
Brian:)

CaptainMooseInc
04-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Me me me me me me me!!! (You should also make it so the previous winner has to sit out at least 1 giveaway afterwards).

CaptainMooseInc :Pokes: Scoofy12 :jester:

I am about to lose my dad's laptop today so that takes me down to my Sempron and my Celeron desktop.

-Jeff

meep
04-24-2005, 01:46 PM
I'll be in on that, all good fun :)

birdman2584
04-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Sign me up! Thankyou for all that you are doing!:notworthy

[DPC]Frentik
04-24-2005, 02:05 PM
I have only my XP2600+ :( can I participate? If I win I'll put it on SoB, I promise ;)

PY 222
04-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by [DPC]Frentik
I have only my XP2600+ :( can I participate? If I win I'll put it on SoB, I promise ;)

Sure. If you win, you'll have to pay for the hardware. How about that? :harhar:

LAURENU2
04-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by CaptainMooseInc
(You should also make it so the previous winner has to sit out at least 1 giveaway afterwards).

CaptainMooseInc :Pokes: Scoofy12 :jester:

-Jeff
That was all ready stated in the last thread http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=83624#post83624post83624
That Scoofy12 is excluded from the drawings
One win to a member

I noticed we have had 3 new members from the time I announced the Give A Way
I wonder it the Give A Way is atracting members here. Any body have any thoughts

birdman2584
04-24-2005, 03:06 PM
i would say that there is a large possibility that this is attracting new members. For one, it shows that the team is live and active, and also that there are extremely generous people here like you. Keep up the good work :thumbs:

jasong
04-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Count me in. By the way, I use XP Pro, so am I going to have to "start over?" It says one operating system per computer, but what the heck's their definition of computer?

I seem to remember something about a 10 computer network, but I'm not sure I have the right Windows program.

Anyone know?

IronBits
04-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by jasong
Count me in. By the way, I use XP Pro, so am I going to have to "start over?" It says one operating system per computer, but what the heck's their definition of computer?
Anyone know? One computer is one computer. ya know, that thing with a monitor connected to it? has a power supply, video card, hard drive...
One computer, One license.

jasong
04-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Stupid server won't let me edit my post, now I look like a moron and I can't delete it. Better quit while I'm ahead.

Edit: Ack, it disappeared, apparently it's either merciful or has a sense of humor.

jasong
04-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
One computer is one computer. ya know, that thing with a monitor connected to it? has a power supply, video card, hard drive...
One computer, One license. What about one video card, one hard drive, a whole lotta RAM, and as many cpus as possible. That's what I meant when I asked.

LAURENU2
04-24-2005, 09:47 PM
what no gold plating:rotfl: :crazy: :jester:

rsbriggs
04-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Only if they all reside on a single motherboard, or cards attached to a single MOBO.

Ya got 8 cards with 8 CPUs each all plugged into a single MOBO, fine - that's one computer .

Hmmm. I want one of those. It's a funny thing - kind of like smelling Chinese food and getting hungry.

IronBits
04-24-2005, 10:46 PM
XP Pro only supports 2 procs I believe. :cry:

Need FREE Linux to get good SMP support ;)

rsbriggs
04-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Well, if anyone is interested, and Lauren doesn't object, I might just add on to Laurens give-away.

I'm going to upgrade one of my older AMD machines, which means that I'll be pulling the board out of the case and replacing it. I'll be re-using the video card, but not the motherboard, CPU, HSF, or 512Mb memory that is on it. (I think the board is a AMD 1400+).

I was thinking that, if there was any interest, I might just send it off as a "freebie" to one of the people that don't win in the next drawing. You'd have to add a power supply, video card, hard drive, and operating system. (And case if you prefer that sort of thing.)

Overall it's not as nice as what Lauren is giving away, but it's been a steady performer for me for the last couple of years, and has never had a single problem.

And.... It would be free and wouldn't affect your standing in any future drawings Lauren is having (unless it happened to put you over the 5 CPU limit....).

Comments ????

LAURENU2
04-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Thats What I love about the members of Free-DC They come together to help eachother whithout even been asked to.:thumbs:
With team work like this there is nothing that can stop us from hitting any goal we set:thumbs:

IronBits
04-25-2005, 02:56 AM
That's great news!
I'll also jump in and give a hand - I hate shipping things anyways...

PS2pcGAMER will be dropping by this coming week-end to pick up two systems :)
plus several computer cases, spare pieces parts and cables...
Maybe he'll want that 21" viewsonic that has a dead PS and fix it :)
:drink:

PS2pcGAMER
04-25-2005, 03:11 AM
That's great news!
I'll also jump in and give a hand - I hate shipping things anyways...

ps2gamer will be dropping by this coming week-end to pick up two systems :)
plus several computer cases, spare pieces parts and cables...
Maybe he'll want that 21" viewsonic that has a dead PS and fix it :)
:drink:

Yeah, I look forward in seeing what I am able to put together.

I am up for the monitor as I don't currently have one to test out those machines until I am able to borrow one from my parents or friends.

IronBits
04-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Excellent!!! Then you will want that other 15" monitor that works. :jester:
You should be able to have three systems running by night fall, if you have HDDs :)

PS2pcGAMER
04-25-2005, 03:26 AM
Excellent!!! Then you will want that other 15" monitor that works. :jester:
You should be able to have three systems running by night fall, if you have HDDs :)

Sweet, a 15" will work well for the dorms. You are the man IB. I'll have to work on hard drives, but I might just dig out some CD-Rom drives and boot knoppix until I can get hard drives.

We are kind of taking over LAURENU2's topic, sorry about that.

LAURENU2
04-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Thats OK things are more fun when you have your buddys along

Bok
04-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Well,

I might as well get involved. I'm shutting down my PC's running at the office today (it's closing and I'm working from home/Boston). Production on FAD will decrease a little as I'm not going to be able to run them all at home so I'll give a few away.

The lowest is a Tbird 1.4, the others are XP1700/2000/2100 or so, full systems sans HD.

Some are already allocated. I'm not sure I'll get organized enough for this weekend, but perhaps the weekend after :)

Bok

CaptainMooseInc
04-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I want in on that too Bok!

-Jeff

PY 222
04-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, why don't we organize this so we can group together stuff that we would want to provide for the weekly "GiveAWay".

I too have stuff that I have no more use for and would be more than happy to provide for my fellow teammates.

n7vxj
04-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Bok, I could use that xp1700 if you part with it!!I just ordered a refurb Shuttle an35n from Newegg this weekend, and need a good cpu for it, when it gets here.Those suckers o.c. nicely in the an35n.I already have an an35n w/ xp1700 running at 2.3 gig on air!!

Twiztid Truckie
04-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Awesome guys. Thank you Bok, Lauren and everyone for being so generous! It is highly appreciated by us smaller guys. Man, this place is sooooo much better than that other place :) Anyway, Thanks again!

LAURENU2
04-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Man, this place is sooooo much better than that other place
That made me laugh But when I saw this post in the FAD XPC forum today

sharder8 Hey!!!! Where'd everyone go???

I felt like posting back They all joined Free-DC. :rotfl: :harhar: :rotfl:

But then I thought if I did I would be sinking to there standard . so I did not post it

It looks like we are going to have to setup a Give A Way committee just to handle
All the good will that I pouring in

And should we turn this into a game or just keep it as a drawing

Twiztid Truckie
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
I like the drawings better than games as everyone has a fair chance. Plus, its much easier on my mind, since mine is so small, and already worked harder than it can handle. :)

rsbriggs
04-25-2005, 10:29 PM
I think I've changed my mind slightly on my give-away.

Instead of just parts, I'll think I'll just swap out the hard drive for a blank one (maybe install Linux on it so it can boot up and run immediately when it arrives), and ship it off case-and-all. Perhaps I'll get a new case in black - instead of the Mac Blue like this one...

Anyway, I don't remember exactly what the machine has in it, Geforce-4 Video card and SoundBlaster Live! Platinum or something along those lines (it used to be my main game box).

Yum... Cases.... ThermalTake Shark... CoolerMaster CM...

Bok
04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by n7vxj
Bok, I could use that xp1700 if you part with it!!I just ordered a refurb Shuttle an35n from Newegg this weekend, and need a good cpu for it, when it gets here.Those suckers o.c. nicely in the an35n.I already have an an35n w/ xp1700 running at 2.3 gig on air!!

It's yours, but I'll need a while to get everything sorted out. Got 8 PC's sitting in my garage now... not switch on or hooked up :(

And still got my dual AMD MP2400 running at work which will be moved back tomorrow. Need to sneak a few or 6 into the spare bedroom in the next few days :p

That would then make it 35procs at home though....of course my 2 year old son needs a PC now... I think a dual xeon is in order right ?

Bok :rotfl:

CaptainMooseInc
04-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Your son needs a dual dual core computer. :)

Quad Xeon...c'mon...those Tonka games are EXTREMELY CPU INTENSIVE...

P.S. I WANT MORE COMPUTERS!!! I don't care about power bills! I just wanna fly for the team on FaD and SoB!!! Plus that's even more DIMES clients!!!!

-Jeff

n7vxj
04-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Lauren, personally I prefer the drawings.It's easier on you that way, as well.

@Bok Thanks Bud!!! That xp1700 will help me put another strong cruncher on line for FaD!!:cheers:

jasong
04-26-2005, 04:47 PM
All this stuff being given away is amazing.

Kind of makes me wonder if I should give away my Playstation Portable. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe not, but I'll trade it for $200-$225 worth of crunchtastic hardware. And I'll reduce the request by $25 if someone chips in as a Linux support hotline.

PCZ
04-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Got 8 PC's sitting in my garage now... not switch on or hooked up

:spank:

LAURENU2
04-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
:spank:
8 is not Bad I got about 40 stacked up in my garage waiting for expanded space

We all do what we can

Bok
04-26-2005, 05:16 PM
3 hooked up :p

And my new dual xeon is running... only at 2x2.7 though, it will NOT boot at 200FSB for some reason. Tried everything! So it's running at 16x165 (no options for anything between 165 and 200) :(

Installing Gentoo on it now...........

Bok

TeeJay
04-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Bok
3 hooked up :p

And my new dual xeon is running... only at 2x2.7 though, it will NOT boot at 200FSB for some reason. Tried everything! So it's running at 16x165 (no options for anything between 165 and 200) :(

Installing Gentoo on it now...........

Bok

I also could not get these 2.0's to boot at 200fsb.
Stuck with 20 x 155.
This is with the 2 wire mod on each cpu, not the 3 wire mod.

>>TeeJay

Bok
04-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm only using 1.6's in this board, though I could try the 2.0's.. They have multipliers up to 20?

At first I had the u-wire mod done (all 3) but as part of my fault finding I removed it all. This is running on stock voltage :)

:cheers:

Bok

TeeJay
04-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Bok
I'm only using 1.6's in this board, though I could try the 2.0's.. They have multipliers up to 20?

At first I had the u-wire mod done (all 3) but as part of my fault finding I removed it all. This is running on stock voltage :)

Bok

Bok, stock settings is 20 x 100 = 2.0

Your 1.6 stock settings is 16 x 100 = 1.6

Not sure adding the third wire would help anyway.
I don't think the extra .1v would make that much of a diff...

At 3.2 the computer would reboot itself. (20 x 160)
At 3.1, all is fine. Around 104 deg. at the cpu's...

Took off the stock hsf and put on a 40cfm howler. :-)
I installed the stock hsf upside down at first. :doh!

LAURENU2
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
OK a drawing it is again BOK will you do the honor again of picking the number
Or should I recruit a different number picker

The prize is the same but rsbriggs is also offering a complete system to be given as a secondary prize :thumbs:
So we have 2 systems for this weeks Give A Way

I will post the list of the people signed in for it later
Any body else that want to sign in do so before Friday

Bok
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Sure I can do it again, do you want me to pick two numbers in that case ?

Bok

LAURENU2
04-27-2005, 12:42 PM
so far YES 2 number picks for this one

Thanks Bok:thumbs:

PY 222
04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Wow... this deserves frontpage pimpage.

Great job you guys.

rsbriggs
04-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by PY 222
Wow... this deserves frontpage pimpage.

Great job you guys.

We have a front page ?????

PY 222
04-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
We have a front page ?????

LOL. Although it hasn't been updated for a while, its still a frontpage for the Team.

Bok
04-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I'll give it a go. I've got frontpage posting rights but have never actually tried it.. :)

Bok

LAURENU2
04-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Yes last updated in 01/05

http://www.free-dc.org/

n7vxj
04-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Hey Lauren!! I just wanted to make sure I'm still signed up for it!!:jester:

LAURENU2
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey Lauren!! I just wanted to make sure I'm still signed up for it!!:jester:
Well if you wern't you are now
Any Free-DC member That has less the 5 PC's Jus post here in this thread that tou want a chance to play and you will be added to the list.

I will post that list here Friday for you all to check

And again Bok and I will make our pick on 5/30/05 at 6:PM cst ( chicago time)

Scootenalongnow
04-28-2005, 01:34 AM
I would like to sign up too as I am only running 2 boxes now but due to me being unable to run another box at the moment :( if I win I would like to donate it back to the team to be run by anyone Laurenu2 chooses to run it as a node. Any initial costs incurred will be paid for by me but, the person running it or the team assumes the rest. If this is not feasable disregared this post otherwise consider this a donation. :)

It could be passed around to anyone who would like to donate to the team or it could be raffled again.

Moogie
04-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Is it too late for me to sign up?

:)

LAURENU2
04-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Moogie & Scootenalongnow

Yes All will be added I will post the list that I see Friday for all to check:bouncy:

LAURENU2
04-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Here is the list of members I have so far== Please post if I missed you:bang:

1st Give A Way (2400 system)

Twiztid Truckie

CaptainMooseInc

meep

birdman2584

n7vxj

Scootenalongnow

Moogie

jasong ?? not a member yet ?? :bonk: :sniper:

2nd Give A Way

Scoofy12

Twiztid Truckie

CaptainMooseInc

meep

birdman2584

n7vxj

Scootenalongnow

Moogie

jasong ?? not a member yet ?? :bonk: :sniper:

PY 222
04-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Jasong, come on and hurry up with the move or else you'll miss out on this giveaway. :Pokes:

Good luck to all you folk. May the luckiest man/woman wins.

Twiztid Truckie
04-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey, Scoofy already one. Isnt the rules stating that one win per member? Im not trying to be rude or mean but I thought I saw this on the first page of this thread. I think it would be fair to the rest of us if he was excluded, atleast for this drawing?

That was all ready stated in the last thread http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showth...t83624post83624 That Scoofy12 is excluded from the drawings
One win to a member

Brian

PS: Thanks agian for allow me to be part of the drawing Lauren and crew. I appreciate it alot!

Bok
04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
He's excluded from the first draw....(Lauren's)

the second is from rsbriggs to which he's entitled to be in.

I *think* !!!!

Bok

Twiztid Truckie
04-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Cool beans. thats fair enough. wasnt sure what was going on there :)

Brian

em99010pepe
04-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by LAURENU2

Could you add my name?
Thanks,

Carlos

rsbriggs
04-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Yeah - he qualifies for the 1400+ system - this is a separate give away, and not limited in any particular manner, and the winner isn't disqualified from anything involving Laurens future giveway...

I just want it to go to someone that might get some use out of it and that would appreciate an older but still quite serviceable system with better than average video and sound cards in it.

Oh, did I mention that I wan't planning on a situation where this would have to be shipped internationally? Guess it's US only....

redukt
04-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Is it too late to sign up? I currently have three machines running FAD...

LAURENU2
04-29-2005, 03:05 PM
OK Added
em99010pepe

redukt
:drums:

jasong
04-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by LAURENU2

[B]jasong ?? not a member yet ?? :bonk: :sniper: Please include me in the drawing anyway. I have a commitment to RieselSieve that will be fulfilled very early Saturday morning, at which point FaD will then immediately go to full throttle because of priority settings. I think you'll suddenly discover about a 700,000 point jump in production in a couple days.

2 comments

(1) I'm committed to the project at least until my total production reaches 1,000,000, and

(2) If I win a processor, you can bet I'll show a strong preference for FaD for that processor.

I'll respect any decision made, though.

rsbriggs
04-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Aren't you a member of XPC, not Free-DC, in Find-a-Drug?

n7vxj
04-30-2005, 01:58 AM
According to Wo0's stats, He's still a member of XPC, at 63rd place on there Team.

LAURENU2
04-30-2005, 03:08 AM
What am I going to do with you jasong
You sneaked in to the last contest almost 2 weeks ago when you knew it was only for Free-DC members
And now your back wishing to play again
I your planing on joining Free-DC just because of this drawing, You should rethink your motives

You have had more then enough time to put your self where you want to be at,
and you are still at XPC

What say the membership? Should we let jasong Play again on his word that he is a Free-DC'er?

PY 222
04-30-2005, 04:07 AM
I'd say that we should give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he'll honor his words.

But of course, the decision rest upon you and rsbriggs since you guys are donating the systems.

CaptainMooseInc
04-30-2005, 04:21 AM
Well.....as to not anger the many...I would like to see that -any- considered contestants be a member of Free-DC and be that way for at least a certain amount of time or bring a certain "payload" to the team via transferring to Free-DC. There is always risk involved that anyone could win the processor and run back to another team....

Let's hope that the person who wins the processor at least sticks around on the Free-DC team (or makes the one PARTICULAR node its own username for the Free-DC team).

I could see jasong staying on XPC and then winning a node and making that node be like jasong-FDC and run it on the Free-DC team...

Kinda like Beyond. :)

-Jeff

rsbriggs
04-30-2005, 05:45 AM
I think that it was pretty clear that Laurens drawing was for FreeDC members crunching on FaD. So far as I can tell, it is now 04/30, and Jasong is a member of the XPC FaD team - and to me that means he doesn't qualify for MY giveaway

I think Lauren needs to state that people need to have been FreeDC'ers for a minimum of a week or two before being elgible, otherwise you'll have people switching over on a Friday, winning something on a Saturday, and switching back out on Monday after it's in the mail.

Simple change like "you must have been on the Free-DC team since at least the Saturday the WEEK BEFORE before you are qualified."

Oh, and let's not forget the less than 5 CPUs rule, here too. If you have to have the exact definition of what a CPU is spelled out for you, then you're probably trying to bend the rules, and you probably don't qualify. Quibbeling about what a machine is for the purposes of license-ing Windows is one thing, but a CPU shouldn't be too difficult to figure out...

(Except if they're multi-core? If you can afford to be running any of those, you don't need to be in the drawing, either....)

n7vxj
04-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Personally, I don't feel He should be in the contest.He sneaked in to the last contest knowing it was for Free-DC Members, and He wasn't a member.To ME that deception within itself disqualifies Him.I also believe Moose is right.There should also be a rule that anyone in the contest has been crunching for the Team several weeks before they are allowed to enter the contest.This is MY 2 cents worth!!

IronBits
04-30-2005, 10:05 AM
It's not my money, but if you don't mind, here's my take... ;)

Give-a-ways are for Free-DC members with less than 5 computers (as I understand it)

It's not concrete that said winners will stay with Free-DC and there is no control.

Said donors should already be aware of this...

New Free-DC members coming over to win a computer and then going back to where they came from seems to be a concern.

Winners can take their booty and do as they please, there are no enforcable restrictions.

It would be nice if new members would stick around, and probably will, at least in the short term.

If it is being done for the betterment of DC overall, then there is no problem.

If it is being done to boost production of Free-DC, then once in awhile we might get disappointed...

To give better odds that recipients might stick around, maybe a 30 day membership with visible stats, in any project of their choice, should be required.

Of course, what about folks that don't have a computer of their own and would like to join in on the DC arena (so they say) ...

I know when I have given away computers or parts and pieces, I had hoped they will help the team, but, I have been disappointed in the past, and have just chocked it up to 'at least it's helping out in the DC arena someplace' and let it go...

Same for the folks I sold stuff to and never got paid, shit happens, more important things in life to worry about... at least I know they crunch :)

It's not my place to say what someone should do with their money or parts and pieces, so I will butt out here.

Sorry for my long rambling thoughts :crazy:

:cheers: to all donors! :D

PCZ
04-30-2005, 10:21 AM
I agree with IB you can't guarantee that any of the giveaways will stay crunching for
Free-DC.

Getting back to jasong he is just taking the ****.
I'm sure he has no intention of changing teams and should be excluded.

rsbriggs
04-30-2005, 10:26 AM
On the other hand, there are members, like Moogie, that have been around and loyal FreeDC'ers for a long time. I don't have worries that she would disappear off to XPC the next day if she won a computer.....

While I understand that there aren't any guarantees, someone with a proven track record seems like a better cantidate than someone that doesn't have one, or who just outright crunches for another team.

Jasong doesn't meet the requirements, in my book - he is actively crunching for XPC. I can't interpret his actions as anything other than someone from another team just looking for free handouts from Free-DC. Having posting privileges on the FreeDC board doesn't automatically make you a member of the FreeDC team. Investing long periods of time, cpu cycles, and points in a project for the team and as part of the team, does.

I'm not so interested in donating for the "good of distributed computing" - I'm becoming more and more skeptical about how useful ANY of the work we do actually is. (Of course, having said that, If the LHC@BOINC project opened up for general membership, I'd be there like a shot.)

I'm much more interested in seeing a fellow team member, who could put something to use receive it. Don't have much interest in funding the competition...

LAURENU2
04-30-2005, 11:01 AM
jasong I must side with the team on this
You are not a Free-DC member So you are not entitled to be entered in this drawing

Bok you have 2 number picks this week

1st round is 1 to 10
2nd round is 1 to 11

Post your picks here at 6:00 pm Cst 7:00 pm your time I believe
=======================================
1st round

Twiztid Truckie

CaptainMooseInc

meep

birdman2584

n7vxj

Scootenalongnow

Moogie

em99010pepe

redukt

Julian Ellis
======================================
2nd round

Twiztid Truckie

CaptainMooseInc

meep

birdman2584

n7vxj

Scootenalongnow

Moogie

em99010pepe

redukt

Julian Ellis

Scoofy12

Updated with Julian Ellis

Julian Ellis
04-30-2005, 11:04 AM
:cheers: I'm up for that I only have 1 computer and would like to be able to crunch more WU's for the projects I'm involved in.

I only joined this site today and I have to say I think giving away the ability to do more work is a great idea

LAURENU2
04-30-2005, 11:18 AM
ok
Julian Ellis I added you to the list

IronBits
04-30-2005, 11:25 AM
You shipping outside the US to? :notworthy
Julian Ellis - Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, UK

meep
04-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Blimey, all that took some reading... :)

Not classing myself as a proper member yet I do not wish to comment on the do's and dont's for these giveaway draws. However, I do feel personally, and this is no way to set a precendent for others, that I have not been kicking about here long enough to fairly take part.

I am new to both DC and Free-DC and so would like to jump out of this draw and any future ones for the time being. I am also in the UK so would not want to cause any hassle or inconvenience in trying to ship stuff all the way over here.

One last thing, Laurenu2 deserves a big pat on the back for his generosity... :cheers:

Bok
04-30-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm only doing the numbers, so I can't say too much, but as far as I'm concerned meep, you've shown in the short time you've been with us to be a perfect example of a great member of Free-DC!

Bok :D

meep
04-30-2005, 12:19 PM
:blush: oooh bok don't, im all embarrassed now :)

I will stick with my last post tho for the time being. See how it goes...

rsbriggs
04-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Ummm. While I'm prepared to eat the $35 it will cost to ship this to US locations, I'm not terribly prepared to eat the $175 it would cost to ship internationally.....

I don't know about Lauren, but I have to specify US only on this one.. In fact, I did earlier....

PCZ
04-30-2005, 12:38 PM
If a UK member wins the draw I will make sure they are not dissapointed.

rsbriggs
04-30-2005, 12:49 PM
OK PCZ, we'll work something out - let's see what happens....

LAURENU2
04-30-2005, 02:20 PM
No body needs to feel they should drop out of round 1 if they live outside the US
In the past when a winner lived out side the US I would send the cash equivalent
to the prize in a PayPal or a check in the mail and the winner would just get his parts locally

This is fair to all party's

em99010pepe
04-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Lauren

Could you please remove my nick.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

Bok
04-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Julian Ellis
:cheers: I'm up for that I only have 1 computer and would like to be able to crunch more WU's for the projects I'm involved in.

I only joined this site today and I have to say I think giving away the ability to do more work is a great idea

Julian, are you actually on any of the Free-DC teams ????

I only say because I was looking at the Dimes stats and noticed you just joined the BoincSynergy team today in fact!!

This is for Free-DC team members..

Bok

jasong
04-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Personally, I don't feel He should be in the contest.He sneaked in to the last contest knowing it was for Free-DC Members, and He wasn't a member. I'll respect any decision made, but to be honest, I was surprised when I found out I was still on XPC.

Even though I've never crunched Free-DC FaD, I've spent a fairly significant amount of time as a Free-DC member(3-4 months).

If it matters at all, there is a CJD project running that should and would be at about 12 hours, but I messed up when I rebooted my computer, so it's more like 3.5.

I'll respect any decision made, but I do intend to crunch FaD, atleast until I reach 1,000,000 points, at which point I'll probably switch projects, but not teams.

jasong
04-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Jasong doesn't meet the requirements, in my book - he is actively crunching for XPC. I'm a little annoyed at this part of rsbriggs post. I haven't crunched FaD since the end of January for any team, unless someone else crunched under my name.

Whether I'm included in the drawing or not, I'm going to crunch FaD until I reach a million points, at which point the million points will stay with Free-DC as I go to a different project, but not a different team.

I'm responding to these as I go along, so the decision might have been already made, but I'd appreciate it if people would state whether what they say is an opinion or a proven fact.

Edit: Okay, I've read through all the posts, and while it seems obvious this is a kangaroo court, I'll respect the wishes of the members. I've been here to long to give up on you guys because of one occurrence.

Twiztid Truckie
04-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Well in MY OPINION:

The rules posted on the first page clearly stated only active members of FREE-DC FAD can participate. So I would say that Jasong and Julian should be excluded atleast until the next drawing.

Brian

rsbriggs
04-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Jasong,

No - you are correct. You haven't been actively crunching for XPC on FaD - and I will admit that it was my mistake - I see that you haven't been active over there for over a month. But by the same token, I don't see you as a member of the Free-DC FaD team, either, unless I've missed it.

Please remind me what projects you participate in as part of Free-DC - I'm certainly willing to change my call on your inclusion in my part of the drawing, and to see a team mate get a little extra equipment.... (Not that what I'm giving away is all that great, just stable and serviceable.)

Bok
04-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, in jasong's defense, he admitted he wasn't crunching in FaD and intended to swap his points over to Free-DC, so it wasn't like anything was being hidden or obscured.

TT is right in what LAUREN posted orignally though, his giveaway is for active members of Free-DC FaD team.

Bok

n7vxj
04-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Personally, I don't feel He should be in the contest.He sneaked in to the last contest knowing it was for Free-DC Members, and He wasn't a member

I should have been more clear on this by saying,'Free-DC FaD Team Members,however, as has been said,Lauren stated all Entrants had to crunching FaD for Free-dc.Jason, it would be a lot simplier just to crunch FaD for the Team long enough to move your points to Free-DC from XPC, and then go back to what your running until you're done with that project, and are ready to return to FaD for the Team. And no Jason, I'm not a member of any Kangaroo court, I just want everything to fair to everyone involved, whether I win, or not!!!

jasong
04-30-2005, 06:58 PM
[B]Jasong,

No - you are correct. You haven't been actively crunching for XPC on FaD - and I will admit that it was my mistake - I see that you haven't been active over there for over a month. But by the same token, I don't see you as a member of the Free-DC FaD team, either, unless I've missed it.

Please remind me what projects you participate in as part of Free-DC - I'm certainly willing to change my call on your inclusion in my part of the drawing, and to see a team mate get a little extra equipment.... (Not that what I'm giving away is all that great, just stable and serviceable.) ]

DIMES(something went screwy with my Java setup, so it isn't working]
RieselSieve(It's either Free-DC or nobody, and I can remedy it if needed]
Eon
Chessbrain
RC5-72
various BOINC

With Eon and Chessbrain, it's either Free-DC or my forgetfulness translating to no team at all. Also, I only have one computer and jump around a lot, so it's not a big contribution, since I'm poor in terms of spending money, if not living conditions. Living with your parents has it's perks.

Twiztid Truckie
04-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey BOK, wheres da winning numbers? Eager minds want to know!

Brian :)

rsbriggs
04-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Living with your parents has it's perks.

It's been a long time for me (haven't lived at home since 14) , but I seem to recall that the disadvantages FAR outweighed the advantages.... :D

So far as I am concerned, you are go for inclusion in my giveaway....

All of this fuss probably amounts to far more than the computer I'm giving away is worth....

===bob briggs

Bok
04-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Twiztid Truckie
Hey BOK, wheres da winning numbers? Eager minds want to know!

Brian :)

Numbers posted at 7.06pm, your post at 7.09pm :Pokes: :harhar: :neener:

Bok :crazy:

n7vxj
04-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Truckie, go to the lounge!!! You might be pleasantly surprised!!!!:elephant: :drums: :bouncy:

PY 222
04-30-2005, 07:28 PM
We've got two winners (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9094).

Congrats to everyone that participated and enormous thanks to the generosity of the donors.

Twiztid Truckie
04-30-2005, 08:23 PM
LOL @ BOK. I see that buddy. I posted then went inside for supper. Came back to my computer afterwards to find I won and was like.... WOW?!?!?! I couldnt believe my eyes, and then I said to myself, "Im an idiot. I shoulda checked before supper"

LOL!!!!

Thank You Everyone!

Bok
04-30-2005, 08:49 PM
:rotfl:

Congrats to both TT and Scootenalongnow..

Bok :)

Scootenalongnow
04-30-2005, 09:12 PM
And the Team Wins!

Do your stuff Lauren, I'm paying for initial costs to get it where it needs to go. Ideas?

You tell me! I know you wanted to benefit a new cruncher with this stuff and you can still do that.

TeeJay
04-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Scootenalongnow
And the Team Wins!

Hey Scott, where in AZ ?

I am in Gilbert.

Glad to see a new face. :-)

>>TeeJay

Scootenalongnow
04-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by TeeJay
Hey Scott, where in AZ ?

I am in Gilbert.

Glad to see a new face. :-)

>>TeeJay

I'll put it this way, we are very close neighbors. Lindsey and Southern--yup, very close indeed.

TeeJay
04-30-2005, 09:35 PM
I'll put it this way, we are very close neighbors. Lindsey and Southern--yup, very close indeed.

<lol>

Lindsey and Warner !

Scootenalongnow
04-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by TeeJay
<lol>

Lindsey and Warner !

It is definitely a small world after all.

IronBits
04-30-2005, 09:59 PM
I know where that is... ;)

We used to live about 1/4 mile from PIR !!! :D
TeeJay and I used to watch the races on horse back up on the hill behind it :jester:

Scootenalongnow
04-30-2005, 10:37 PM
I know where that is... ;)

We used to live about 1/4 mile from PIR !!! :D
TeeJay and I used to watch the races on horse back up on the hill behind it :jester:

I missed race weekend this year but I hear traffic was a real be-atch. Taking 2 hours to get into PIR and 2 hours to get out.

Can't think of any better place to live right now than Phoenix, but I'm still looking for my Nexus: just waiting for the thread to snag me. :jester:

LAURENU2
05-01-2005, 01:13 AM
I see we have some winners Sorry I had to go out to a party with the wife
I could not be here for the dead line

Scootenalongnow I guess we have to talk some more to set this up

Moogie
05-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Congrats to you both!!!

Bok
05-01-2005, 09:13 AM
I missed race weekend this year but I hear traffic was a real be-atch. Taking 2 hours to get into PIR and 2 hours to get out.

Can't think of any better place to live right now than Phoenix, but I'm still looking for my Nexus: just waiting for the thread to snag me. :jester:

I've spent a lot of time in the Tempe area (at the headquarters for AWA), cool place. Scottsdale is real nice too :p

In fact I might be heading over there is a couple of weeks, not sure right now..it'll only be for a day though.

Bok

Scootenalongnow
05-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Bok

In fact I might be heading over there is a couple of weeks, not sure right now..it'll only be for a day though.

Bok

That's too bad, the :fridge: is stocked and beer is cold and a nice firm guest bed too.
But that's your luck because I'd probably put you to work helping me optimize my home network. :trash: :jester:

LAURENU2
05-01-2005, 11:59 AM
optimize my home network.
Is that like cutting your Cat5 cables in 1/2 :jester: :rotfl:

Scootenalongnow
05-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Sorry to say but yes, if I were to do it. :(

pogueatl
05-13-2006, 07:40 PM
what is find a drug?

pogueatl
05-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Do I qualify for this? I have one computer running?

PY 222
05-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Do I qualify for this? I have one computer running?

Hello pogueatl, welcome to Free-DC.

Find-a-Drug was a Distributed Computing project that we were involved in. Unfortunately it is over already.