PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2003 as a local service?

Scootenalongnow
04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Is this possible?

I get required information through email at work and must keep outlook open at all times but it sometimes accidentally gets closed by some people :swear: which is dangerous for what I do so I would like to use the automatic restart capability of a windows service fix this problem. I asked on the helpline at work but they were dumbfounded. :confused:

Maybe there is a better way? Anyone had this come up before?

Bok
04-26-2005, 03:47 PM
hmmm,

I'm not a windows expert, but I would have thought anything could be installed as a started task using srvany.exe and instsrv.exe

I'm sure some of the windows admins here will chime up soon :)

Bok

Scootenalongnow
04-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Bok
hmmm,

I'm not a windows expert, but I would have thought anything could be installed as a started task using srvany.exe and instsrv.exe

I'm sure some of the windows admins here will chime up soon :)

Bok

You already know more than I do. Thanks I'll research those.

meep
04-26-2005, 05:24 PM
This idea may be a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but if you must keep Outlook running, creating a batch file which runs every "however often" that checks for the presence of outlook.exe, if found does nothing, if not found executes the process, would do the trick.

You can use the reskit tool tlist.exe to return either the PID (proving it is running) of Outlook.exe - or if it is not found, it will return -1, prompting your batch file to then execute Outlook.

You can keep your batch file re-running simply using the AT command, as frequently as you like.

I am not sure how well Outlook would run as a service, if at all....

Scootenalongnow
04-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by meep
This idea may be a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but if you must keep Outlook running, creating a batch file which runs every "however often" that checks for the presence of outlook.exe, if found does nothing, if not found executes the process, would do the trick.

You can use the reskit tool tlist.exe to return either the PID (proving it is running) of Outlook.exe - or if it is not found, it will return -1, prompting your batch file to then execute Outlook.

You can keep your batch file re-running simply using the AT command, as frequently as you like.

I am not sure how well Outlook would run as a service, if at all....

I've written a few basic DOS batch files in the past but without calling other files or programs but, if it is similar I may be able figure it out by myself once I relearn syntax. Thanks for the input.

Yes, I know I just dated myself so no razzing from the peanut gallery! :Pokes:

PCZ
04-26-2005, 06:45 PM
This should do the trick

OUTTRAY V2.05
OutTray minimizes Outlook and/or Outlook Express to your system tray instead of the task bar when you minimize them. OutTray can be customized to prevent Outlook and/or Outlook Express from being closed.

Download here (http://www.kellysoftware.com/assets/programs/OutTray.zip)

Scootenalongnow
04-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!

PCZ, I'll test Out Tray on my home system before installing at work.

The batch file meep suggested may be my only recourse if obtaining a license is a problem.

meep
04-27-2005, 03:18 AM
Ouklook 2003 minimises to the system tray already - its a built in feature.

When outlook is minimised, the program bar appears along with a sys tray icon - right click on the system tray icon and select 'hide when minimised'.

This does not stop it being closed, but takes a good step towards that.

IronBits
04-27-2005, 09:56 AM
create a batchfile that contains the lines
@echo off
start /min "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /recycle
exit

The recycle switch allows only one copy to be running
if it's not, it will start it
if it is, it won't do anything