PDA

View Full Version : No more PayPal for me....

rsbriggs
05-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, I'm dropping everything to do with PayPal, completely, as of this week.

They refuse to help me recover nearly $900 worth of money that I paid out for items that turned out to be fraudulent.

You see, PayPal has this funny little clause - so long as the seller has sent you ANYTHING, to include an EMPTY BOX, then they won't get involved, nor have anything to do with recovering your money.

Bought a big batch of Xeon LV processors. PayPal'ed the guy. He shipped me a box with one old Intel processor with mangled pins in it. PayPal will not intervene or allow me to file a claim - because the guy has proof that I received a box from him.

Basically, I'm just SOL for about $900, which completely blows my DC budget for the next 6 months.

If you use PayPal, or eBay, you might want to ask yourself, WHY?, exactly. From this point on, I'll pay a little more to buy new, retail stuff and avoid both the use of PayPal and buying stuff on eBay.

Believe me, it saves you money in the long run....

Bok
05-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Very sorry to hear this :(

Surely Ebay should get involved if you did not receive what was offered in the auction? Even the local police should be notified.

Bok

Scootenalongnow
05-04-2005, 11:41 AM
If the postal mail was used, file with the your local Post Master and also make a complaint with the your states Attorney General.

rsbriggs
05-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Unfortunately, eBay will not get involved if PayPal was used to make an auction payment - they refer you to PayPal to deal with it...

And, the eBay complaint resolution process is worthless, I have several claims that are 90+ days old now through them, and nothing has taken place on them yet.

Bok
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't Ebay own Paypal these days ??

meep
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Thats harsh, sorry to hear that :swear:

I believe ebay own paypal - so dealing with either results in the same problem... they both wash their hands of responsibility fairly swiftly.

This is maybe completely different elsewhere in the world, but in the UK we have very good insured credit cards. I have made serveral purchases both on ebay and just generally online, if someone f***s me over on anything, i can report it to Barclaycard, who will give me my money back after I fill in a report, and then they chase the bugger that has attempted to rip me off. Often with far more success than any individual or even Ebay could ever manage...

Of course this is a bit late in the day, but something you and others should consider in the future.

Scoofy12
05-04-2005, 12:44 PM
you can do that with credit cards here in the states as well... however, a lot of sellers (even legit ones) dont want to take paypal if its paid by CC because the CC company takes a cut of the sale (which paypal passes on to the seller). so yeah if your paypal was paid by CC you can do as meep suggested. but if it came directly from the bank account or from someone else's paypal account, then that wont work.

PY 222
05-04-2005, 12:45 PM
rsbriggs, sorry to hear about this.

Some Xeon lovin could have helped us alot.

QIbHom
05-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your problems, but not surprised. My own ebay fraud case didn't get too far, although I eventually managed to get my money back.

You could try your postmaster or the police. Most cops don't want to get involved, but occasionally they do.

Dyyryath
05-06-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear this, rsbriggs. This kind of crap always makes me want to track the person down & go 'explain' my position to them in person. :spank: