PDA

View Full Version : The Big Guys

Dyyryath
05-28-2002, 01:05 PM
As I watch the stats for the various teams, I always find myself wondering just what the mega-producers are doing to create such staggering production numbers.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if a couple of pages dedicated to our largest producers wouldn't be a worthwhile effort?

How about it? If I could talk them into it, would anybody else here be interested in hearing how they generate the numbers they do? What kind of hardware they're running on? Maybe some pictures of said hardware?

Obviously, they may not want to give away such details, but you never know. Is anybody else as curious as I am about our giants like xj10bt, Data, guru, and Condor?

What I'm proposing is essentially a set of fancy profile pages with details about the member in question, and the hardware they employ to make us all look like peons. ;)

I'd be happy to build them if anyone else here likes the idea, and the big guns are willing to cooperate...

xj10bt
05-28-2002, 02:08 PM
Heh. Trust me, my stuff is not worth taking pictures of :D

DATA
05-28-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by xj10bt
Heh. Trust me, my stuff is not worth taking pictures of :D

neither is mine :o - just a bunch of outdated puters working for the good of mankind - but it would be interesting Dyyryath let me know what info you require and i wil gladly assist if its going to help bring more ppl to the projects :cool:

(next rebuild wil be worth speaking about through i think!)

Paratima
05-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Sorry, Dyy. I swore never to reveal the secrets of my strength. :jester:

I think it's a great idea if you can pull it off. Don't let 'em get away with that modesty :bs:.

And be sure to talk with Jodie... I think I'm in love with her cluster!

Condor
05-29-2002, 02:41 PM
Well, I probably generate two-thirds of my production from work. I could show some nice pictures of how to identify a box that is off, and then how to turn it on. I have created simplier instructions, but I bet this group can handle that easily.
And not being too much of a hardware guy, if I listed machines at home if would only be for comedic value.

digital_me
05-29-2002, 03:41 PM
hmmmm....

this is interesting

can i join even if i'm from another team...

there's a good relation between Free-DC and TSF so there should be now problem... right Dyy :)

DM

digital_me
05-29-2002, 03:50 PM
Dyy

do you want to make something like the ArsSupercomputer but with more details and if possible "farm pics"

i'm sure you can make a very nice site for those who are interested :)

DM

Dyyryath
05-29-2002, 04:52 PM
That may not be a bad idea, digital_me. Perhaps something that can handle multiple teams, with each team having a page of it's own?

Each team page would show the users from that team with the user's name linking to a 'personal profile page' of sorts?

A project wide supercomputer database, so to speak...not a bad idea at all.

With it, you could do all sort of cross team comparisons, listings of top users in the project regardless of teams, and obviously a whole bunch of new stats.

There are a lot of options here. Let me give this some thought and see where it goes...

Dyyryath
05-29-2002, 04:55 PM
And be sure to talk with Jodie... I think I'm in love with her cluster!

Paratima: I'm rather enamoured with her setup myself, though I have to admit I find her obvious intellect even more appealing.

There's nothing sexier than an intelligent woman. :thumbs:

MAD-ness
05-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Yes there is.

An intelligent woman who returns your phone calls.

Not pressing charges is a plus too.

=)

Paratima
05-29-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Dyyryath
There's nothing sexier than an intelligent woman. :thumbs: Ha, ha! Oh yes, there is, and MAD-ness is close... It's an intelligent woman WITH a large, fast cluster! :jester:

Dyyryath
05-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Heh, I never considered the 'not pressing charges' thing before, but I can see where that'd be a PLUS. :)

And obviously, having a big ole cluster's a plus, but not so much of one if she's got her own DF account name. :D

RipItUp
05-30-2002, 02:09 AM
An intelligent woman in a Ferrari F40 reading a book on practical jokes and japes.

Regards

Andy