PDA

View Full Version : Tight VNC

n7vxj
05-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Guys I'm putting together another cruncher, and just realized I don't have any more AGP cards.Will Tight VNC work without a video card? I ran the program some years ago, but can't remember.Also, does the server part go on the machine you will running with the program, or the machine your running from?:confused:

IronBits
05-15-2005, 10:41 AM
If the mobo will boot without it, sure.
http://www.realvnc.com/dist/vnc-3.3.7-x86_win32.exe

redukt
05-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Yea, as long as the PC will boot without it, no problem. Well, other than the initial setup. Turning 'HALT ON ERRORS' or whatever in your BIOS to 'NONE' should allow you to unplug mouse, keyboard, video card, etc and still have a bootable machine.

And the server goes on each PC you want to access remotely. The client is the viewer..

What OS are you planning on using?

rsbriggs
05-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Just FYI - it has been my observation that the VNC server doesn't work so very well without a graphics card in some machines, even if the MOBO will boot without it...

This is not so much of an issue for Linux boxen, but is definately an issue for WIN boxen...

n7vxj
05-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Installed vnc on both boxes.I couldn't get my main box to see the other one, no way no how!!I got the bios set on the new machine to halt on no errors, and got bios beeps so I don't know, guess I just have to get a agp card!!!Damn it!! I just new I would be able to get a new one up and running next week!!!

redukt
05-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Are you running any firewalls on the machine you're trying to view? Are they on the same hub / switch / router?

Sounds like a video card is required, but I don't know that you need AGP. You might be able to pick up a dirt cheap PCI card and have it work too. Couldn't say for sure, but I know I've had machines with PCI video instead of AGP without incident.

IronBits
05-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by n7vxj
I got the bios set on the new machine to halt on no errors, and got bios beeps so I don't know, guess I just have to get a agp card!!! Yes! However, a cheap PCI card would do well ;)

n7vxj
05-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Just looked in the Yellow Pages and found out there's a pc Recycle place about 5 miles away.Gonna take a ride and see if they're open!! Maybe they have an el cheapo for sale, and are open!! :spank: :rotfl:

rsbriggs
05-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Make certain that you open port 5900 TC/P on the server machine. If these are Linux boxes, you may have to specify the display number - (the server is often configured for display 1 or 2 by default) - your viewer connection string will look like: 192.168.0.145:2

You must set up an access password, the client will not connect to a server that doesn't have a password set.

It's really easier to get them connected first, then start unplugging things like graphic cards - you start from a known point of being able to connect....