PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Deal?

n7vxj
05-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I dumped around 500 completed WU's yesterday, and they didn't show up in the stats.Are the servers losing completed work again?
:bang: :spank:

IronBits
05-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Check your dnetc.ini file
http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9246

Shows up here :)
http://stats.distributed.net/participant/psearch.php?project_id=8&st=n7vxj
http://stats.distributed.net/participant/phistory.php?project_id=8&id=447981

Looks like you need to merge your accounts - send them an email ;)

rsbriggs
05-17-2005, 10:53 AM
I think our stats run is borked - stats appear to be OK on dnet itself. Hell, I think 1/2 the stats in the world are currently borked. That's one good thing I'll say about 17 or bust - the stats are immediate and reliable....

DC projects take note. Stats are VERY meaningful to some users. While I can't speak for the DC community at large, having no stats for two or three days several times in a two week period REALLY upsets me.

em99010pepe
05-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by n7vxj
I dumped around 500 completed WU's yesterday, and they didn't show up in the stats.Are the servers losing completed work again?
:bang: :spank:

And I thought I was the only one in that problem. I lost ~40wu's. Let's way for tomorrow's update.

Carlos

n7vxj
05-17-2005, 11:08 AM
IB, I know about the different accounts.Two of them were originally at XPC, and I e-mailed them to get them moved over here.They were supposed to merge the other accounts with the latest one, and never did it.I explained to them, I no longer had access to the comcast accounts.They have never merged them.I finally got tired of waiting on e-mails from them, and just gave up!!At least the points are here!!As far as the stats,I'm not uploading anymore till the stats are straightened out.We constantly had stats problems, and lost uploaded WU's in 2003 when I was crunchin for them.That's the main reason I left the project before!!

Dan

Mustard
05-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Some time back I sent in a request to them to have an acount merged that I no longer have the ISP email address. They responded with an email that I would be contacted by a support person.......................... has never happened. Not at all impressed with dnet's custmer relations/support. So I don't crunch much for them anymore.

em99010pepe
05-17-2005, 11:55 AM
They don't merge accounts, they don't move your points when you change teams. Once I sent an email asking to move all my points to Free-DC team and I got a negative answer. The rules are written on their page (not as DPAD where Stephen makes the rules!), if you don't like them crunch for another project. Oh well, this is the only client that can be run in hidden mode (Win Me) without my father to suspect that I am using his machine.

Carlos

n7vxj
05-17-2005, 01:40 PM
The only reason I'm crunching for them now is because I want to see Team Free-DC get into the top 100 Teams.Once that happens, more than likely, I won't continue to crunch Rc5!!

D2DM
05-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by n7vxj
The only reason I'm crunching for them now is because I want to see Team Free-DC get into the top 100 Teams.Once that happens, more than likely, I won't continue to crunch Rc5!!
Top 100.. hehe

Info on statsquestion
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/23393917#23393917

em99010pepe
05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by D2DM
Top 100.. hehe

Info on statsquestion
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/23393917#23393917

Fica um pouco dificil de se perceber quando está escrito na tua lingua.

n7vxj,

Just to be more clear about my last post. That was what I understood between the lines of the email I received from them.

Carlos

Mustard
05-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I know they don't move points from teams, but the points still count on the "individual's" total score. And it doesn't bother me that they don't move points between teams, nothing wrong with that really. Some allow it and some don't. Just the way it goes. :)

As for the project, they have decent servers and client software that supports a very wide range of cpu architectures.

Anyway I think I'll crunch it for a while and give a little help in trying to run the FDC team placement up a bit. :)

D2DM
05-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by em99010pepe
Fica um pouco dificil de se perceber quando está escrito na tua lingua.

Carlos (Well, the only word I don't understand in your sentence is "Fica" :) ). The big english chunk of text was easy enough to directly spot.:smoking:

em99010pepe
05-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Fica means stays.

Carlos

Mustard
05-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Okay, the deal is that they aren't counting all the work units. I turned in 1,795 and they show me at 1,684. They were turned in at noon PST with hours to spare. Which leaves me 111 units down...... roughly the output of an xp2400 for 20 hours or so. And this is from the dnet generated stats site. :( Not good.

Mustard
05-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Uploaded some more points tonight, so there shouldn't be any reason for them not to be counted in the run for today. Will see how the count goes on that. Meanwhile plugged them all into fad awaiting the rc5 count.

IronBits
05-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Editing your dnetc.ini file to point to Bok's pproxy server...
You can watch your computers working all day long that way :thumbs:

[networking]
autofindkeyserver=no
keyserver=www.free-dc.org:2064 <-- This forces your client to get work from Bok's pproxy server only
nofallback=true
dialup-watcher=passive
interfaces-to-watch=*
disabled=no

Mustard
05-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
Editing your dnetc.ini file to point to Bok's pproxy server...
You can watch your computers working all day long that way :thumbs:

Still have to wait to see the total daily results posted by dnets server, as that is where the concern is....... :(

Mustard
05-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Well gang, I turned in 596 and yesterday's dnet stats showed 559. So after a little pocket calculator, it works out that 6.2% were not counted. The day before that, it also worked out to 6.2% not being counted. I physically watched the upload of all the points both days. So something strange is going on. So I think I will just continue to leave my systems on FAD.

n7vxj
05-20-2005, 08:25 PM
I think I'm losing uploaded WU;s as well!! My next time uploading, I'm keeping a count of whats uploaded from all my machines.If they don't show up right, in the stats, then I'm done with them.If these boneheads want us to run there dang program for them, then they need to straighten out there client, and servers, so they do what they're supposed to do!! I have better things to do with my money, than pay an electric bill to run a client that's crap!!!!:smoking: :swear:

IronBits
05-20-2005, 09:34 PM
The client is the best in the business...
The servers may be choking, which happens on occasions...

Are you using their pproxy key Servers or Bok's pproxy Server?

Of course, SOB and DPAD are fun to :)

n7vxj
05-20-2005, 11:02 PM
O.K. IB,let me rephrase that.The servers, and support, both suck, big time!!
I believe I'm using both servers.

Mustard
05-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I am only running stuff through dnet's servers. Phil's stuff doesn't enter into the picture.

rsbriggs
05-21-2005, 03:11 AM
Well, just for my own curiosity and because I don't have much of a vested interest in RC-5, I'll do a little experiment that should prove this one way or another.

First, I need to let any old packets "drain out" - I'll be bringing up some old instances of the client and there may be some left over stuff in the buffers.

Once I hit 0, then I'll run a series of tests, letting my production settle back down to 0 between each of the tests:

1.) - 1 machine, 500 packets, then
2.) - 2 machines, 250 packets each, then
3.) - 5 machines, 100 packets each, then
4.) - 10 machines, 50 packets each, then
5.) - 25 machines, 20 packets each.

(Sorry, unfortunately I can't do a 50 machines, 10 packets each test :( )

We'll see how close to a 500 packet result each test produces, and how close to 2500 the overall test produces. If there is indeed a 6% loss, then the tests should come in around 470 packets each, rather than the full 500, and there should be a very noticeable 300 packets missing from the overall test

alpha
05-21-2005, 04:01 AM
I'll take a wild stab at this.

I may be wrong, but I had a sneaky suspicion that duplicate packets do not count towards your stats. In other words, if the same packet is sent out to two machines, only the first one to return it gets the credit.

How often are those of you that are experience stats loss submitting results? It might be an idea to enable automatic fetch/flushing on packet completion and see how your results compare to previous days.

Also, make sure that your clients are not having network problems. If the dnet client has no network communication and empty buffers, for RC5-72 it will generate a random packet (chance of duplication).

Then again, I could have it all wrong. I'll go read the dnet site, it will be on there somewhere.

alpha
05-21-2005, 04:09 AM
It seems I was right. Apparently if the same packet is returned more than once, only the first person to return it gets credit. See here (http://n0cgi.distributed.net/faq/cache/71.html).

And I'll quote:

Like all blocks, randoms are subject to de-duping at the keymaster. This means that only the first person to submit any one random block will be credited for that block in stats.

Also (and this may be blatantly obvious), you are all taking into account that the dnet project works on UTC? This isn't just a timezone issue? Obviously if the stats for the previous day are calculated at midnight, you need to have submitted all your packets by midnight UTC.

n7vxj
05-21-2005, 09:48 AM
First off,I download 1000 packets at a time on each of my machines to insure they have plenty of work.Second, all my machines are on a broadband connection so there is no problem with them being able to connect to the servers, and third, I am very much aware that the servers are on UTC, and make it a point to upload all completed packets before 0000 UTC.This problem with lost packets has been going on for years.I don't know how many times people have been told to send there logs in so the lost packets could be verified.It was a constant thing back when I was XPC's rc5 team, and the main reason I quit doing rc5 back then.I had hoped by now, they had resolved those issues, but it is apparent to me, they haven't. It appears to be somewhat less frequent, but is still happening.

Mustard
05-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Yes, well aware of the UTC issue. Wasn't aware of the wu being sent to multiple users and only the first being counted. So that would undoubtedly explain why stuff isn't being counted................ Unlike seti, fad, etc., all who sent out multiple packets but everyone that turned one in was credited for the machine time spent crunching. bummer :(

I just never took the time in the past to actually count what I had turned in. Been crunching rc5 for a long time. This is not my only RC5 account as I also crunched on USD for a while. This duping on random work units and not granting the credit to all who turn them in isn't cool though. I hadn't seen that before, and would definitely explain why so many people over the life of the project have thought they were losing workunits.

Oh well....... isn't going to happen to me anymore. :)

n7vxj
05-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Lexx, it was so bad at one time, that we were making a backup copy of the buffer-out file, so that when we sent in completed work, if they were lost at the servers, or wherever, we would resend them, and let the servers sort out what it had received, and had not received.It's starting to sound like an option again!!!!

Mustard
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
gee....... it did happen to me again........... :) sorta like dumb and dumber. I put another system online, and added my email addy and crunched away for about 12 hours and the stats should have been reflected in yesterday's update. But they weren't. So I went looking, and of course, found out that one needs to spell their email addy correctly............... :( Some days just aren't as cool as others..... :cool: