PDA

View Full Version : Sieve Co-Ordination Site

Matt
05-17-2005, 11:13 AM
I've started working on a PHP/mySQL based sieve co-ordinator, basically I just need to know the total range that we are sieving and what ranges have been completed and reserved.

Also anything that you particularly want mentioned say here and i'll try and do it. I should have something up and running soon but I'll need someone to check through things and make sure they look right.

Matt
05-17-2005, 11:16 AM
I just noticed the sieve coordination thread says 1m-20m so that's obviously the range.

vjs
05-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Matt not really...

The sieve range is based on p we are/will sieve from p=0 to p=1126T with proth.

What you want to do is script reservations based upon G intervals of p.

Range reservations are generally

example,

805000-806000 Name [Reserved] (dat)

As you can see in the co-ordination thread...

What I would suggest is some type of pull where your script automatically determines the lowest p available, then you could specify how much your like to sieve in G. And it would automatcially make your reservation for you...

In addition to the above you would want to include a comment field where people could add in things like: (ETA: Sept 15, with 991<n<50M dat)

Also you may wish to download the excel file, it would be great if you had a pull down menu of computer type which would estimate speed and then give an estimate of days to complete.

So here is what you could have....

Two seperate scripts....

Choose processor which most closely resemebles yours
-athlon xp 1800, pentium3-1000MHz, barton XXX, Athlon 64 etc..

It would give a rough estimate of kp/s which a first time usre to transfer to another box or over write if they knew their sieve speed.

Second a box for how long you'd like to sieve...

Based upon the above two choices it would recommend a sieve range*, I.E. 500G

It would take this 500G and auto enter it into another box which people could overwrite if they wish.

Then enter their username'...

Then enter any comments...

The script would then look for the lowest p 805000 for example add 500 to it and reserved based upon their info.

Lowest-p (from table), -, [Lowest-p (from table) + {Calculated Range}*], username', comments

805000-805500 username comments

Whatever you decide please don't limit the current functions that we have.

Matt
05-19-2005, 11:16 AM
It's pretty much done. See it at http://mattford.org.uk/sob

User accounts are already set up for anyone who's done sieving before, you'll need to contact me to get a password.

Feedback requested as to what isn't working properly or what needs to be added or changed.

As it stands at the moment here is the proccess for sieving:

[list=1]
Go to the site
Register if you haven't already got an account setup
Go to the reserve a range page
Choose a range size or get the calculator to work one out for you
Choose where you want to work
Reserve your range
Sieve. You can log in and update your progress using the comments and factors fields.
When the sieve is complete submit all your work in the normal way then mark your range as complete.
An admin then confirms that the range has indeed been completed and submitted to the server, and that the number of factors found is accurate.
[/list=1]

You can reserve any number of ranges but the maximum range size is 1000G.

vjs
05-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Ahh Matt sorry now I know what the PM was about...

WOW!!! That's great and well done... few issues however.

First I reserved a range to test the system but could not find a way to unreserve or abandon the range.

Couple things

Reserved tests
Pending tests should all be changes to Ranges, since we are actually doing ranges.

Second after the Min and Max add (G)

Min (G)
Max (G)

On the calculator That's really really great I like it but there are few problems...

You can't simply enter your sieve speed and have it calculate the range you have to choose a particular processor. Choosing the processor is great for first timers give you a rough guess etc, I think the date ranges are perfect.

Few more

There is no way of reserving a particular range Min Max or your choosing? Also would it be possible to add the comment earlier in the range reservation as opposed to once a range is reserved edit later? I just have a feeling less people will use the comment field the way it is.

I do like the fact that you can edit your range after comments etc, but you can't edit pmin pmax, maybe this is a good thing unsure currently.

I think this is really really good but with some feedback it could be fantastic.

Let some others try it out for a while...

Matt
05-19-2005, 12:33 PM
I've changed "test" to range in the most obvious places, I'll do the other things later on tonight hopefully.

Matt
05-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Ok, I've made a few changes to the calculator, now when you select a processor speed it fills out the kps straight away as a guide. Then you can change it if you like, then choose a period and have it work out a range. You can now also enter a custom min value. You can also comment on a range as you reserve it. I haven't allowed users to extend or shrink ranges as it could quite easily lead to overlaps, however I may implement it later. A test username has been set up, log in with username "test" and password "test". I've added the (G) to all places I can see that need it, if I've missed any let me know. Users can also abandon ranges now.

vjs
05-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Very big improvments I hope others try this out... I do have a few more comments and suggestions...

I think I snafu'ed the table with a high-n reservation you may wish to check this...

I tried to trick the table asking for a range within a range...

571000-571500

It came back with

YOUR RANGE WAS SHORTENED TO PREVENT AN OVERLAP!
You have been resereved the following range:
min: 571000
max: 571000

IMHO, this is perfect

It's always easier for users when they have a small comments around what they are doing...

Range Size Calculator

This is great but I would comment:

Suggests Range Size for reservation based upon CPU and time commitment.

Also I believe Range Size Calculator should be located above "Choose A Range Size"

"Choose A Range Size" shouldn't this actually be "Reserve a range"

That's basically what your doing...

And of course the button should be reserve range.

The gap radio button is great!!!

Also the abandon range works very well.

P.S. The admin side looks good to but I couldn't figure out how to delete someones range. Let leave the admin side for now and get a couple other to beta test.

Nuri
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Nice work. :thumbs:

A few comments.

You can add:

A range size column and factors per G column in related tables.

A range size column for gaps on reservation page.

Maximum range size would better be 10000G. There are some users who prefer to reserve in 2000G, 5000G and 10000G batches.

For the time being, I think you can limit the upper limit of avaliable ranges to 2^50 (i.e. 1126120G).

How about a two way calculator? Select processor and time span, and it will give you the recommended size of range to be selected. Or, select processor and range size, and it will give you how long that range will take. Or, a third option: Select the processor and it will give you estimated time to finish for a couple of range sizes as a list and by clicking the related range size, you will automatically reserve first available range of that size. It will look like below:

100G will finish in 4 days and 2 hours. Click to reserve first available 100G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
200G will finish in 8 days and 4 hours. Click to reserve first available 200G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
500G will finish in 16 days and 8 hours. Click to reserve first available 500G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
1000G will finish in 32 days and 16 hours. Click to reserve first available 1000G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
2000G will finish in 65 days and 8 hours. Click to reserve first available 2000G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
5000G will finish in 130 days and 16 hours. Click to reserve first available 5000G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
10000G will finish in 261 days and 8 hours. Click to reserve first available 10000G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG

One can shorten this of course. I just could not find how. :rolleyes:

Matt
05-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok, I think I have implemented most of those improvements you've suggested. I see this user: http://mattford.org.uk/sob/userinfo.php?user=57 has a very high range reserved, I think I got this from one of the sieve co-ordination forum threads when I imported everything in - is this wrong? I'm guessing it must be as the numbers are 100x larger than what we're dealing with...

EDIT: Posted this whilst nuri was posting so haven't done those changes yet, I'll look into them now.

vjs
05-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Matt,

Ranges way up there are possible just not with the current most popular software.

Proth which is what 99.9% of the people use 100% of the time is limited to 1125895
or there abouts.

Basically the largest range that should be reserved is less than

1120000 1125850 pixl97 [complete]

So you could use 1120000 as a cut off for the radio buttons (Gaps).

O.K. now I'm really pushing it but is gap the correct term? (I don't know)

I think it is... "Gaps" in reservations

"holes" are portions where no factors were found?

I think Matt has it correct, it's really semantics on this level anyways.

I like Nuri's suggestions for the three-way calculator I already made one with the excel sheet a while back... does anyone use it?

I think what's important for the calculator portion is what would a newbie use most. I think they would at least know which processor they have and how long they would like to commit. So Nuri's suggestion of

100G will finish in 4 days and 2 hours. Click to reserve first available 100G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
200G will finish in 8 days and 4 hours. Click to reserve first available 200G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
500G will finish in 16 days and 8 hours. Click to reserve first available 500G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
1000G will finish in 32 days and 16 hours. Click to reserve first available 1000G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
2000G will finish in 65 days and 8 hours. Click to reserve first available 2000G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
5000G will finish in 130 days and 16 hours. Click to reserve first available 5000G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG
10000G will finish in 261 days and 8 hours. Click to reserve first available 10000G range of xxxxxxG-yyyyyyG

after they select a processor type would be great.

We really don't want alot of people reserving in 632G increments correct?

What I would suggest is what nuri point suggested... (Nuri did you see the radio button on the left?) [Default to lowest range]

Except replace

With:

(Radio button) Click to reserve 10000G Range, will complete in 261 days and 8hrs.

Then the final radio button would be the custom range size reservation.

I think this is looking very good. Thanks for doing all of this work Matt.

vjs
05-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Matt: I linked this thread in the current reservations thread... hopefully we can get more people looking commenting...

Can you please please please make a comment on the opening page that your page is still beta and range reservations there have no influnence or impact on the *OFFICIAL RESEVATION THREAD*.

Matt
05-19-2005, 06:05 PM
I've done a few changes not sure if it's exactly what you meant but it's something along the lines of it. Combination of javascript and PHP as javascript was doing my head in too much :bang:

Probably still needs a bit of fine tuning so let me know what you think.

vjs
05-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Matt :cheers:

I think you got it!!!

I say sit back and wait for people to comment a little more.

I've worked through it a couple times and I think it's fantastic you hit the nail right on the head with the range calculations.

We need some fresh eyes to look at it.

IronBits
05-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Perfect for me!!! :D
I had NO problem reserving 3 ranges and abandoning one.

I have no complaints, it was simple, straight forward and SLICK!

I created the 1st one, using the CPU method, but it didn't have an AMD FX55 listed so I chose the AMD64 3000, put in 768 kp/s and let it figure it out.
I was able to understand it :smoking:

I would like to see ...
After I select a range of say 1000 G
[ ] Assign me a range that is best for the project now!

or / and
[ ] Plug a hole! We'll give ya something to work on.

Larger FONTS would be nice, after all, it's important numbers! ;)

:cheers:

jaat
05-19-2005, 10:32 PM
:cheers: I like it too. It's great.

good work.

hhh
05-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Few comments by a real sieving beginner(never done some)

1)One should not have access to the pending test page while logged out. Neither to the Completed Ranges section. When logged in, it could be 'Your pending ranges', etc., too. Easier to understand.
2)One should not be able to reserve a range of 192 or so. The calculator should just say: 192 will take one week, I suggest 200 (7.3days). Something like this.
3)No radio button for Ranges that take an eternity (10000G on Pentium 133).
4) A beginners section with links to the software, the submission page and some explanations could be helpful.
5)Bug(?): When logging out, it says:'Logged out', but in the upper part of the page, still 'You are logged in as test ' . Then I click again on Log out and it is fine. Same thing when logging in again.
6) It says:'You have been reserved the following range:
min: 807703
max: 807803'
But one more line would be helpful, with just the command line for the console. (Correct me if I tell bullshit, I never sieved).
I think that's all for the moment.
As for the rest, really great, thank you, Matt.
See you, H.
Edit: I don't know whether or not a box where you can check that you are using the large dat is useful...people eventually check it without using it, thinking it is better; on the other hand, it turns out quickly that they lied when no factors are found... H.

ShoeLace
05-20-2005, 01:48 AM
actually futher to hhh's idea

an option to download your reserved range as a nextrange.txt file would be good.

hhh
05-20-2005, 09:13 AM
We had a poll some time ago if we should make an advertisement for sieving on the main page of www.seventeenorbust.com. It said no. I think, given the new circumstances, we should relance this poll, once the new reservation script released in its nonbeta version.
Sieving is an essantial part of the process/project, and if it looks official, we can make it official, too, I think. (my opinion, at least).
H.

Matt
05-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Not entirely sure on the format of the nextrange file, can someone give me an example please? I'll carry on working through your suggestions as best I can.

Also the request about "best for the project" how would I work out where the best place to sieve is?

I have decided for the time being not to require login to view pending or completed ranges sections. For a start this could be easily curcumvented by using the test login or buy registering for an account and also I don't really see that it's nessecary.

The pending ranges section now has a link to the users "view your ranges" section.

The calculator only recommends block sizes that will finish within 90 days. It also only recommends range sizes in blocks of 10G unless the user specifies a custom block size.

I've added a little bit of info to the front page about where to get the software etc. it's not very detailed so if someone wants to help me pad it out I'd be grateful.

I've fixed the small bug in the log in/out pages.

Not entirely clear on what was meant about the type of DAT being used. Do you want a field in the database or some way of checking which is the most up to date DAT file?

vjs
05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Ironbits, thanks for checking it out,

Assign me a range that is best for the project now!
The default is already set for what's best for the project, not sure if that's clear.

Layout...

The page is sort of broken into two halves the left side basically pertains to the "I'm not sure what I want calculate it for me" and the right hand side which is really the reservation portion.

Right hand side I love the calculator sepecially for the calculate range size by time. Enter 3 days yeild 86G. But then it brings up 100G in 3.5 days (this is really really perfect!!!)

Here's the suggestion...

Move the left hand side below the right hand side, maybe use a horizontal line seperating from the top, etc. Move the custom min from that location to elsewhere, I think the best place for it would be the bottom of the select a working area (good term BTW).

Second location of the calculated ranges with the use buttons. Have the location of the use buttons pop-up (fill in) below the CPU/Time fields and above the reservations section.

I have an edit suggestion then as well...

If you know what range size you want, skip to the bottom "reserve a range" , enter it and choose a working area (optimal range is by default)

then

to give you either a time prediction or a range size recommendation pressing use will transfer your selection to the reservation box. Comment on your range if you so desire.

Good work Matt alot of people like this!!!

vjs
05-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Second comment to Matt on the next file etc....

Once a range has been calculated your put on a screen that shows this...

You have been reserved the following range:
min: 807803
max: 807935

Could you change the format to the following

807803-807935 username [reserved] (comments)

Now the nextrange.txt file is easy...

Below this have it display the following two lines

pmin=807903000000000
pmax=807935000000000

no bold of course.

People who knew could then cut and paste this into a txt file called named nextrange.txt, would you like me to write an instructions?

If it were possible you could have a link or button download nextrange.txt file.

Does this help?

Matt
05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
I've done the nextrange thing and moved around the reservation page yet again. I'm still not happy with the layout of this page, I'm considering maybe a "simple" mode and an "advanced" mode? Simple mode could basically be the calculator and advanced mode you enter your own block size and have the option to choose a custom min. What do you think?

Stromkarl
05-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ShoeLace
actually futher to hhh's idea

an option to download your reserved range as a nextrange.txt file would be good. I like this idea, but could you use a check box to activate it instead? Those of us with farms of computers and Sobistrator don't need it.

Stromkarl

vjs
05-20-2005, 02:05 PM
The nextrange.txt file is incorrect it basically comes accross as

pmin=807935000000000(symbol)pmax=808935000000000

where is should be a new line

pmin=807935000000000
pmax=808935000000000

I really suggest that you add the pmin= in the reserve.php screen a cut and paste is what I would use personally as opposed to a download.

min: 808935
max: 809435

I kind of like the page as it is but the advanced mode etc sounds interesting...

The current page could be the advanced mode

Perhaps just the top left hand side could be the simplified, change the comments

Choose your range size. An athlon xp2500 will sieve about 50G per day.

Need help choosing a range (more/less time, different computer) click here, range calculator click here, advanced reservations click here etc.

Matt
05-20-2005, 03:12 PM
The nextrange.txt works for me, it's possible that it's using the unix newline character instead of the windows newline character. I'll change the ouput to have it in the format required for a nextrange.txt file.

vjs
05-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Once you reserve the range.

The

pmin=809445000000000
pmax=810445000000000

is perfect but to avoid confusion you really need to use the format of the old thread as well. Those are also the numbers that you would enter if your a first timer too.

809445-810445 username comment

or at least,

You have successfully reserved the range 809445-810445 somewhere

Matt
05-20-2005, 05:30 PM
I've changed it a little, is that OK?

Nuri
05-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Wow! This thread is hot...

OverlordQ
05-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Check the reserved ranges . . . something strange is going on:

805000 805500 hc_grove May 21, 2005
805000 805865 VJS May 19, 2005

and on the gap page:

GAP: 805500 -> 805000

Stromkarl
05-21-2005, 09:48 AM
I just tried to view the [Completed Ranges] page. I am connected with DSL and it took forever! Is there a way to break down the stats for this into separate pages or to have a drop down list with how many entries to show per page?

Also, the site seemed slow to load. Would it be possible to have a stat for how many people are currently browsing the reservation pages, sort of like the forum does?

These are just nit-picky points, but may help the page go faster. As for content, it is great! I did notice that the gap page showed that there was a gap that went backwards at the beginning. This had to do with an overlapping reservation.

Keep up the good work!

Stromkarl

IronBits
05-21-2005, 10:43 AM
When your done with the coding, if you want a host, look no further ;)

Matt
05-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Ok, the reason for the overlap is because I manually inserted the test by hc_grove as it was entered into the sieve co-ordination thread, I didn't check if it was overlapping which was a bit silly. I never notice the page load because the server is on my LAN. The site is running off my home ADSL connection which only has 256k/s upload. I do have a proper webhost somewhere that I could use or if someone else wants to host it that's ok, basically all it needs is PHP/mySQL, and I would prefer phpMyAdmin to help me with various tweaking bits.

OverlordQ
05-21-2005, 12:07 PM
yea it might be mentioned that if people reserve ranges on the site to still post it in the thread to keep this from happening.

Keroberts1
05-22-2005, 02:13 AM
perhaps the auto reserving should just skip ahead or have a specific range that it reserves through then reserve that whole range off the bat in the reservations thread to allow everyone to know not to reserve in that range.

Matt
05-22-2005, 04:07 AM
Well hopefully the thread and the site will not be running in parallel for too long.I hope we are in agreement that the site is a better system (otherwise I've wasted my time) and hopefully it can come out of BETA soon (I haven't made any changes to it for a day or so).

Nuri
05-22-2005, 04:51 AM
Are there any news from MikeH?

I guess it's important that reservation site and sieve stat site can communicate without manual intervention.

It'd be nice to hear his comments as well.

Matt
05-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I've comunicated with him via PM and have set up a channel of data transfer from my co-ordination site to his stats site.

vjs
05-22-2005, 11:43 AM
If and when everyone (especially SoB creators) agree that this site will serve as the sieve co-ordination page what we will do is the following.

Either Lock the main site co-ordinating tread the a direct link to Matt's url or hosting so no one can reserve there.

or

Reserve a large block say 800000-850000 in the main thread as "automatic sieve reservation" and I will manually update ranges for a few weeks.

One of these options will probably work. Also the main reservation thread will not dissappear. I'd suggest that we keep the thread for achieve purposes at least. This would also off load Matt's site.

Matt have you considered dumping all ranges say <300000, simply link them as achieved. Might speed things up considerably.

vjs
05-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Disscussion moved...

From Matt

Can people please try and keep the sieve co-ordinator site up to date as well to save me importing all the data again when it comes out of beta?

vjs
05-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Matt we can't maintain two sites it's really impossible and leads to alot of confusion.

You've created the site and I think we have given people ample time to beta test the site and ask for changes. If further modifications are required we should be able to do these once the site is active.

Here are the steps we are going to take.

1. I'm going to e-mail Louie suggesting that we move your site onto the main server.

Once this is done

2. Reserve a range on the main forum for the automatic sieve reservation system something like

820000-850000 Automatic sieve reservation [Reserved]

This range could be extened if need be but I think we will go to your system totally or not at all before all of these ranges are reserved.

You will have to limit the reservations allowed by the server to this range only during this time.

3. Strongly suggest to all people to get usernames and passwords

4. Lock the main sieve reservation thread.

Nuri
05-26-2005, 05:05 PM
BTW, is this an script error???

805500 805000 Gap

Edit: Did not read previous posts carefully before this post. Ok now.

Nuri
05-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Another script error???

Tried to reserve an overlapping range at
1100000 1100100 [Complete]
1100100 1111100 Gap

with 1100000 as custom min and 1000 as range size. And the result is as below:

YOUR RANGE WAS SHORTENED TO PREVENT AN OVERLAP!
You have successfully reserved the range 1100000-1100000. Here is the data for your nextrange.txt file:

pmin=1100000000000000
pmax=1100000000000000

And for those of you nostalgic for a thread style display:

1100000-1100000 test [Reserved]

Nuri
05-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Matt, there is this range in my reserved ranges that is complete, but shown as incomplete in your pages. It's 697000-699000 if I recall correctly.

It was finished in 2004. Thus, there are no factors for it in 2005 stats. Does it have something to do with that? (i.e. you might be using Mike's ages somehow, at leat for importing data manually etc. and if you used 2005 stats instead of overall stats, that might have caused some confusion).

vjs
05-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Nuri this is a good point...

It's not really an error in so far as the range reservation actually has no size and you forced it to choose an overlap.

"choose a custom min inside a reserved or completed range"

So, basically it's functioning correctly... had you reserved at an appropriate min (within a gap) the script would have assigned you 1000G or cut your reservation at the point were you start to overlap.

I think the logic of the reservation needs to be changed as such.

When a custom min is chosen check that that min exists... if not continue to increase that min until a gap is found --> Then add the reservation size to that min (check for overlap --> assign the range of 1000G or limit it by overlap.

vjs
05-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Humm,

It looks like something has broken down with the system....

801000 802000 Rychek Unknown
802000 805000 MikeH Unknown
805000 805500 hc_grove May 21, 2005
805000 805865 VJS Test only May 22, 2005
805865 806603 VJS Test only May 22, 2005
806603 807603 test testing IronBits May 20, 2005

And the gap buttons are not corresponding to what's reserved...

I basically told Matt to leave it alone for a bit and let people crash it, if they can.

It of course still needs work, and will require maintaince. There will be an admin side of course.

I have a feeling it maybe because I have admin rights so I ???can reserve an overlap???

vjs
05-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Looks like it's working properly if you choose any other gap button than the first one.
Which represents a gap that isn't there... But then the system tells you there is no pag there...

odd, but I guess it works. Regardless Matt admits he has more work to do.

Editing my post...

Matt Nuri has taken alot of time to trouble shoot your system and is a sieve-vet. I think he has some very good ideas, if you can work some of these in. I like the ideas of alerting the user to problems or changes in his reservations.

Question... are wishing you wouldn't have started this whole process :Pokes: .

Let it be known that everyone is thank-ful for your efforts, I know sometimes it feels like eveyones a critic but it's all in good faith and we are thank-ful. :notworthy :cheers: :notworthy

Nuri
05-26-2005, 06:29 PM
In one case, the new reservation overps with previosly reserved range from the top, and the script cuts tht portion.

In second case, the new reservation ovelaps with previously reserved range from the bottom, and the scrip reserves a range size of 0, within the previously reserved range.

The third case is where the selected range size is larger than selected gap size.

It's a good think that the script tries to correct the error.

A better approach would be:

to use flashing, even in color alert text to make use the user sees there is something wrong...

even better, instead of forcing some action, the script can give alternatives. like:

If you want to stay close to that p, I can reduce the size of your reservation to fit the available gap there. So, your new reservation will be aaa-aab. Click here if you want to change your reservation to that.

If you want to keep the size of your reservation fixed, I can reserve next available gap of that size for you. It is xxx-xxy. Click here if you want to change your reservation to that.

If you did not like both, I can cancel your reservation ant take you to the reservation page to hink again. Click here if you want to do that.

Nuri
05-26-2005, 06:34 PM
BTW, I would suggest that we limit the size of minimum reservable range to 100G. (instead of current 1G size).

Joe O
05-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Nuri
BTW, I would suggest that we limit the size of minimum reservable range to 100G. (instead of current 1G size).
I would further recommend that the ranges be on 100G boundaries. It is not enough to limit reservations to a minimum size, they must be on reasonable boundaries.

Joe O
05-26-2005, 11:12 PM
We have traditionally used the word "gap" for an area missing factors. See this page, toward the bottom (http://www.aooq73.dsl.pipex.com/), where you will find the "Gap Analysis" section.
We have often used the word "hole" for a space between ranges. We have also called it an available range, or a missing reservation. I would propose that we call it a "hole" instead of a "gap" to prevent confusion. If anyone has another word that they would like to propose, please do so.

hhh
05-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Joe O
I would further recommend that the ranges be on 100G boundaries. It is not enough to limit reservations to a minimum size, they must be on reasonable boundaries.

unless it is in order to fill a hole, if the last one is already on unreasonable bounds.
H.

Nuri
05-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Joe O
If anyone has another word that they would like to propose, please do so.

I'd suggest "available".

Nuri
05-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by hhh
unless it is in order to fill a hole, if the last one is already on unreasonable bounds.
H.

Yes, that might create problems... Unless, may be, some chevalier among us makes necessary reservations to bring current unreasonable bound reservations to nearest 100G.

As far as I can see, there are only two reservations needed as of now,

993900-993900 chevalier
996666-996700 chevalier

;)

And, once these two ranges are reserved and as soon as this 100G unit is put into practice, there will never be an available range smaller than 100G up to 2^50.

Nuri
05-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Ooops!!

Except that of course..

811445-811495 OverlordQ [Reserved] <--- Please confirm

hhh
05-27-2005, 08:03 AM
I repost something garo posted in the Poll thread.

Originally posted by garo:

Couple of problems:

1. The range 805000-805500 overlaps with 805000-805865.

2. Whn I tried to reserve a range of 100G, it selected 805500-805000 (yes it's not a typo) as the first gap and then complained that there was no gap in the range. Moreover, if the user requests a large range, I think the first suitable gap should automatically be chosen. That is, if the first available gap is too small, another gap should be chosen by the program.

Sorry garo to be unpolite, but I think your post is important and more probably read here.
If my behavior is against the unwritten rules of forum life, please let me know and it will not happen again. H.

Joe O
05-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Yes, that might create problems... Unless, may be, some chevalier among us makes necessary reservations to bring current unreasonable bound reservations to nearest 100G.

As far as I can see, there are only two reservations needed as of now,

993900-993999 chevalier <----Is this what you meant?
996666-996700 e <----Already done

;)

And, once these two ranges are reserved and as soon as this 100G unit is put into practice, there will never be an available range smaller than 100G up to 2^50.

I've been doing just that, and would be happy to take these two ranges as well. The only reason I haven't before this, is that they keep multiplying. Once I'm sure that there will be no more, I'll take care of all the "odd" ones.

I'd suggest "available".

I like that!

vjs
05-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Humm, it looks like my range was to blame somehow. It must have been a left over of something from an early reservation etc... Regardless I'm going to ask Matt to check into admin privlages. I think this is where most of the problems are, I guess I need a user account seperate.

It seems to work now and all I had to do was remove the range in question.

The gap button seems to advance as it should etc...

hhh
05-28-2005, 07:20 PM
When using the calculator, there is still the line giving a radio button for ranges of e.g. 187 G, and it is still possible to reserve ganges that are not multiples of 100G,
starting with a 100G.
H.

Nuri
05-30-2005, 03:33 PM
A few ideas:

- links to other sites (i.e. Mike's pages, this forum, and SoB site) to open as new window

- comment box to accept "<" character (if that will be a hassle, writing 991-50m dat is no problem for me, no biggie) - further note: strange, it accepts "<", "<<", but not things like "<n<"...

- cross links with (or at least to) Mike's site, like, links to a user's sieve stats reachable through the user's page on corrdination site

- just another suggestion: using the same user id numbers with SoB (and Mike's sieve stats site) for individual users might ease things for you in the long run.

Matt
05-30-2005, 04:43 PM
I've finally got a break from work stuff to be able to do some more work on this.

Changes I have made today are:

-Implemented a complete admin system, those with admin rights can find it from the top list of links. If you don't have admin and think you need it let me know.

-I have changed the reservation system to only recommend ranges rounded to the nearest 100G as suggested. The only exception is when the user specifies a custom range size obviously.

-I have fixed the bug with the < symbol, this was caused by me forgetting to escape the characters and it interfering with the HTML of the output. I've fixed this on the reservation page, editing ranges page and admin pages. Anywhere else I've forgotten? You may need to edit your comment and re-save it for changes to take effect.

-I like to try and stick to best practice in web design where possible and with regard to links opening in new windows I prefer not to interfere with the user's browser if I can help it. If they want to open it in a new windows they can shift+click or middle click.

-I have PMed MikeH with enquires on linking to his user stats.

cjohnsto
05-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Matt
-I like to try and stick to best practice in web design where possible and with regard to links opening in new windows I prefer not to interfere with the user's browser if I can help it. If they want to open it in a new windows they can shift+click or middle click.

Thank you.

Nuri
05-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Cool. :thumbs:

royanee
05-31-2005, 06:04 PM
-I have changed the reservation system to only recommend ranges rounded to the nearest 100G as suggested. The only exception is when the user specifies a custom range size obviously.

I think that (and sincerely hope that) both Nuri and Joe were saying that not only should a "nearest 100G" be suggested, but required. Frankly, my first sieve range was a "nearest 100G" gap fill. I think that all new reservations should be in multiples of 100G at 100G boundaries (so xxx,xxx.x T would be the only significant digits). Now that Mike's stats don't show the ugly past where our ranges have non-round numbers, there is no reason to have the complicated and ultimately confusing range boundaries that end in anything other than 00.

If the logos isn't convincing... please please pease! :p

hhh
06-02-2005, 07:54 AM
on the reserving /calculator page shows still up the word gap; has it been decided to leave it like this or should this be changed to 'available' ?
H.

vjs
06-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Yes Matt please change the word Gap to available b/c Gap is used for something else. Available makes the most sence.

Matt
06-03-2005, 04:10 AM
I've changed it on the reservation page, should I also change it on the gap check page?

hhh
06-03-2005, 05:43 AM
I've changed it on the reservation page, should I also change it on the gap check page?
Is it a 'gap check page' or an 'available range check page'? ;)

Matt
06-03-2005, 12:34 PM
It's both, or they're the same aren't they? eek?!

vjs
06-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Honesty Matt, It would probably be easier just to stick with available and available reservations, pending res, completed res, etc.

Also is it a big hastle to be able to change the username with admin access.

I was trying to update the ranges from the main site to yours and could not do so b/c I couldn't enter usernames or modify user names, etc.

Also when I was updating the site the other day it seemed slow. Where are you currently hosting?

jandersonlee
06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
864900-865000 jandersonlee [reserved] (with 991<n<50M dat)

Matt
06-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Ok, admins can now create users and change the owner of ranges.

They can also manually enter ranges directly from the admin pages, this should make it easier to add them directly from the thread during the transition period.

The site is currently hosted on my home internet connection, this has a fairly pathetic 256k upload rate. I can host it on my "proper" web hosting or there was a mention of transfering to the seventeen or bust server?

Rychek
06-10-2005, 03:18 AM
Wow! I leave for a little while and you all go off and make things better.
I should leave more often!!:D

I can hardly wait to actually get to use the site. :)

-Rychek

hhh
06-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Should I sign up as hhh, like in the forum, or hh, like in seventeenorbust.com? Perhaps the latter is the better, as the factor submission is under the name hh...
Suggestions?

And: when is it out of beta?
H.

jasong
06-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what about the catch-up effort in the high-n range? I can understand not getting points for the higher-n, but shouldn't we get some sort of reservation page?

OverlordQ
06-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Available: 811600 -> 812700
Available: 820500 -> 821500
Available: 823500 -> 824500

Are listed as available but are reserved in the thread (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3501)

Matt
06-19-2005, 07:53 AM
I have asked that people please reserve on the site as well as in the thread, admins also have facility to manually reserve ranges on the site.

Nuri
06-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Just out of curiosity..

Is there an error in (overall) pending ranges page script? Or may be I did not get the idea. :confused:

May be, I should ask a question first...

What's the difference between reserved ranges page and pending ranges page?

royanee
06-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Just out of curiosity..

Is there an error in (overall) pending ranges page script? Or may be I did not get the idea. :confused:

May be, I should ask a question first...

What's the difference between reserved ranges page and pending ranges page?

Exactly my question. Matt?

Matt
06-20-2005, 04:47 AM
Pending ranges are those marked as complete by the user, the idea is that the admins verify the range has been successfully submitted and record the number of factors found.

The aim of this is to prevent a malicious user marking a whole load of ranges as complete without anyone noticing. I'll add this as a note on the pending ranges page.

Nuri
06-20-2005, 09:00 AM
I see your point... may be we should also think of another name for that page.

BTW, my range over there was completed in 2004, you can drop it from the list.

;)

engracio
06-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Matt,

In addition while clicking away on the website, I accidentally deleted a range which I just completed but was working on at that time. Can you maybe add a "are sure you want to delete this range?" question? This could prevent oopsy by others. Thanks.

e:)

Matt
06-20-2005, 03:06 PM
I've added a confirm step to abandoning a range.

I'm not sure whether to get rid of the pending stage or not, I don't really know how much checking up goes on from the admins about what ranges are complete and what aren't. Can I have some input from the admins about whether they think the pending stage is needed or not?

royanee
06-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Unverified as Complete would probably be a better phrase. Though, you could just show that list to admins and not show it to people who couldn't touch it anyway.

Nuri
06-21-2005, 01:24 AM
How about, "Recently Completed Ranges" ?

Matt
06-21-2005, 08:17 AM
I think I might just hide the list completely and put a note to users that once they've confirmed it won't appear in the completed list immediatly.

IronBits
06-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Or you could use...
[reserved] when you get a range
[finshed] when you submit the range as completed
[completed] when admin confirms it
The user knows where it's at, no pressure from admins to have it show [completed]

[finished] to the admins means you have work to do
[finished] to the users means that range was worked on until the end ;)

vjs
06-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I like this idea of finished and complete.

Nuri
06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I like that too.

Still, some more brainstorming...

[reserved] when you get a range
[completed] (or [finished] is fine as well) when you submit the range as completed
[confirmed] (or [confirmed complete]) when admin confirms it

OverlordQ
06-21-2005, 03:24 PM
How about throwing a Verified in there at the end?

[Reserved]
[Completed]
[Verified] or [Verified Complete]

royanee
06-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Sounds great! I like the past two suggestions the most, not sure between verified and confirmed, both are great though. :)

Matt
06-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Ok, I've changed it in all the places I can find, pending is now "finished" and "complete" is now "verified complete" or "verified" (or in some cases "complete". I assume there is a mechanism some where for the admins to actually be able to verify that ranges have been complete, presumeably when they get sent the fact.txt etc.

vjs
06-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Matt,

Users have the same ability to verify if a range has been completed, basically Mike's gap check pages. Although Joe and I believe Mike wrote a couple other programs to check for smaller gaps, read the high-n low-p thread for more details.

Matt
06-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Sorry my server was down over the weekend, I was away and there was a 24 hour powercut followed by a misconfigured firewall issue. It should be back on track now.

hhh
06-29-2005, 04:33 AM
I just signed in in the page, and after signing in it would be good to be logged in immediately.
I think, we should start to give us a deadline for when to go out of beta. This thread is quite much dead, I think, everything works quite well, people are posting muchles then before, how about transferring the reservation site to the seventeenorbust server end of July (31 is a Sunday)?
I'm perhaps the wrong person to propose this because I did nothing, and I have no idea whether the guys who can do it have time or not, but I see that it is working, and Matt did this work in order to get rid of the old reservation system, and not to have two of them.
Please don't regard this post as insisting and impertinent, but as a respectual bow to the accomplished work.
H. :notworthy

vjs
07-08-2005, 10:56 AM
O.K. Matt Your site is now live :scared: !!!

I've gone through as admin and reserve all ranges <900T and >991T so that there are no overlaps with the forum. Please don't allow reservations outside this range.

We are also going to go with the 991-50M dat from 900T+ so I'd recommend that everyone use it. If people still want to use the older 1-20M dat they can. But their ranges will be resieved again later...

If you insist on using the old 1-20M please reserve using the sieve thread as normal and reserve less than 900T.

Factor density differences between 850T and 900T are not that great. Also the 90% level is at 920T so people will be getting the max points scored. I think this will work well as a transition.

Depending upon how your reservation system works etc we can always expand or reduce it's size. The cross reservations main thread to automated thread should take care of any potential overlaps and stop them from occuring. (91T worth or reservation is a big chunk)

Please post any problems your having with the system here and Matt will try to take care of them.

I'd also appreciate if you could add some sort of date stamping to users ranges. (Auto date stamping that is)

Matt
07-08-2005, 08:12 PM
There is a date stamp on all ranges anyway, just on some pages it's not displayed, give me a shout where it's not there and you want it.

vjs
07-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Anyone have any comments on the site.

I've updated it today with user info etc, if there are anyproblem let me know.

vjs
07-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Matt,

(This is all admin side some problems Joe found others myself)

The "All ranges" needs a from and to so that it doesn't take forever to respond.

Also it has to refresh every time I change one range. Second if there is a mistake or overlap etc in edit 3 of 5 the 4th and 5th don't change even though they are correct.

This wouldn't be much on an issue if a from to were allowable.

Also when editting a range to split it it told me that there was an overlap.
An overlap with its former self???

I was able to get by this with a delete then enter it twice to split it...

How hard would it be to allow the beginning of the range to be increased leaving a gap and or the end of the range to be decreased again leaving a gap? (Quick Fix)