PDA

View Full Version : Two ranks: Overall & Current Protein

Scott Jensen
05-30-2002, 02:29 PM
There should be two rankings instead of just one. Currently there's just your overall ranking. Overall rank as determined by how many work units you've turned in as compared against all the other crunchers since this project started. However, there should be one for just the current protein. This is something that in a way clears the playing field with each new protein that is rolled out and will keep making this dc project a bit more fun and fresh competitive-wise as it ages.

Overall rankings can be a "bit" depressing for those of us with little CPU power. Most dc projects' top contributors rarely get unseated or fall far once a dc project has only been running for a short period of time.

Now I'm not taking anything away from these top overall crunchers, I'm just asking that another measuring stick be added to allow people to have a chance at making a good showing in the rankings for at least one protein. Especially when some of the top overall crunchers seem to leave the project once in a while to pump up their ranking in other dc projects. They sometimes only seem to return when their rank is threaten here. Which is another reason to have this second ranking system: keeping top crunchers crunching for DF all the time.

In addition to this dual ranking system for individuals, it naturally should also be done for teams.

Digital Parasite
05-30-2002, 02:36 PM
I'll second that, it would be nice to have an overall stats/ranking and a "current protein" stats/ranking since things change fairly often around here.

Jeff.

pointwood
05-31-2002, 04:04 AM
/me likes that idea too! :thumbs:

Brian the Fist
05-31-2002, 10:53 AM
I can and will do something along these lines but for now all stats changes are 'frozen' until we complete the new backend, which may be several weeks. So please be patient and we'll revisit this later.

Scott Jensen
05-31-2002, 01:00 PM
Patient?!?!?! We're to be patient?!?!?! You're talking to an American here, bud. The last time us Americans were patient was when we waited for George Washington to take two whole seconds to put in his wooden teeth before taking on those darn redcoats! And even then we were grumbling that he could have easily done it in one.

;)

Here's a suggestion that would relieve some of the concerns and anxieties of those of us suggesting new ideas. The fear I refer to is that our ideas will soon be forgotten and die in oblivion on this forum as they get pushed further and further back by newer threads. The solution being another new section like Educational be created and this one being titled: Wish List. Treat it the same as Educational in that new threads cannot be started up in it but are moved to it from this general discussion forum by DF staff. The move is after everyone's apparently given their two-cents on the idea and then someone on DF's staff posts a reply as to the DF staff's final take on the idea (though hopefully not necessarily first staff post to the thread), likelihood of it being done, and if it is a good doable idea, when that might happen. And I'd put into that Wish List section those that you don't want to do or cannot do so at least there's a record of that idea being addressed so those that think it up again later can see it has already been discussed and why it was rejected. Naturally, the section should allow on-topic replies so if someone has a new spin to an old idea, it can be presented there or if someone wants something more clarified it can be done. The intro post to that section should tell posters to:

First, read through the section and see if their idea or spin on the idea has already been presented and discussed. AND encourage non-topic replies if they've got a new spin or want more of an explanation for something.

Second, if they have a new idea that hasn't already been proposed in the section, that they must first toss it out for consideration and ripping apart by us merciless blood-thirsty raging jackals here in the general discussion forum.

After the intro post, there should be a post from the DF staff (which should never move from that location) talking about all the up-and-coming ideas that are in the works and which thread (giving the thread's title) below discusses them in more detail. This could also be a good place for you to ask for volunteers to help with said idea and what credentials you're looking for in applicants.

Stardragon
05-31-2002, 02:37 PM
I would say we have been pretty good with addressing requests that have originated from members and have been reasonably feasible.

That stands even for requests that had become somewhat old/pushed back by newer threads, as is the case with the team total statistics.

We keep good records of any modifications we promised you, so rest assured that if we said we'll look into it, it shall be done :p

Although things may get hectic at times, we're on top of our game, so you are in capable hands :D

Richard Clyne
05-31-2002, 03:02 PM
Got to agree with Stardragon on this one. I have yet to see another project that listens to the peeps taking part.

Keep up the good work:thumbs:

Scott Jensen
05-31-2002, 03:37 PM
My suggestion wasn't a complaint and/or an accusation that suggestions go unrecorded and forgotten. It was a suggestion for making people feel that this is the case. It also would be a way for people to see in one place what has been suggested and of that what has been rejected, is being considered, on the docket, and even what is being currently worked on. I agree and have said elsewhere on this forum that this project has done a good job at cruncher relations. My suggestion was merely one that I felt would improve it even more.