PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Coming

black_civic55
06-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Ok well my mom has finally given in and realized we need a new desktop. (thank god i have a laptop) Besides the new computer though i wanted to ask you guys what parts i could keep from the old computer to use as a cruncher.

I know computers but when it comes to the internal hardware im lost. So I'd pretty much like to use the old computer as a cruncher but get rid of all the crap i dont need. Any help is very appreciated.

Bok
06-01-2005, 12:44 PM
So, what is the specs on the old one currently ?

Bok

black_civic55
06-01-2005, 01:11 PM
its a 1.3 Ghz Pentium 4
640 MB RAM

It's got a simple burner, Voodoo 2 card and all the other basics that come with a computer. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Bok
06-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Unless you want to reuse any of the components I'd leave it as is I think. Perhaps take out the burner.

Bok

rsbriggs
06-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Ahh - leave as is. You'd probably get more out of doing some minor tuning up of the OS and defragging the HD than fiddling with the hardware any....

Repeat until memorized for life: "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

Scoofy12
06-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by rsbriggs

Repeat until memorized for life: "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

NEVER!!

my motto: "If it ain't broke at least once, it ain't been tweaked enough"

time constraints being the main limiting factor of course.

all that said, leaving it as is sounds like the right thing to do. but hey you can still install linux on it, so you can manage it nicely from your laptop or new desktop (Shh! nobody tell him about VNC or remote desktop! :) )

black_civic55
06-01-2005, 07:43 PM
hmmm never thought about linux, thats something i know almost nothing about. I went to the site and read the basics about it but can some one post the pros and cons about it.

jasong
06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by black_civic55
hmmm never thought about linux, thats something i know almost nothing about. I went to the site and read the basics about it but can some one post the pros and cons about it.

I plan on installing it on the cruncher I won, so while I hope the following opinions turn out to be accurate for my experience, they're hearsay for at least the next two weeks.

Pros: It's free. Unless you're interested in hardcore gaming, you should be able to find a program online that will do what you want it to do. It's free. A lot less bloatware comes with Linux programs. It's free. Wine, a Windows simulator I've heard about but never used.

Cons: Learning curve similar to when you had to learn how to use Windows, some things harder to learn, some things easier. Hardcore gamers might not like what Linux has, or doesn't have, to offer. Also, there's the reputation Linux has earned as being a hacked together mishmash of programs that cost more money in maintenance than they're worth. That last one is a popular opinion, and may actually be thought of as true if you're a "maintenance minimalist."

Myself, I'm a Windows addict and probably won't switch unless I, ironically enough, earn enough money to buy more hardware.

black_civic55
06-01-2005, 10:20 PM
thanks for that help jasong

how is linux when used with DC projects? I'm not sure if i remember but I swear i saw posts that said linux was faster. I could be wrong though. Also what was this that scoofy mentioned. Sumin bout managing it from another computer?