PDA

View Full Version : Which Red Hat?

CaptainMooseInc
06-02-2005, 04:38 PM
So,

My univeristy allows me to download Red Hat 4 Enterprise. They have 4 editions available for DL.

I've downloaded the ISOs for Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS version 4 for x86.

There are 3 more editions I can download, which (or all) should I download for later use?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS version 4 for x86
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS version 4 for ia64
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS version 4 for x86_64

I don't know what the difference between AS and WS for x86 is.

ia64 is for the Intel Itanium processor and the x86_64 is for AMD Athlon64's right???

I know I'll never have the Itanium processor but I may have an AMD64 at one point or another.

These are all available to me in 4 part ISO files.

If anyone wants a copy you can let me know via PM. Someone please explain what the difference between all these are and which ones are suitable for me.

-Jeff

rshepard
06-02-2005, 04:46 PM
AS is one of their server packages. WS is for workstations.

rsbriggs
06-02-2005, 04:52 PM
"AS" = advanced server... You really only need the workstation (WS) version...

IIRC - those are fairly old versions of RH...

GHOST
06-02-2005, 05:07 PM
THIS IS PROBABLY THE ONE YOU WANT.

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Bok
06-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Actually RHEL4 is fairly recent. You shouldn't be advertising to just giving that out though.......although you wouldn't be able to get any updates without an account at RedHat. I may have to edit or move this thread I'm afraid.

I still run RHEL3 on a few servers at work. If you are going to actually use RH personally you're better off getting Fedora.

Bok

rsbriggs
06-02-2005, 05:52 PM
I thought the current RHE was 5.2 or somewhere in that vicinity.

And, as Bok mentions, that particular piece of software is NOT freely distributable, unless your University has made some special arrangements with Red Hat, they are quite probably breaking the law allowing those downloads......

CaptainMooseInc
06-02-2005, 05:57 PM
My University has deals with them.

I can get Office 2003 Pro full copy DLed in about 15 mins from their site using my broadband connection.

All I really needed to know what what AS and WS was so if you need to remove the thread I'm cool w/ that.

-Jeff

PY 222
06-02-2005, 05:57 PM
RH EL v4 is the most recent one. It was just released early this year, I believe.

I had the impression that the subscription that we pay for RH EL versions are for the support/updates/certifications and not the actual OS itself and the OS can be freely distributed?

Is that correct?

Bok
06-02-2005, 06:14 PM
That's what I was unsure of, you certainly pay for the subscription, so I think it's implied, but I don't think you can publicly download it as far as I know..

I havea few friends who work at RedHat so I could check, it is only about 15 miles from my house to the corporate HQ :)

Bok

PY 222
06-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Bok, yes please.

It would be very interesting to me and possibly quite a number of others to learn more regarding the subscription of RH EL.

In any case, Linux in any distro is still Linux.