View Full Version : New members!

em99010pepe
06-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Welcome Shish and LichtJF!

:cheers:

Carlos

Darkness Productions
06-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Welcome Shish. I'm with you, experiments without warning aren't experiments, and have no business happening with such a large install-base. Pull up a chair, and get comfortable.

Shish
06-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Cheers and beers DC.
I`m just a bit tired of all the carping and complaining over there and that was the last straw especially as all the polls held were not in favour of the "little" no warning experiment.
Maybe it`ll stir up some of the other old timers, maybe not. Inertia is a great backstop.

black_civic55
06-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Welcome both! :drums:

Bok
06-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Welcome all,

Shish, wherabouts in Gateshead are you? I'm from South Shields myself, lived in Gateshead (Festival Park) for a year before I moved to the US :)

Bok

Shish
06-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi Mate.
Ex pat Sand dancer eh?
I`m just off Leam lane.
Nearly went to the US a while back as I was offered residence as part of my job but the wife (after having all the kids abroad) got to be unhappy more than 5 miles from Gateshead High St and the offer was an all or nothing family thing.
Would have preferred OZ myself after working round the Great barrier Reef and visiting various family there but the company wouldn`t wear it so settled down back home now where it`s the first and last time I`ve worked there.

Bok
06-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Know it well..almost went to OZ myself, had a choice of there or here 8 years ago..may well have gone to Oz if it had been Sydney or Melbourne, but it was Canberra....

I do miss the Quayside, my company still has their major offices on Team Valley :)

Bok

black_civic55
06-05-2005, 03:04 PM
also a big welcome to rdrunr :thumbs:

Shish
06-05-2005, 03:13 PM
You should come and visit, you wouldn`t recognise the Quayside now, more like Sydney Harbour what with the new Opera House/Theatre and all the new stuff.
Maybe post a pic from the webcams on the Tyne Bridge for you.

PY 222
06-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Welcome guys.

Its great to have additional firepower on this project. :thumbs:

Bok
06-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Shish
You should come and visit, you wouldn`t recognise the Quayside now, more like Sydney Harbour what with the new Opera House/Theatre and all the new stuff.
Maybe post a pic from the webcams on the Tyne Bridge for you.

Was there last November :) Is that what that building was, on the G'head side ?

Bok

Fozzie
06-05-2005, 03:25 PM
one and all.

LichtJF
06-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Having hasd a fallout with an old teamate it is nice to be a part of Free-DC.

Now, What can we do about ARS?

em99010pepe
06-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Welcome Jarmo!

Carlos

PS (Bok, could you check my eOn, Dnet and DPAD signature? Thanks)

Bok
06-05-2005, 05:46 PM
You've just got the wrong id's in there...

for rc572, this is the url for drilling down to your id's

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/userstats.php?proj=rc572&name=440032

so in that url string is name=440032

that is your id for RC572.

Do the same thing for Eon and dhep to get those id's :)

Perhaps a screenshot in the FAQ ?

Bok

em99010pepe
06-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Bok
You've just got the wrong id's in there...

for rc572, this is the url for drilling down to your id's

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/userstats.php?proj=rc572&name=440032

so in that url string is name=440032

that is your id for RC572.

Do the same thing for Eon and dhep to get those id's :)

Perhaps a screenshot in the FAQ ?

Bok

Once again I am going to try. Thank you.

Carlos

EDIT:

Now I know what I was doing wrong. The ID's are in your stats page!

Shish
06-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Might be some delays in answers Bok cos I`m actually in hospital just now but enjoying the benefit of a life in IT that I can access my home net via vnc.

Yep, the old Rank Flour Mill is now an international arts centre with a building size screen down one side and the big glass beetle is the all new singing and dancing Sage theatre and opera, performing arts etc which is just about to open.
Here`s the promo link with the webcams and all Gateshead and Newcastle webcams (http://www.tynebridgewebcam.com/) .
Anyway, enjoy a real time link to the old place. I`m off to raid the drugs fridge for a bottle of my favourite Carlsberg Special :cheers:

em99010pepe
06-06-2005, 02:07 AM
Another one joins the club. Welcome Beyond!

Carlos

black_civic55
06-06-2005, 10:07 AM
and willebenn!! Welcome you two.:elephant:

rdrunr
06-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I got annoyed with ars and their nonsense and am contemplating moving my other accounts as well. Hope my contribution helps
-Mike

em99010pepe
06-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by rdrunr
Thanks for the welcome. I got annoyed with ars and their nonsense and am contemplating moving my other accounts as well. Hope my contribution helps
-Mike

Welcome to a FREE team.

Carlos

MonsterMan
06-06-2005, 02:25 PM
For all the new people, we are planning the coup of all coups. Right now we are the little start up that is putting a small dent in Ars' lead in Trial Factoring in Gimps. We figure they will never expect anyone to try to overcome their enormous lead. Arsians also feel it is insermountable and no one would dare try to take them on.

Well, we are trying. Presently in 160th place, we are moving up consistently. However, we do need some additional help. P4's are the best for this project, but the new AMD 64's work well with their SSE2 instructions.

If interested, check out the Gimps sub forum and go to the How to join thread.

Please feel free to start a thread announcing you intentions or asking any questions.

heretic
06-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I am also in need of a refuge.

heretic

em99010pepe
06-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by heretic
I am also in need of a refuge.

heretic

You're welcome here.
I played alot of times a game called Heretic (FPS).

Carlos

Bok
06-06-2005, 05:36 PM
heretic,

you're always welcome here :)

Bok

heretic
06-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Bok
heretic,

you're always welcome here :)

Bok

Thank you :)

heretic

rsbriggs
06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Heretic,

Come on in and make yourself at home. Seems like about 1/2 the team is from that side of the pond. (Notes: We're soon going to have to start stocking virtual tea and crumpets and some Guiness in the fridge.)

black_civic55
06-06-2005, 06:05 PM
everyone is welcome here!

i also used to play heretic.... great game...

heretic
06-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm more into doom myself - but then i'm an oldie ;)

meep
06-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the DIMES effort and to Free-DC...

Good to have you here!

on a side note. rsbriggs, whats happened to your DIMES output? I have just upped mine in response to you passing me, and youve slacked off?

rsbriggs
06-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Dunno - I really haven't checked any of the clients in about a week. Perhaps they've all died off?

PY 222
06-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Welcome heretic and willebenn.

Hope you guys will have fun here. :cheers:

Bok
06-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by heretic
I'm more into doom myself - but then i'm an oldie ;)

Original Doom was the best one... other than that I've not really liked FPS's too much..

Still play Diablo II though :)

Bok

heretic
06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
I had an SGI workstation with 16 graphics processors that I played Doom 1 on. I could play it in 1600 x 1200 sometime around 94/95 with good framerates. It is probably the most expensive games machine I have used ;)

heretic

Jkusuda
06-06-2005, 07:22 PM
DII? I had to give it up because I was spending way too much time playing it. When the xpac was first released, I was in the top 40 of amazons reaching level 99 and with a 100% pvp build!!! The good ole days of playing DII.

:cheers:

rsbriggs
06-06-2005, 07:45 PM
I've had every DII character and build up to between 80 and 90. You name it, I've probably done it.... Strafe and Multi-Zons, Hammer Pallies, IronSkin Barbs, Trapper Sassies, Druids, Necros in any flavor you can name, Fire, Ice and Lightning Sorcs (they kind of suck, but my CB sorc was kind of fun). At one time I had nearly 200 active accounts (1500+ characters going), and needed a spreadsheet to track all my characters and gear - for no other reason than to make sure none of the accounts timed-out...

Oh, and I've only ever played a single softcore game, the very first one - through killing Diablo... I played nothing except hardcore thereafter. I would hate to even guess how many characters I lost to the lag monster... I can still remember nearly every death, and every time I was PK'ed...

That game ate nearly 6 years of my life. And I mean it ate them!

In those six years, I never got more than 2 or 3 hours of sleep per night; sometimes I would play from Friday after work straight through until it was time to go to work on Monday morning. And to this very day I am unable to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time...

Hey - we could put together a Free-DC team. On-line. Hard-Core. Pick a realm....

Shish
06-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Nice to see another refugee Heretic.
There seems to be a lot of spinning wheels over at Ars but still the same people and God help anybody trying to keep up with a thread or subject as it zips down the page.
More posts don`t mean more real activity.

Personally, I still play Elite on a C64 and have done since it came out but I dabble in Eve online (lot like Elite) and an occasional burst of Halo.
I used to know one of the top guys in the UK for SGI graphics stations and he was a pain cos he made so much money when we were all just starting off in IT and earning pennies. I am a REAL oldie.
I may not be around too much the next week or so as they`re sorting out some spinal surgery for me so I`m getting a lot of tests and suchlike. Even got a travelling bed as I shuttle between 2 hospitals and you want to see the 3x28in widescreens it has. Would be magic for playing a high res shooter on but the IT boss won`t lend me one.
Anyway, how`d you like a bed that cost £420,000 and has it`s own computers and screens built in courtesy of Fujitsu?

Bok
06-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Good luck Shish.

Going in for surgery myself on thursday, though it's nowhere near as severe, 3 hour op on my sinuses....

Bet it costs me a lot more than you though :bang:

/Bok wishes for the NHS in this case..

Bok

Shish
06-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Mine`s private, paid for by my ex (Brazilian) employer (now on Blue cross) and my lifetime insurance with Bupa courtesy of a court settlement after an accident in the North Sea in 1978.
It also helps that I got the IT director here his job and he is a childhood friend.
But the NHS is coming on leaps and bounds and this hospital now has bedside phones and net access from a private company (not too expensive unless somebody rings inwards) though mine is via the hospital network with a vpn to home.
Anyway, I got my own room, my own staff and even my own chef (he`s Hungarian but I`m teaching him), not exclusive of course, as well as beer in the drugs fridge. Not exactly the NHS you probably remember but I`ve also known the ward sister since she was my girl friend in primary school and it is around £520 a day for this room.
Just been to another hospital today for a scan on their super scanner and I may or may not be having an op soon to remove a tiny piece of bone broken off one of my vertebrae which is lodged in the nerves and wreaking havoc. They will also decide whether to repair the disc which is bulging in over at the same time. Whether I can walk or not after this is debatable but I have to get something done cos I`m getting a lot of scrambled signals up the nerves which are converting pressure sense to heat and playing havoc with the circulation because of it.
Not too worried, I`ve had a good working life and life in a chair doesn`t bother me.
Just need to keep the visitors down to a reasonable level to get some peace and quiet so I can re do my CCNP. Not that I need to work, I have good enough pensions when I fully retire.
Anyway, now need to figure where I can put the 2 home dual Athlons to good use as they`re running F@H just now as well as Dimes but I may try a change.

CaptainMooseInc
06-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I play Diablo 2 stilll. Actually I just got into it. I am not that good though. I'm a lvl 51 barbarian that has a bunch of skill points stacked into Axes (they are COOL AS HELL) and the Concentrate skill.

I like big muscle head characters. Mages are always too powerful in Multi-Level Dungeon style games, I like to hack and hack and hack my way through stuff.

I see sorceresses running through with this little dagger spell that shoots out blue daggers and they walk through anything they touch. I like getting surrounded by 20-50 cows and hacking my way out over the course of like 6 or 7 minutes. That's real fun.

I'm on the USEast Server. The username is LubeUpThePope and the character is Kith-Khan. Anyone can PM me to find out details of when I play and maybe we could get a game running.

My roomie is a Necro that raises things and has them fight for him. He'd play too.

-Jeff

LichtJF
06-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Belatedly welcomes all the refugees from ARS Team Jello. We appreciate you joining our humble team. Now if you will excuse me, I wasn't expecting so many new faces for dinner.:jester: I must go shopping my cupboard is bare and so many to feed :cheers:

Bok
06-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Shish
Mine`s private, paid for by my ex (Brazilian) employer (now on Blue cross) and my lifetime insurance with Bupa courtesy of a court settlement after an accident in the North Sea in 1978.
It also helps that I got the IT director here his job and he is a childhood friend.
But the NHS is coming on leaps and bounds and this hospital now has bedside phones and net access from a private company (not too expensive unless somebody rings inwards) though mine is via the hospital network with a vpn to home.
Anyway, I got my own room, my own staff and even my own chef (he`s Hungarian but I`m teaching him), not exclusive of course, as well as beer in the drugs fridge. Not exactly the NHS you probably remember but I`ve also known the ward sister since she was my girl friend in primary school and it is around £520 a day for this room.
Just been to another hospital today for a scan on their super scanner and I may or may not be having an op soon to remove a tiny piece of bone broken off one of my vertebrae which is lodged in the nerves and wreaking havoc. They will also decide whether to repair the disc which is bulging in over at the same time. Whether I can walk or not after this is debatable but I have to get something done cos I`m getting a lot of scrambled signals up the nerves which are converting pressure sense to heat and playing havoc with the circulation because of it.
Not too worried, I`ve had a good working life and life in a chair doesn`t bother me.
Just need to keep the visitors down to a reasonable level to get some peace and quiet so I can re do my CCNP. Not that I need to work, I have good enough pensions when I fully retire.
Anyway, now need to figure where I can put the 2 home dual Athlons to good use as they`re running F@H just now as well as Dimes but I may try a change.

You worked in Brazil ?

I've been to Brazil 4 times this year, to Sau Paulo, though I visited Rio too. My insurance in the US is also Blue Cross. I estimate my total costs will be roughly $20K, I'll end up paying about $4k of that...

The medical care here is VERY good, but expensive. It's quite a shock compared to what I was raised with in the UK. Of course, close by me, I have Duke University, possibly the foremost, best medical univeristy on the planet.. With my son, wife ( who is type 1 diabetic), and a daughter on the way :) I think medical bills cost me in the region of $20K per year or so..

Bok

heretic
06-07-2005, 05:22 AM
Hi Shish,

It least we are the lucky ones, we have (had) a place to go to, and a good place at that :) . It has always, to my knowledge, been very friendly here. I got tired of the style of leadership shown. Anyway, done is done, as they say where I come from.

I'll still keep my farm crunching for tpr for the time being, but there are other projects that might be in need of a little help :D

heretic

PCZ
06-07-2005, 05:42 AM
Welcome heretic :cheers:

PS
Have you still got that monster farm ?

PPS
FAD is a very worthy project

rsbriggs
06-07-2005, 06:18 AM
PPPS - Free-DC has a tiny Trial Factoring team that's trying to take on TPR....

heretic
06-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
Welcome heretic :cheers:

PS
Have you still got that monster farm ?

PPS
FAD is a very worthy project
I have :D - 24 nodes now

heretic

heretic
06-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
PPPS - Free-DC has a tiny Trial Factoring team that's trying to take on TPR....
That is the one project I am not moving :D

Good luck tho - you are taking on a massive team :)

heretic

Shish
06-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi Heretic, you had me a bit confused on whether you were here or there or both.
As you say, the style of leadership is not to my taste either.
Never been a one to take kindly to being forced into something, brings out a stubborn streak.

Bok.
I worked for Braznoc for a while many years ago but my last job away from home was for Odebrecht which is a big Brazilian multi national oil/gas/chemicals/construction/heavy engineering outfit with a finger in a lot of pies.
They did their damndest to keep me working for them but Health and Safety and insurance took me out of the game and I didn`t fancy becoming office bound in Houston or Sao Paolo so they let me go but they`re an old fashioned, patriarchal type outfit who look after their people even after they`ve left so part of the deal was a lifelong worldwide medical insurance which has just changed to Blue Cross and is totally free for whatever is required. They also paid a lot of money for various health things before I left which included a trip to Stanford Hospital and they tied a big donation to some research into one of the conditions I suffer from which is Soft Tissue Rheumatism. I was just recently on a flying trip in and out of Miami and Houston for some surgery on my hands and wrists but I didn`t get time to linger as it was literally Miami airport to hospital to Houston and back to the airport.
I`ve now piqued the interest of a professor of neuro surgery at the RVI so I`m getting top line care in their new unit which means shuttling there and back complete with bed cos I`m not allowed to move hardly in case I risk this bone fragment moving. That`s a new developement and I`m not too happy being almost literally tied to the bed, especially as I`ve had this for at least 2 years. Reckon it would have crippled me before now if it was going to. I actually came in here for some other surgery to repair a cracked big toe and sort out a few other things but the rest has snowballed after they started trying to figure out why pressure on my skin caused me to start overheating.
I`ve actually been to Brazil several times with different outfits and love it but getting the wife to move is impossible, especially now, and tho` I quite like the US and have relatives there from way back, and a couple standing job offers (plus 2 pensions on hold) I`ve never wanted to actually move there.
The NHS has improved enormously of late if you have certain specific conditions but it`s been at some enormous cost. Doesn`t bother me tho` cos I just ring a number and they arrange whatever treatment I need and it can be anywhere in the world.
Lucky me I guess but I`m not looking forward to this op if it goes ahead cos it also means 4 months in a whole body cast which is a bit like being in a coffin and I ain`t ready to pop the clogs yet.

willebenn
06-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the welcome.
I'm not completely new around here (was on the FreeDC chess brain team) but was with the darkside in DistributedFolding for both phases.
My account for FAD also should be moved over to FreeDC shortly.
I don't run very much in the summer due to electric costs and heat but have 8 systems in a mini home farm for use when conditions are right.

Shish
I had a disk removed from my lower back several (12) years ago and I have a good idea of what you are going through. Good luck and speedy recovery.

em99010pepe
06-07-2005, 08:02 AM
PPPPS - eOn Free-DC Team is 6 days away from 3rd place. Help needed!

Carlos

Shish
06-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Willebenn, I`ve already had one done and a fusion which is now adding to the problems.
I`m at the stage now of as long as they don`t kill me outright I don`t care, but I`m first on the list for a whole body transplant...man or woman I don`t care :kiss: :rotfl:

Gotta go, lunch is up and at least I can still (just) cut up a steak and salad (my staple diet) :cheers:

em99010pepe
06-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Shish,

So are you a Liverpool fan?

Carlos

LichtJF
06-08-2005, 10:19 PM
A belated welcome to willebenn who joins us from the ARS Team!! It's nice to see you here.

Shish
06-09-2005, 02:04 AM
em99010pepe
Not really a footie fan but if at all, I`m a Magpie man cos that`s where I live.

Not doing too well health wise atm, and having some bad days and nights so may not be around much.
Also got some problems with one of the home machines which my young compadre is trying to sort out.
Keeps spitting out drives off the raid 5 array.
Anyway, he`ll get there in the end and I`ll get both machines (2.2 and 2.4 dual AMDs) finishing off their current F@H units then moved onto FAD. A change is as good as a rest they say.
Nice to see our production climbing a bit more but we could still use some more help.