PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh switches to Intel chips!

magnav0x
06-07-2005, 10:26 AM
That's right, no more powerpc. If you have stock in Intel you will be very pleased.<br><br>Mac maker announces that all machines will have Intel processors by end of 2007.<br><br>SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. said on Monday that it will shift to using Intel Corp. microprocessors in its Macintosh computers, severing its long relationship with International Business Machines Corp., which had supplied chips to Apple. <br><br>Full article here:<br><a href="http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/05/technology/wsj.apple.intel.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes">http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/05/technology/wsj.apple.intel.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes</a>

IronBits
06-07-2005, 10:39 AM
That's really a shame!
I was trying to find another computer that uses the powerpc, but didn't find any.

magicfan241
06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
That's really a shame!
I was trying to find another computer that uses the powerpc, but didn't find any.

AmigaOS4 uses PPC.

magicfan241

guru
06-07-2005, 01:15 PM
The good news is that OSX is coming to the x86 platform!

For once I'm glad to be working at Intel. :|party|: :|party|:

guru

Darkness Productions
06-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
That's really a shame!

Go get you one of them xSeries machines.... they still run PPC :D

QIbHom
06-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I really hate it when Steve Jobs decides to take business issues personally, and changes the entire platform. This is the second time he's pulled that stunt.

Makes me grateful to not be a black mock turtleneck wearing cultist.

And they aren't even switching to the better chip...

guru
06-07-2005, 08:13 PM
It wasn't about switching to a better chip, it was about being able to get processors in the volumes they want. AMD is in the same boat as IBM, they don't have the production volume that Intel does. Who cares how fast something is if you can't go out and buy it.

guru

QIbHom
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Guru, Intel has had their production issues, too. And what they are producing is end of the line stuff, not the coming stuff that Steve Jobs said Apple would buy.

So, he's committed to buying a chip Intel isn't even making yet. My head spins. I guess future production gets counted a different way than currently shipping chips.

Don't mean to slander your workplace. There was a time I swore by Intel chips. There will be something better than AMD that comes along, eventually.

guru
06-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Just because I work for Intel doesn't make me an Intel user. I'm very much an AMD lover. 75% of my home systems are AMD. Simply looking at the manufacturing side of things, Intel is a much better bet. Yes Intel has had its manufacturing problems but so do all manufacturing companies. AMD's major obstacle in winning OEM contracts has been its ability to manufacture CPU's in large enough quantities.

guru

rsbriggs
06-07-2005, 11:41 PM
So, Apple switches to Intel and away from PowerPC, and Microsoft switches away from Intel to PowerPC for their next console.

The whole world is upside down....

guru
06-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
So, Apple switches to Intel and away from PowerPC, and Microsoft switches away from Intel to PowerPC for their next console.

The whole world is upside down....

I think that's an Apples to oranges comparison. :jester:

guru