PDA

View Full Version : How slow is too slow for an assignment to be useful ?

rbutcher
06-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Greetings. I've just hooked a slow old box up to my LAN, seems to be taking about 11 minutes for a dimer with hsize 9, I presume will take proportionately longer for larger hsizes. Any guidelines as to a completion time beyond which it is useful ? i.e. if this box takes 45 mins to return some longer assignments are they still useful ?

graeme
06-24-2005, 12:21 AM
We tend to set the server so that the server transitions to a new state in about 10 minutes. We basically want each computer to have the chance to submit one work unit. If we set the transition time faster, we will be losing efficiency. A machine this slow will be pushing the limit. BTW, the HSize is only a small measure of the work unit size. Typically a search requires 500 force calls. The actual number is the FC variable, which is printed to stdout. If the search is successful, two minimizations are done, at about 150 force calls each, bringing the total to about 800. An Hsize of 9 will require an additional 9 force calls, which is a tiny fraction.

rbutcher
06-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Thanks for responding Graeme, sounds like the little beast is too slow, I'll give it something less demanding to do. cheers.

uncoolx2
07-05-2005, 01:57 PM
So how long does a computer have to complete and send back a work unit?

Because I have been thinking about dedicating a computer or two to the EON cause. But I have dialup and I can't be on the internet 24/7.

PY 222
07-05-2005, 02:24 PM
This project requires a constant Internet connection for it to be successful due to the nature of what they are doing.

Unless you only want to run the eOn client when you are online, you might want to look at an alternative project to crunch.

uncoolx2
07-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Ok thanks... I will let them keep on folding for F@H.