PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Arsians.....Again

Fozzie
07-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Wouldn't you know it those arsians are like rats always too many of them and they keep stirring up the ****.

So as usual we have the Spartans v Persians scenario.

Sure we have some really hefty hitters and major respect to them but we could do with many of our sub-5 boxen posse popping in to have a go and see if they like it.

We may be able to hold the hordes at bay for some time but we are losing inch by inch.

So if you fancy firing up a node or 6 give Dimes a go, it's not perfect but we've run worse clients.

:help:

PY 222
07-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Free-DC needs you, fellow cruncher!

So come with all you've got and blow them Ars out of the water. :cheers:

LichtJF
07-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by PY 222
Free-DC needs you, fellow cruncher!

So come with all you've got and blow them Ars out of the water. :cheers:

Can only fire up another boxen if someone magicly sends me one. I am at my limit here. Donations are accepted.

I am doin' the best I can capt'n but she canna take any more.

Bok
07-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Let's see what I can do.....

Go some machines which are dual boot I can switch to windows, without too much affect on their primary projects....

Bok

PCZ
07-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Anyone got the linux client to work ?

Bok
07-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Work, sort of, but only on manual traceroutes. Even then it's not that easy and you don't get scores..

we need a character only version, no java :p

Bok ;)

PCZ
07-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Yes I agree we need a CLI version.

PCZ
07-03-2005, 12:06 PM
We are almost matching the daily output of ARS keep it up

Shish
07-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Seems to be quite a few 0 work submissions from some of our guys.
Pity really cos the client plays so well with other DC stuff and uses almost no resources.
Notice on the Dimes forums, they`ve made some adjustment to their servers which has alleviated the memory problem. Apparently the server was sending out too much work as the client ran longer and longer.
It now seems to be happy to run for several days without needing a restart and stays much more reasonable on memory load, ie around 34Mb to 80Mb. and the extra memory is being used not just "leakage".

PCZ
07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Looks (http://stats.free-dc.org/new/projpage.php?proj=dimes) like we are a bit ahead today.

Nice turn around ;)

Fozzie
07-30-2005, 05:13 PM
:cheers:

magnav0x
07-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Doing rather well for only having 24 users submitting work, compared to their 68 :rotfl:

Shish
07-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Ars can`t even find half their team who`ve signed up with the wrong team name.
Now they`ve sorted the java out on their servers the Dimes project is dead easy to run on Windoze but still builds up in memory use over a few days and benefits from a reboot or stop start cos the screen doesn`t clear properly and you get floaters wandering around till you do a stop/restart.

FluffyChicken
07-31-2005, 03:01 PM
To anyone needing more boxes, just download the trials of VMWare (or VirtualPC) and get a WinXP or your prefered choice installed, JAVA, DIMES)

That's how I have had mine setup for quite a long time now.
2 VMWare's and the one in the normal OS = 2 overall.

Unfortuantly I use this computer quite a lot so have to turn the Virtuals off as I don't have the memory for it. But when I can just leave it it's cranking out (go look at my last couple of days). That's almost full days.

One other unfortunate side effect is FaD looses out a little with a drop from Rating ~85 to ~78, hey it is only a 512Mb 1GHz PIII-m setup.

But if you can set that up on your unused boxes and your bandwidth can take it then go for it.

Bok
07-31-2005, 03:24 PM
So what do you think a P4 3.0 with 3Gb ram and 10 vpc's is like then..... :jester: :Pokes:

Bok ;)

Fozzie
07-31-2005, 03:44 PM
stay back.

:spank:

Fozzie
08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
is kicking our Jedi arses again.

Even with The Force we are getting :stomp: in the dailies and we are looking like going down.

Will tehre be a rebellion?

PY 222
08-04-2005, 03:58 PM
I've given all I've got Captain!

Unless they come out with a Linux version, that's all I can give. :cry:

Shish
08-04-2005, 09:40 PM
OK, I got plenty Windoze licenses so where`s those trials and how long do they last?

BuddhaMan
08-05-2005, 08:30 PM
/me hides the trialware from Shish. :D

Shish
08-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Nothing is hidden on Micro$ from me.... I got contacts and access.

And Google is my friend :smoking:

Might have to get a full VMWare from one of my mates.

DAVE?/?? Where are you???

Shish
08-06-2005, 04:46 PM
HAH HAH !

VMWare license in my email.....

There is a God up there as well as on Ars.

Wonder if Virtual machine will run as well?

Hmmm...Windows Server 2003 and? .....2GiB of memory and 600Gb of hard drive space should be plenty.
Watch this space till I figger it all out.:bonk:

BuddhaMan
08-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Shish
...There is a God up there as well as on Ars... Heh...I resemble that remark! ;)

Shish
08-07-2005, 10:19 PM
OK....VPC on one machine and VMW on t`other. See how they compare and how easy it is to clone them off.
Plenty hard drive space as I run 4+4x250Gb raid5`s on each machine with a couple hot spares as well.
I`ve also checked with my ISP (I do know them quite well) and they don`t mind how many pings I do as the abuse team checks all their networks all the time anyway and I`m not breaking my c.o.u or no limit bandwidth agreement and they`ve notified the abuse team of what I`m doing so they know how to respond to any queries.

So, apart from taking the dog to the vet tomorrow A.M and going for my own checkup I should be cracking out some better numbers tomorrow. :D