PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP like Longhorn

IronBits
07-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I read an article, this is the .reg you need to make your Windows XP run with the Longhorn speedup.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24749 (2nd article)

Subject: Microsoft claims Longhorn will be, er, faster

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn
EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp.

snakeye

(At your own risk, Ed.)

If you break your computer - you own all the parts/pieces
Worked fine on my setup here - seems a tad snappier /shrugs
Anyone else try this?

(copy the below lines into notepad, save as Prefetch.reg then run it)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001

:cheers:

magnav0x
07-19-2005, 11:14 PM
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr
ol\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000001

Shouldn't that be:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr
ol\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001

Seems the article said EnableSuperfetch, or maybe I just read wrong. Having a lower value for "EnablePrefetcher" will actually make your computer run slower. I believe 3 is the max it should be at if you have WinXP SP2, but I hear a value as high as 5 will increase boot time quite a bit on WinXP SP1 and lower. Don't set it to 5 in Windows XP SP2, because I hear it corrupts the system.

IronBits
07-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Right you are :bang:
Fixed the original post ;)

Did some google searches

a new Longhorn kernel feature called superfetch that aggressively reads files and caches them in system DRAM to reduce disk accesses and increase systems performance. One source said superfetch will drive Microsoft to require a minimum of 1-Gbyte RAM on Longhorn systems.

Shish
07-20-2005, 10:21 PM
I saw this on another forum (MSFN I think) and the same question comes up again.
Do you replace the key with the new one or leave the old key in there as well?
Personally, I replaced/deleted the original key.

IronBits
07-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Did you notice any performance difference?
I haven't with both keys there /me shrugs
Interesting information none-the-less :)

magnav0x
07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't delete EnablePrefetcher, as that will disable your prefetching completely and could slow boot times/application startup times. EnableSuperfetch seems to be an extension for EnablePrefetcher. Run them both to be safe. No need to disable Prefetcher unless you have a system with low memory. If you want to disable Prefetcher just set EneablePrefetcher to 0.

Shish
07-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Can`t say I`ve noticed any difference but that`s on this ol` lappie.
Can VNC into home duals but I think any difference would be masked by the VNC lag on them which ain`t much as both them and me are on fast networks.
Just can`t really watch what they do.

Never mind, home on Friday with a bit of luck until at least Xmas before the big op.