PDA

View Full Version : mult. clients on one computer(somet. pitfalls, somet. not)

jasong
08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
I originally had 10 clients running to solve the ZZZ problem on my 2 computers(5 clients for each computer). For some reason, I stopped all the clients on my main machine. I then went back and, directory by directory, restarted each individual client. Now I have two computers, one running 5 unique instances, and one that just seems to want to clone the same job.

Is the solution to reinstall those 5 instances? And if it is, why is it caused on one computer, but not on the other?

Edit: I reinstalled and still have the same problem. My older computer is doing fine(Hmmmm...better check) so it'll stay on Eon with it's 5 instances.

I'm going to go get a couple days worth of Riesel Sieve sieving in the hopes someone will have posted a solution to the "clone" problem by then.

Seacrest OUT!!!

vaughan
08-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I had the same problem when I tried to clone eOn too on my xp3200.

I copied the eon sub-directory in program files to c:\pf\eon2 and deleted the CuEMTcli.dll from this clone so it would grab a new copy when it connected. Seemed to be ok until I noticed it was doing exactly the same task as the eon1 client.

Back to running one instance and running one of the BOINC projects to pick up the spare CPU cycles during the ZZZs.

alpha
08-19-2005, 04:14 AM
I've been running multiple instances from the same directory, and I never saw any work duplication.

Mustard
08-19-2005, 12:06 PM
I tried multiple instances on a few of my systems, and also saw the same task duplication problem. So I went back to one instance only. And then ended up with more zzz's again. Have become fed up with the zzz issue and moved off to rc5. Just too frustrating and wasting too much cpu time.

jasong
08-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Lexx
I tried multiple instances on a few of my systems, and also saw the same task duplication problem. So I went back to one instance only. And then ended up with more zzz's again. Have become fed up with the zzz issue and moved off to rc5. Just too frustrating and wasting too much cpu time.
/rantmode on

Speaking from experience, it's amazing how addicted we get to that 100% cpu utilization in Task Manager(or it's equivalent) when the vast majority of the population normally has their cpu down around 3% usage and doesn't care one bit that their cpu might be used for everything from finding gargantuan prime numbers to drug discovery to "studying the long-term dynamics of solids." Thank goodness there are people like us who think a maxed out cpu is a happy cpu and desire lots of happy little cpus. We have discovered happiness in a similar manner to the man who likes to collect proof of postage payment stickers(stamps) and put them in large hard-bound books so that he can happily stare at them for an endless number of hours.

In my personal experience with mental illness I've come to the conclusion that the difference between mentally ill behaviour and hobbies rests mostly on two things:

(1) Does it impair your ability to live a reasonably normal life?

(2) Does your behaviour scare friends, family, or neighbors?

So I get committed for thinking Saddam Hussein is in the United States, and yet Bush says the war is "going according to plan" and nobody bats an eyelash.

Go figure.

(Btw, this post is totally meant as humor, and that includes the comment about Bush, although at one point I WAS committed for delusional thinking and DID believe that Saddam Hussein had taken over the country. I'm feeling MUCH better, although I have a good understanding(from personal experience) as to why the government would prefer the mentally ill don't own guns. Shooting a monster and then having it turn into a relative or friend wouldn't be pleasant)
/rantmode off